No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah its a bit out of place, but its just the project of the moment.

The busted crank position sensor plug, or more accurately the socket that I need to find a plug to mate with

Click image for larger version

Name:	1229172029.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1282838Click image for larger version

Name:	1229172028a.jpg
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1282839Click image for larger version

Name:	1229172028.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1282840

These are known as a Junior Timer connector. I can find the female end that is on the car's harness all over the place, the male end not so much.

it should look something like this

at some point I may go hunting through the foreign car section and just rob a suitable plug from something.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Found it... in Australia...
      https://www.efihardware.com/products...imer-Connector
      and the boot:
      https://www.efihardware.com/products...connector-boot

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

For small size (1/4") diesel hose I use the SAE 30R9 stuff, also known as fuel-injection hose. It's not its pressure rating I'm after, it's the material's resistance to diesel fuel which will in a few years harden the regular SAE 30R7 low-pressure fuel hose. For larger lines (3/8") I go with transmission oil cooler hose, since it's usually heavier built than the fiel-injection hose of the same size and has excellent resistance to home-brew fuels. The 5/16" size is an either-or type of deal, I prefer the TOC type hose still but it's not always readily available in that size, in which case the fuel-injection hose is what gets used.

The OEM-style braided hose would be cool to use, but I don't seen any benefit to it if the other stuff is readily available at any parts store. Well assuming it's available, that is, which is probably not the case for the 3/16 hose this Conti uses (I've never seen EFI that uses that size for anything).

Oh yeah, the chance that I have the Junior Timer connector is slim to none. If it's not common on a Ford vehicle it probably doesn't exist in my bins of salvaged wiring. Don't recall ever seeing one either...
        Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 12-30-2017, 02:34 AM.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yeah its the skinny factor that I wonder about. The end cap is made from what looks like windshield washer tubing and its gone gummy.

That connector style is mostly used with Bosch parts. Ford uses the 2 pin version for the fuel injectors just like everyone else did. Otherwise you'll only find that connector on Euro cars. Find any Saab or Volvo or whatever and it has them scattered around. I do actually like the original design with the push to release wire latch more than Ford's injector connector tho, no stupid plastic finger that is almost guaranteed to break when you pull on it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So this is computer controlled, and not all mechanical. Interesting, how complex is the system compared to SEFI?

how similar is the suspension is this compared to a box panther? would it be possible to do a big brake upgrade on it?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

The only thing "computer" controlled is the EGR valve itself. Its got a couple of inputs, crank sensor, a microswitch on the throttle that tells it when the throttle is closed, and I believe there is a temperature switch on the block too. I suspect the control isn't all that complex, EGR mostly runs at low engine speed, above idle, and when warm. Probably when those conditions are met the EGR controller opens the solenoid to send vacuum to the valve. The level of vacuum is controlled by a mechanical regulator that has a linkage off the throttle lever.

The actual fuel injection system is purely mechanical.

Its a Fox car. Suspension is very different from a Panther but there is a brake upgrade possible using later SN95 parts. I forget the particulars but basically you get whatever the correct spindles are, have the ball joint taper bored out to match up with the Fox ball joint and you bolt it up.

Dug into the AC compressor clutch noise. Unfortunately it was not just a bearing.

This is the front end of the compressor with the clutch plate removed. This is supposed to be a retaining ring groove, not a step.

Name:	1230171417.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1282849

The clutch, the hub at the top center is supposed to be attached to the thin plate on the right.

Name:	1230171418.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1282850

My guess is the rubber hub disintegrated and fetched up on the retaining ring. The ring spun until it chewed the retaining ring groove away completely.

The surface of the clutch disc and the hub. This is supposed to be flat. With no way to hold a gap between the hub and the plate, these parts are constantly dragging so it just ate away. Its supposed to use shim washers to set the gap, but that only works when the bearing doesn't just float to wherever it feels like.

Name:	1230171418b.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1282851

The lightly used clutch assembly from my Towncar alongside the trashed ones from the Continental. The bearing is actually OK in the Continental clutch, but it drags and makes noise. Its quiet now but since there is no retaining ring the bearing slides out and makes for no gap between the parts. I halfass considered taking the punch and raising some spots on the snout of the compressor and then buttering it up with loctite to hopefully hold the gap but I don't know that it would really work. I'll replace the compressor at some point, at least its a standard Ford FS-6 that is easy to get.

Name:	1230171425a.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1282852
              Last edited by gadget73; 12-30-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

a not so quick video update

Comment

Going to do Mark VII wheels on this one too?
                  Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 01-15-2018, 01:55 AM.
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

nah, keeping the stock wires. 15" tires are also cheaper, and I don't have to buy another set of wheels.

Comment

I rebuilt the electric fan yesterday. No pics because of greasy hands, but its basically just a fan and I lubed the motor up. Not that big of a deal. I finally found the fan relay too. Here it is:Click image for larger version

Name:	0212181712a.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1283018

How about a little closer?

Name:	0212181712.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1283019

Can't see it yet? Lets try it again with the panel out of the way

Name:	0212181708.jpg
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1283020

Designed in 1980. Someone was really planning ahead. Applications for this part seem to be 84 Lincoln diesel, and 90 Towncar with trailer tow package. WTF?

Name:	0212181705a.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1283021

Since I needed to sweep the floor, I moved the car out and took a pic. Apparently my phone has a fingerprint on the lens though, everything on the left side of each pic came out funky. Visible in the background is the S10, the Mark VII, and the Towncar.

Name:	0212181731a.jpg
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	1283022
                      Last edited by gadget73; 02-12-2018, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Town Car appears to be hiding. What, no pics of this Continental rolling coal yet?
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                          Town Car appears to be hiding. What, no pics of this Continental rolling coal yet?
                          Currently accepting donations of four p215/70/15 tires.

Comment

I did actually insure it tonight. I may tag it this week, but with the tires as sketchy as they are the next step is taking it to the nearest place that does tires and having them replaced. I'd prefer to do it when its warm-ish because its a miserable cunt to start when cold. Kicks off fine when plugged in though.

Comment

Tim's been getting that size of tires wicked cheap online somewhere, even shipped and with local installation he claims he's still money ahead. Last pair I tossed on his car were Goodyears actually, so it's not just off-brand stuff that he can get his hands on.

BTW that car needs an exhaust brake. Behind the muffler of course, so the "jakes" sound confuses the fuck out of people. I'd actually love to do that to my own vehicle cause I really want to quiet the exhaust down under throttle but at the same rate I simply love the roar of the Pacbrake. Unfortunately with the size of muffler and piping I got installing the brake behind the muffler will make it effective only on very long decel applications since due to the huge internal volume it will take about forever to build up enough backpressure to actually start slowing the beast down, which won't do for the way I use this thing (more than the wheel brakes actually). Should work fine for you tho, just need a small air tank and a baby e-compressor.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

"dual" exhaust on this one. Y pipe into two mufflers. I suspect that would make it rather more difficult to do.

Assorted places can get me tires for about 60 bucks each, some are not even unknown brands. Badyear Integrity or Hankook Optimo for the same prices as Westlake and Nokian. I'll take ride over to the local place tomorrow and see what he can get me tires for. Its often been comparable to online pricing. If it ends up close to the same I'll just do that. If I can get out of this with 4 tires on the car for under 300 I'll be satisfied.
                                Last edited by gadget73; 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X