No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My boss has an 89 Chevy wagon with the Olds 307. It blew up when the chain jumped and he bought a 1977 Olds 350 to replace it with. I'm sure its not going to be a fireball but the 307 is such a gutless turd that it can't possibly be worse.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Helloooo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HsjEZ42Dycs
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

"If your vibe is a precisely arranged diorama of not giving a fuck, then a turbodiesel Conti will complete your look."

I've been a subscriber for RCR for a long time. When I saw the thumbnail I could only think this car, since it's the only one of these I've ever even heard about it. And sure enough, it's the same car.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Wow that was brutal... I guess that's what he does though. How did the filming go Thain?
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Everything sounded on point to me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

he's not lying, its slow as hell. I have since tinkered with the injection pump. 0-60 times went from 19.3 to 17.2 seconds, so its practically a race car now. I bet none of you guys can turn 2 screws and drop 2 seconds off you 0-60
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  he's not lying, its slow as hell. I have since tinkered with the injection pump. 0-60 times went from 19.3 to 17.2 seconds, so its practically a race car now. I bet none of you guys can turn 2 screws and drop 2 seconds off you 0-60
                  That is a huge leap in acceleration, but...still insanely slow . I still think it's cool due to its rarity, your engine bay is extremely clean
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Gee maybe I want that guy to review my car.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If you watch some of his videos, you kind of know what to expect. He's brutally honest in a funny but not intentionally mean way. Not to say anything specifically bad about the guy but I don't know I'd want to hang out with him a ton, mostly because it would be like hanging out with myself. Its probably why I like his content but can't binge watch it either.

I'm not unrealistic about this thing. its weird, its not exactly desirable, its slow, and its got the mushy handling you'd expect out of a luxury car. I have halfass considered putting the more sporty stuff off the wrecked Mark VII on it, but I can't justify the effort. I already have a Mark VII, and this doesn't move well enough to need better handling. The seats are more of a limiter than the suspension is anyway despite how mushy it is. I honestly enjoy it how it is. I'd like to get the paint and interior sorted out but paint is expensive and I have no idea where to even get seats done.

You would not believe how much degreaser was involved in getting that engine bay to not be completely gross. When I got it it had years of leaks, and it had this funky fuel stink to it that I could smell just walking by it. It was also just awful to work on. Touching anything got black slime everywhere. Valve cover and power steering leaks were most of it, but it also had some minor fuel leaks from the injector weep lines. Had to get the goo off to find where the leaks were and then to make sure it was actually fixed. Its actually dry underneath now, or as dry as it gets for a 35 year old car with a lot of miles.

Comment

I can only watch a few minutes of RCR at a time, but it's super cool you got to be on his channel!

I wish I still had some engine pics from when I bought it. Everything had a layer of black slime on it. A few cans of degreaser and a power wash got it better, but you have it looking fantastic now.

Are you bringing that up to Carlisle this year?
                        Ryan will bring you all those spare transmission parts for free if you want them.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Right, he seems like an arrogant, dismissive D-bag who tries too hard. Like you're talking to him but he's only hearing what he wants to and then it's all lost in translation by the time he sets his video up. I haven't watched the video yet but I cringe to think of what awaits me when I do, based on the others I watched. He wasn't "there" yet tries to act like an authority on whatever manner he feels he's "educating" you about. He's amidst the scum who can't appreciate something for what it is, part of the problem. Cars that ate up bad roads and isolated you from the outside were worth the premium price. That's what Lincoln was about, "what a luxury car should be." It's amazing how the U.S. began to turn on and cannibalize their own product based off opinions like his.. Pretty much started in the 80's and the Mark VII is a great example of it. I believe it was designed to compete with BMW and Mercedes- but not the model you have, that's the LSC.. Fell short probably due to the automatic but the addition of the HO made it great to me. I still feel those are built really well, especially for a mass produced vehicle. But therein lies the stigma- it's mass produced and built by overpaid, lazy factory workers so it must not be as good.. Sad that Ford sourced engines from BMW but that's a result of automotive climate change. We made a different product back then, it was unique. Each brand pretty much had their own identity up until the early to mid 90's. The truth/reality is out there if you dig hard enough= People everywhere outside the US pay premium prices to get a slice of what we once made for those reasons.. "They don't make 'em like they used to." Yeah, if they did, you wouldn't buy them- that's the message you sent the OEM's some 40 years ago.. Nowadays it's all the same, four door sedan or truck or SUV hatch back thing. Only difference is the badging.

Whatever that tool says about your car, it is kind of cool it's on there. Does he pay you to tear on your vehicle? What was he like while the cameras weren't rolling? I've thought about submitting my Townie on to him, as I haven't noticed a box Town Car on his channel, but the thought of him beating the shit out of it or ripping on an era while talking politics and socioeconomics keeps me from pulling the trigger.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

If you don't get RCR, he just seems like a total douche. He isn't there to insult you. He takes the car, compares to what it used to mean, and what it means now.
                            On this Conti vid he wasn't even ripping much on the car, you should watch the Olds Bravada video. Or maybe don't...
                            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
                            1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Actually I thought it was maybe a bit harsh for the first 3/4 but then it was like the Acid kicked in at the end. After he liked the pretty lights.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I figured it was just his style. Didn't care to watch any more than this one video. I think Lincoln deserves a little credit for trying, and also Thain for doing what it takes to make it a good as it once was. I like that. Get in and pretend it's 1984 again.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X