1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I have no idea what to name this one yet. Its such a bizarre conglomeration of stuff and driving habits that I haven't sorted it out mentally. Open to suggestions.

So I bought this thing off 77Pantera because I like weird stuff. He apparently did too since he also bought it. No pics of the process but I went up to his place and trailered it home. Nothing really special there, imagine a car on a trailer hooked to a truck and thats what it was. Like all proper Ford projects, it was towed by a Chevrolet.

This was Lincoln's attempt at a powerful efficient car to combat the fuel crunch of 1979. Of course this was 1984, five years after anyone gave a damn about that so the resulting hybrid of a BMW turbo diesel engine in a mid-size Lincoln luxury vehicle really didn't sell too well. More engines went into the Mark VII than the Continental, but total production just wasn't all that much. Not sure specific figures but a few thousand cars total is apparently it.

Its old, it sat a long time, and it needs maintenance. Seems like it should fit right in around here Initially my plans are to give it a bunch of catch-up work to make it reliable. Timing belt, tires, cooling system service, change all the fluids, etc. Nothing you wouldn't expect to at least look at on a 180K mile 30 year old car that sat for a decade. Along the way I'll make some upgrades as I can. I'd like to have this reliable enough to get to Carlisle in 2018. I highly doubt much will have changed in the cosmetics department but I don't think its an unreasonable goal to have gotten the mechanical stuff sorted out by that point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171857a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	1304083Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171857b.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1304084Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171857.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1304085Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171856c.jpg
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1304086Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171856b.jpg
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	1304087Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171856a.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1304088Click image for larger version

Name:	1204171856.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1304089

I took it for a spin tonight after getting the charging system to work. It feels slow but isn't and feels like it should handle horribly but doesn't. The noises are so completely wrong that I can't even get my head around it.

https://youtu.be/i0K3-RFcdAg

turn the sound up, you can hear the little mill doing it's thing.

https://youtu.be/Si8__tWxJTo
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-04-2017, 11:56 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Sounds a lot better without the terrible belt squeal.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Should be a good mental project.

How about the Big Stinky?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I called it the Stinkin' Lincoln
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I’ve been waiting for this thread to start! Wouldn’t have thought they’d put duals on it. But for how much it cost new, it should have them!
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

That's awesome
            1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

OOo, pics of the Town Car! I like the poverty roof more and more. Looks purty. Now, on to the Conti...

I did not know they made those, I knew about the Mark VII diesel but didn't think it was offered on the Conti. Nice how Ford had to have their name on the rocker cover, like they're fooling anyone. Surprised at the mileage number, they drove the snot out of it. Needs interior pics.

"Like all proper Ford projects, it was towed by a Chevrolet."

The boobtube links don't work for me, shocker.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Ooh, passenger side gas door, so you know it doesn't get the regular go-go juice.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

The Choo Choo Sled

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                    Ooh, passenger side gas door, so you know it doesn't get the regular go-go juice.
                    That's a fox thing. Stupid Mark VII has thrown me damn near every time I've had to put gas in it. I've become one of those idiots who needs the indicator on the instrument panel. Should be on the driver's side though, convenience first man. Although, on the P side it reduces the chances of you throwing the door at the pole or high curb at the pump.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah the Mark VII fucks me up too. I'll now have two on the left and two on the right. I wonder how often I'll pull up the wrong way.

No interior pics until I at least put the dashboard back together. I took it to work so I had somewhere warm for the glue to set up. Then I forgot it there and its raining now so it will have to wait. Interior needs work, its ancient leather that was heavily sun baked. I used the last of my Lexol on it, need to order some more and slather it up until it softens a bit. The headliner was blue, its now more of a grey-blue color. Carpet is also verging towards grey. It needs a good shampoo job too.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool project. I’ve always like that generation of Continental.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I love the tu-tone paint
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

yea I always liked these in two tone, they're kinda blah single color. My granddad's girlfriend when I was young had one of these, but in the silver and maroon color combo.

Comment

Nice car. Good luck with it.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X