No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea I wasn't planning to just paint directly over it. I'll clean it up as best I can with wire brushes first to get rid of the loose crap. Its got loose paint flakes that I can just peel out of there, so that nonsense needs to go otherwise anything I put in there isn't going to stick.

Think I need both the converter and the encapsulator? I was planning to just use the encapsulator.

Inside the bumpers I was going to just wire brush and encapsulate. It doesn't need to be pretty, I just don't want the bumpers rotting from the inside out. The inner bumper support seems to be galvanized and in good shape so I'll probably leave those alone.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We did the backsides of my dads front and rear bumper for his explorer around april 2017 after he picked them up from a junkyard. He just wire brushed them and then we put the rust encapsulator on. It is blistering through one year later in areas...we seen this after we removed the bumpers to sell them as the truck was getting scrapped. He didnt like the idea of applying the rust converter and waiting the two days, then applying the encapsulator and waiting the day before topcoating.

Ive come to the point with things where if I want it to last I try to do everything possible to get it to do so.

I personally would topcoat the encapsulator as it is kinda like a primer. Majority of primers should be top coated sooner than later so they dont absorb anything.

Even something like rustoleum from a quart can should help out.

I wish you were closer. I purchased a gallon of that rust encapsulator and have much left. A little of that stuff does go a long way.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'll pick up some of the converter too then. I don't feel like fooling with this again either. Painting over it isn't a big deal, probably will just use some black Rustoleum since I have it. Inside the bumpers same thing, neither spot is visible so appearance doesn't matter. Access is bad inside the cowl though. The hole is probably a foot wide, but the area goes damn near fender to fender. Its basically arm deep to get all the way back inside, and I'll be working completely blind. The only alternative, and one I will not be taking, is to drill a metric fuckload of spot welds out and remove the upper panel for access.
        Last edited by gadget73; 06-07-2018, 07:21 PM.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Haven't been doing much besides driving the car lately, but I finally installed the nicer side mirrors. I found out that 1984 had a one-year mirror. It looks identical to all 84-87 mirrors, except electrically it runs backwards. The mirrors I installed are 1985-87 parts. Down on the mirror control is up on the glass, left on the control is right on the glass. I flipped the switch around so its not stupid. The one-year mirror switch.

No pics of the process, but its 2 nuts inside a door. Access is kind of a pain, and it requires going through a hole in the glass with the drop vent in exactly the right position to get to them. Otherwise its just a simple matter of routing the wire harness and plugging it in. Not sure what was up with the surround on the right side mirror, it looks almost like someone tried to brush paint it silver but gave up. The mirrors worked, they just looked like crap.
          Attached Files

Comment

How’s fuel economy with the diesel?
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Nice mirrors on the Lincoln !

Comment

It's a Lincoln, you can't be bothered with exposed fasteners for your mirror like the Mercury and Ford crowd!
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                  It's a Lincoln, you can't be bothered with exposed fasteners for your mirror like the Mercury and Ford crowd!
                  Its a better setup. Ours get rusted in place and you then strip out the fastener upon removal.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                    How’s fuel economy with the diesel?
                    Low-mid 20s. Not as spectacular as you might expect but I admit to not driving like a little old lady either. The Carlisle trip was about 24 mpg but much of that was 70-75 mph. I expect it would do a lot better at 55.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      ... finally installed the nicer side mirrors. ...
                      When I first looked at the third photo, the middle part of the reflection looked like someone in a black dominatrix outfit (fleshy part on top, black part in the middle, and fleshy-looking part on the bottom). It was really a "Wtf?" moment.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        Low-mid 20s. Not as spectacular as you might expect but I admit to not driving like a little old lady either. The Carlisle trip was about 24 mpg but much of that was 70-75 mph. I expect it would do a lot better at 55.
                        So that's probably a good factor as to why it didn't take off. HO equipped VII's pull about the same & twice as hard when mashed to the floor.. Interested to see the results at 55 though. The Oldsmobuicks with the ill fated diesel did really well, like upper 20's based on the Motorweek retro review I saw a while back.

Comment

The rated fuel economy is better than what I've managed so far. I want to say they claimed 28 or so. That may also be Mark VII numbers, and those are a bit more aerodynamic than the Continental is. I have actually fiddled with the fuel adjustments a bit more since the last highway trip so it might come up some.

Also consider this is a 185k engine with 5 of what are quite possibly original injectors. One of them is NOS, so that one ought to be right. I'm sure they are not working as good as they could be just based on the bit of nailing and uneven idle it does on a cold start. Diesel injectors are a wear item, once the spray pattern or the pop pressure gets too far off the efficiency goes down. They can be rebuilt if you have the nozzles. I just haven't quite felt like forking out the $200 for the parts plus another $100 or so for the pressure tester to make sure they're right once overhauled. I might do it this winter, but in the meantime its running reasonably well and I'm not real inclined to dick about with it.

Another reason these didn't sell was the extra cost, add to that the bad rap from the GM diesels and the falling price of gasoline by the time this came out and its no real surprise its pretty much an automotive dodo.

Comment

I'd like to try and own a diesel truck or something once in my life. I just can't get over the loud clatter and bro status image they have now. I've heard the OldsmoBuicks are actually pretty decent as far as the last model year is and if you make changes to the fuel system. I guess those were more prone to water in the fuel than cracked blocks like the reputation went.

Mark VII should do extremely well once you rebuild those injectors then, they're pretty slippery drag wise (or so Ford claimed at the time), especially compared to those GM diesels.

Comment

There was something with the Olds and a lack of clamping force on the heads. Its part of why they had issues, and why you can't boost one without more awesome fasteners. I don't think they had the good water sep fuel filter setups like the Euro diesels did either. Water in a diesel is a lot of NFG.

Almost anything is better aero-wise than the rolling bricks that had GM diesels.

Understand on the bro-factor. This one isn't real clattery so its not too obvious. It also has extremely quiet exhaust so you don't get that bruuup noise, and the turbo is small enough that you don't get ear piercing whine from a distance. I can't really even hear it in the car. The clutch fan that doesn't de-clutch for shit makes more noise than anything else.

Comment

It's that quiet huh? That's actually impressive. My 84 turbo mercedes is loud and rough, and that's how it was from the factory. However it puts out a good amount more power than the continental, so they may have made trade offs with that. The new mirrors look nice, I'll have to see this in person some time!
                                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                                X