No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could it be that late because it was not special ordered. No real incentive to get it done?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nothing too interesting, other than apparently the trim and paint combo is even less common than the engine. The info I had is that before it ended up in NY, it was in Texas. Apparently it started life in South Carolina. I'd really like to know the ownership history on this thing to see where it has been for it's whole life. The thing is amazingly rust free even though the paint isn't worth a damn.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

"Blue Flannel" paint code. Yessss. Maybe it was late because BMW was late supplying the engine??
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This is from the 1984 "buy our awesome stuff" catalog. You're quite probably right about BMW being the delay. It specifically says "later in the model year". Not sure when the first diesels actually started being made.
          Attached Files
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Water level warning light for the fuel. Way cool. Is it true though?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It has one, and it has a sensor for it, but I don't know if it works. The bulb prove-out lights it but thats it. I've never had water in the fuel. It does have a small drain button thing on the bottom of the filter, and I can just stick a catch can down there and push the button to drain out anything in the bottom of the filter if I need to. I've done it a couple times, never got anything but clean fuel out. Thats actually one of the assorted things on the maintenance list that gets done with the oil change.

GM didn't use one, and it was one of the assorted failings of their motors. Water in an injection pump is serious bad juju.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                This is from the 1984 "buy our awesome stuff" catalog. You're quite probably right about BMW being the delay. It specifically says "later in the model year". Not sure when the first diesels actually started being made.
                I love those propaganda catalogs. My favorite blurb from this one is, "Disc brakes recover quickly when drenched with water."

Comment

I've driven 4 wheel drums through standing water, I can definitely tell you that discs recover much quicker.

I should upload that whole thing sometime. I eventually got it cropped and trimmed so its one image per page. I couldn't scan the whole thing as a single multi-page pdf just because of how the scanner at work is. The old one would let me manually flip pages and add to the document, the new one you have to put 8x11 sheets in the automatic feeder to get a multi-page pdf.

Comment

My thought was hot rotors do not like water all too much.

Comment

true, but you'll stop better on wet rotors than wet drums. Drums aren't quite as likely to go out of round or crack though. Four wheel disc was pretty heady stuff in the mid 80s. The Versailles had it in the late 70s, and the 82 Continental had it. The 82 Conti suspension is what went under the SVO. In 84 they changed from coil springs to air springs, but its otherwise pretty much the same design.

Comment

60's and 70's too. C3 'Vettes had them along with Mark V's, IIRC.

My '69 Plymouth had a drum at each corner and was full manual. Drove that through two or three rainstorms. I noticed a difference but it wasn't scary. I don't miss that car though, but the drum brakes aren't really one of the reasons why. Just usually hurt me after driving it and had no options. You know I like optional equipment..

Comment

The Mark V did at least, I'll take your word on the Corvette. Still, its not like today where everything has 4 wheel disc. You got 4 wheel discs on exotics and high end luxury cars. I suppose that latter one is what Lincoln was aiming for since nobody is going to mistake a warmed-over Fairmont for an exotic.

The drums really take a dive if you drive through deep water. I used to have this spot I drove through daily that would be about a foot deep whenever it rained, and there was a stop immediately after it. The Beetle was 4 wheel manual drum and stopping that thing after soaking the drums was not fun. I had to ride the brakes through the stream otherwise it just wasn't happening. When I converted it to front disc it stopped being a problem.

Comment

Yah, those things even had IRS. About the only "advanced" tech they had going for them. Still handled like poo to those who owned them. I could never get behind those warmed over Fairmonts. I never liked the Seville either, they just looked like the cheap platform cars they were based off of despite the over inflated price tag. At least with Cadillac you got fuel infection and more cubes. Ford just gave you the same bullshit you got with the Fairmont. I suppose Cadillac later made up for it starting in '85 or '86 when they started putting that mushy carpitrated turd 307 in their Fleetwoods...

Surface area helps too I guess. At least with that early Chrysler stuff, they gave you HUGE drums at all four corners, wide too with lots of pad area. Although I never drove that through deep water, just a few heavy storms through Ohio and Western Michigan. I mean don't get me wrong. Of the few people that drove that Fury of mine, they all bitched about the brakes. Emergency/hard stops required two feet, no doubt about it. And stop and go traffic made your leg tired after awhile. When I drove it for a month straight daily, my leg muscles got better and I felt less like a wuss after long drives in it. However, the way my shoulders & back hurt after those drives never got better so I sold that unergonomic turd.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The old one would let me manually flip pages and add to the document, the new one you have to put 8x11 sheets in the automatic feeder to get a multi-page pdf.
                              Check to see if it has a "batch" mode, it is likely to have a setting you can adjust.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

not that I've found for manual flip stuff. It also won't let me pick custom sizes, it just has some common presets. The old one was a much better machine in terms of capabilities. It actually had a dedicated computer that went with it and you could do a whole bunch of custom things. It could even scan things into MS Word format and it did a pretty good job of it.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                I could never get behind those warmed over Fairmonts. I never liked the Seville either, they just looked like the cheap platform cars they were based off of despite the over inflated price tag.
                                yeah the slope back thing was a look for a while in the 80s. I'm not sure anyone understands why it was a thing, but it was. I won't pretend to be a huge fan of it either. The "economy luxury" cars of the period are strange. Fancy trim on fairly pedestrian cars, and they look it. This thing is only cool in how not cool it is. I never had any illusions that its anything but a strange car, but I will admit that I enjoy driving it despite how slow and goofy it is.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 08-23-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X