PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Overhauled the antenna. Its snowing, I have a belt off the car so it can't be moved, time to do things in the heat. Basically its just your common "old crusty shit" story but in case anyone ever wondered what is inside the early style power antennas, here you go.

The dual wound motor. You can see the two different color windings. One is forward, the other is reverse. The case of the antenna is ground.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	48908

This is the gear reducer mechanism. The motor comes through the very center of it, and it runs through an 8 part gear reduction before it gets to the drum that moves the antenna. The outer ring looking piece is the antenna cable storage drum.

Name:	gearbox.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	48909

The limit switch assembly is actuated by the finger on the white piece in the next pic. It stops the motor from running after the antenna winds up completely. The wheel is offset from the actuator, so basically it indexes over one click per revolution of the cable drive.

Name:	limit switch.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	107.2 KB 
ID:	48910

This is the drive mechanism for the cable drum. The shaft through the center is driven from the gear reducer. The round plate is the cable drive plate, the series of parts on top of it are the clutch assembly. The bottom-most piece is a guide for a couple of ball bearings. Above it is a plate that pushes on the bearings, a spring that pushes on that for pressure, and all the way up top is the plastic nut / limit switch actuator piece. The square metal piece is just a pin retaining plate. If something jams, the ball bearings will ride up and over the ramps built into the cable drum, exactly like how a cordless drill works.

Name:	assembled.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	104.6 KB 
ID:	48911

Bottom side of the cable drive plate. The antenna has a round plastic cable attached to it. It comes down through the mast and into the drum area where it is sandwiched between the body of the antenna and this plate. The cable rides in the groove. It goes basically a full turn around the body, then through a hole in the housing to the storage drum that sits around the gear reducer mechanism.

Name:	drive plate.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	48912

To take this apart, pull the pin out of the middle of the white plastic limit switch actuator and unscrew the white part. Remove the two washers, spring, and two metal plates under it. Remove the pin and the bearing retainer plate. Lift out the cable drive plate. Remove the two screws and seperate the halves of the antenna mechanism to expose the gearbox and cable drum. About all you need to do in here is clean out the rust and add some fresh lube where the old got sticky. For the motor itself, pop the cap off and dribble some light oil into the felt at the back end of the motor.
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-09-2017 at 06:14 PM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    ...Still... being able to tell some uptight, self righteous, wind bag that my "gas guzzling land yacht" gets better mileage than their econobox would be epic.
    The best bit of advice for peace of mind and low blood pressure I can give anyone is to put down the sword when it comes to stuff like this. Its a great feeling when you no longer feel the need to have to deliver a clever punch line or last word, whether it be in defense or just to be that smarmy guy who does stuff like that. Bottom line is, you wouldn't do x, y or z if you didn't like it or approve so unless they're dear to you, what does their opinion matter? Why argue or debate with people you'll never see again or can't stand? Let it goooo-ooooo LoL.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Oh, I've got tons of premium speakers with the old style connectors if you want 'em. I might have enough JBL stuff to part with them if you'd like. Pretty sure I've got spare dash speakers if they're the same size as what boxes use.

Some quick research last night indicates door and dash speakers may actually be the same as Panther stuff. Not 100% on what connectors it uses but probably the same old premium sound plugs that everything else ran, that rectangle 2 pin thing. If you'd be inclined to part with a pair of door and a pair of dash speakers I wouldn't say no. Not gonna worry about the JBL stuff though, its got the wrong amp and totally the wrong wiring arrangement and honestly I don't feel like messing with it. It did cross my mind though, I've got a spare amp here but I don't feel like harvesting all of the wiring harness to make it work.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Purty sure I've got spare rectangular harness door speakers but not sure about the dash ones. I think the rectangular dash ones I've got were from my Townie and well, I can't part with those for obvious reasons

The dash ones are usually toast anyway so if I have to buy new its not exactly a big deal. I don't know if the dash uses the same odd mounting arrangement boxes do. If it does I'll have to find or make the adapters.

It's helping me anyway, I've got too much of this shit for one person. Just give my lazy ass time to locate & package stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    The best bit of advice for peace of mind and low blood pressure I can give anyone is to put down the sword when it comes to stuff like this. Its a great feeling when you no longer feel the need to have to deliver a clever punch line or last word, whether it be in defense or just to be that smarmy guy who does stuff like that. Bottom line is, you wouldn't do x, y or z if you didn't like it or approve so unless they're dear to you, what does their opinion matter? Why argue or debate with people you'll never see again or can't stand? Let it goooo-ooooo LoL.
    I agree. But, I do have an ace up my sleeve. My Town Car has legitimately gotten 31mpg on more than 1 occasion. That usually shuts those people up because they all assume its some gas guzzler that gets 5mpg. More times than not, people ask me about the cars in a positive way if they say anything at all. I've had a lot of older guys driving newer Lincolns or Mercurys start reminiscing about their old Town Car or Grand Marquis and then ask me about mine at the gas station.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

No no, don't even engage! Resist that urge, even if you've got an ace up your sleeve. It's not like these people spread the word or anything so you'll always be defending yourself..
    I've heard the same lines.. My responses, if I respond to them at all when it goes there, are "Oh, I dunno." or "I just put gas in it." Even though my "ace" if you will could be something along the lines of "Doesn't matter, I still pay less for gas a month than you do on your car payment," or the honest actual figure of the MPG. It just amazes me how all these people are essentially the same, they really are lemmings... You could stop in Cleveland, here something and then stop in Sacramento and hear the same thing...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123