1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, boobs without nipples

I actually found the service kit for the dash trim recall. Green Sales has two of them with the center piece missing, $425 each. Guess which piece of trim on my car is the worst, and guess who isn't paying $425 to replace everything but that part?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Anything you can maybe make yourself? Years ago I did my own wood inserts on a GM dash, it came out decent enough...
      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I'd really sort of need the original pieces as a backing if nothing else. The way the plastic is shaped, I don't think it could be veneered over without looking really bad. Bevels around the dash panels and odd compound curves on the door insert piece would be a real PITA to make work. I have seen pics of a re-veneer job on stock parts, it looks pretty good.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

New parts are nice sometimes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0412182203.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1283322

Name:	0412182204.jpg
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1283323
          and yes, that tag does tell me that it is a GM officially licensed product. Why that would be on a set of mats with Lincoln stars I do not know.

The mats were matched to the trunk carpet. Its actually pretty close, but you can see how much the rest of the carpet has faded.

and a shot of the car on it's stock wheels with new tires. It was not upside-down when I took the pic, the traction is not quite that impressive, though the tires do seem decent. Sumitomo Touring LST.

Name:	0408181144.jpg
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	1283324

Comment

Traction seems mighty impressive for being upside down, it's still on the road!

With those old man wheels it looks in dire need of wide-ish white walls, would look nice with the tu-tone paint it sports... But obviously it's your car, just my opinion on it.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Couldn't find white walls worth paying money for, so it got blackwalls. They would have looked better but I can't make myself pay good money for terrible tires.

Comment

You talking about those vogues or whatever? Yeah, I heard those are terrible. What about Coker tire? Although on second thought those are made for cars that never get driven.. Why my Townie got blackwalls. I'm still on the fence about those, would prefer whitewalls that are about 1.5-2.0x the width of the factory ones but nothing reputable of that nature existed at the time I went to buy tires for it.

Comment

Just any whitewalls, not specifically Vogue. I'm too cheap to buy those anyway. There just aren't very many options in whitewall for a 215/70r15. TireRack has zero. Amazon can get me Milestar, Travelstar, or Mastercraft at not crazy prices but I know nothing of those. They sound like cheapo tires though, and they're the same or more expensive than the boring blackwalls I did buy. They don't look awesome, but they function well.

Comment

Firestone offered a whitewall on Affinty/Precision Touring, but those lines got dropped for their Champion series. Of course the whitewall went with it. I know their FR710 series still offers it since I had to put that set on the ‘87. It’s a decently average all-season radial, but not quite as nice in my opinion compared to Affinty Touring. I still have a set of those on my ‘97.

I know Cooper Trendsetter and Hankook Optimo (H724 series?) offers whitewall options too, besides Firestone. Those are about the only three brands I’d trust getting tires from since they’re decent name brand ones. The extra el-cheapo ones probably aren’t worth their questionable origins.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I’ve had Mastercraft tires. Served me well.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I've got the Champion or fuel fighter tires on my Lincoln and like them. Nice grip, classic type tread pattern and the sidewall had less going on with it than other tires I found. I like a clean sidewall, hard to find these days.

Comment

Tonight was more cooling system service work. The expansion tank developed a hairline crack and it was seeping coolant. I also had a slight drip out of the radiator drain. The NOS expansion tank and radiator cap I picked up on ebay a couple months before I knew I needed them came in handy. For the radiator, once I pulled the drain valve I found that the rubber sealing washer in there had a very noticeable indent where it screws in. I flipped the washer over to the flat side, should hopefully buy me another 34 years.

Didn't take pics of the drain valve, but there just isn't all that much to see.

Coolant bottles, old and new. Added bonus, I can see what the coolant level is without sticking a flashlight on top of the bottle.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]49780[/ATTACH]

Hairline crack, it wasn't spraying but it would seep coolant. I figure this wasn't going to get any smaller, and if it decided to blow up it would be inconvenient.

Name:	0417181727a.jpg
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1283349

Rad caps, old and new. Same thing on the radiator cap as the rad drain, same fix as well. I flipped the rubber gasket over, and the old cap is on the shelf as a spare. I may buy another coolant bottle if dude still has some left.

Name:	0417181749.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1283350

Name:	0417181749a.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1283351
                          Last edited by gadget73; 04-17-2018, 10:17 PM.

Comment

One of the high pressure steering lines popped on this thing last week. Pinhole right below the crimp, and it was aimed to spray ATF directly onto the starter. Fun times. Napa could get the hoses, and amazingly they weren't even that expensive. $25 each for what is officially a one-year one-engine part is a steal in my book. Didn't really get pics of the process, taking pictures while arm deep in a greasy mess is not exactly easy, but really there isn't much to show. Its two hoses, just connect them. Like all Fox cars, the rack end of things sucks ass to access, unlike most Fox cars this one also has an AC compressor and lines that make it all a little more difficult. I got to do it twice too, got it all together and then I found the O ring that should have been on the rack fitting. I have no idea what is in the goo under that car, but I have visible staining on my arms from the point where my gloves ended up to my armpits. Couldn't scrub it off, I guess it will just have to wear away.

Installed poly rack bushings while I was in there. I had tried to unbolt the rack to get some extra clearance for getting the line in. Found that the bushings had turned to jelly, so the very lightly used poly bushings from the Mark VII's old rack went in.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by gadget73; 04-19-2018, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Jesus, this car has sucked you right in and is nickel-n diming you to death

Comment

Its to be expected. 30+ year old weirdo car, things break. So far none of it has been anything completely unreasonable to deal with. I suspect not many things from 1984 are still rocking original power steering lines with that many miles. Car has 182K on the odometer.

Comment

Working...
                                X