No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those impact strips on the Towncars get really bad looking. Anything that is plastic chrome gets that way. The headlamp bezel has the chrome flaking out of it. I have a nice used passenger side one in the car, and I found an NOS one for cheap but the other side remains more expensive. I did find one with no lenses on ebay for 50 or one with the marker lenses for like 70. The pics aren't quite as good as I'd like so I don't absolutely know if the area they get crappy in has gotten crappy. Maybe I'll message the seller and ask for a better pic of that area. Basically if you look at the bezel, the part that sits flat on the bottom is where they get bad, its also the part that the sun would beat on so its no surprise.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That radio cleaned up real nice. I can't see you putting the premium sound back in, once you go JBL you'll never go weaksauce again. Definitely a mod no one would wear a frownie face for. I have the premium vomit that came out of my '88, it's taking up valuable space...
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

No plans to re-install it, but mostly the goal was to not meddle with the wiring to any real degree. And yeah, by comparison the original stuff is pretty lame. I have the radio and the amp sitting around just because. I had a dead dash speaker after the mishap with the amp dumping a bunch of volts to that channel. New ones should be in tomorrow. What was in here wasn't special at all, basically cheap-ass Kenwood paper cones with whizzers. Replacing them with Kicker coax speakers.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          That radio cleaned up real nice. I can't see you putting the premium sound back in, once you go JBL you'll never go weaksauce again. Definitely a mod no one would wear a frownie face for. I have the premium vomit that came out of my '88, it's taking up valuable space...
          Lol!! You used ”weaksauce” in two separate threads minutes apart
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            No plans to re-install it, but mostly the goal was to not meddle with the wiring to any real degree. And yeah, by comparison the original stuff is pretty lame. I have the radio and the amp sitting around just because. I had a dead dash speaker after the mishap with the amp dumping a bunch of volts to that channel. New ones should be in tomorrow. What was in here wasn't special at all, basically cheap-ass Kenwood paper cones with whizzers. Replacing them with Kicker coax speakers.
            ..whizzers. LoL! You like Kicker eh? I thought the stuff I demoed some four years ago was too harsh & tinny for my liking. Even the JBL (Couldn't find the Power Series stuff I praise so much) dash speakers I found were so harsh I unplugged them. If I could find a set of factory JBL dash stuff in working order I'd try them out in place of the junk I paid money for..

But yeah, the JBL option is one that is certainly worth the money. World of difference in sound quality. Especially when you factory in the time period. Just a decade before that, stuff was pretty damn lame, even the "top" options.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
            Lol!! You used ”weaksauce” in two separate threads minutes apart
            I did? LoL, which thread was that? I can't even remember what I had for breakfast somedays by the time afternoon rolls around...

Comment

Dunno, I can't hear them through a website. If they're awful I'll send them back to Amazon and try something else. Worst case I'll wander by some local place and see what they suggest. Never owned anything from them before. I think I've got Boston Acoustics in the Towncar. I know I had them at some point, maybe thats what got ruined with weld slag and I replaced them with something else. Infinity maybe? At this point I can't remember and I'm not real motivated to pull the dash from that to figure it out.

Those Kenwoods actually didn't sound bad, so worst case I could get another set.

Comment

My go-to for inexpensive speakers is Rockford-Fostgate, usually from their Prime series depending on the size. Usually $40-$60 a pair and they sound better than a lot of more expensive speakers I've had over the years. Got them all around in the '98, had them in the rear of the Town Car (till I stole them for the '98) with the stock JBL front speaker pod things and that sounded great.
                -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

well, these sound fine. Basically they are doing tweeter duty. The 6" door speakers handle most of the mids up front. I do need to add caps to keep the bass out of them. It tries, but a 3.5" speaker in a dashboard is not capable of producing bass. It just makes things buzz a little bit. The Kenwoods did not go this high for sure.

Comment

The Pioneers I demoed with "basalt" woofer cones sounded pretty close to the JBL Power Series stuff which pleased my earholes.

Boston-Acoustics were very "true" speakers. I had a set of SL95's that ultimately went away with my Fury when I sold it. Those were some of the best sounding 6x9's I've ever heard, even to this day. However, moisture killed them and so away I let them go. BA doesn't make car speakers any more either, and despite being able to reproduce deep bass, they couldn't handle it. I think I had killed two sets before I learned how to set-up my high pass filter correctly. Which when tuned to "live" they produce less bass than the Ford-JBL 6x9's (IIRC, old moldy memory comparison, SL's were never actually installed in my TC). They were very expensive for the time, I think I paid nearly $300 for the set back when I had a part time job making $7.50/hr. I had my priorities eh? LoL...

Comment

me rambling about most of the stuff I've done to this over the last year

https://youtu.be/-NTnrcO52eg

forgot to mention the trunk lock, whatever.

Comment

You're a real easy guy to keep track of, "gadget73" across every platform I've seen you on. I'll be sure to subscribe to that channel tonight to check that vid out.

Comment

Replaced the headlight bezel. Much better.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1204181627.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1284917
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	1204181635.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1284918

Comment

I have done basically nothing to this in the last year besides drive it. I got the Marti report though, and I can now confirm that 1515 84 Continentals were made with a diesel engine. Seems internet rumor of "about 1500" was pretty on the money.
                            Attached Files

Comment

you Find anything particularly interesting aside from the quantity of diesel conti produced that year?
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

39 days late... I guess it’s been slow since day zero?
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X