No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its definitely got some diesel clatter, but inside the car you really don't notice it. The slight vibration at idle is about the only clue, and some of that might be the fairly dead motor mounts. Driving down the road its not anything you'd notice. I talked to a guy who test drove one when new but he said the turbo whine was so loud it put him off buying the car. I have no idea what was going on with that because I really don't hear mine.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Put the bumper on. Forgot to take pics of the treatment process but on the inside I used the Eastwood rust converter, followed by their rust encapsulator, finally topcoated with two coats of XO-Rust (True Value's oil paint, basically Rustoleum) in gloss black. Gloss because I had it, not for any better reason. My hope is that they shall refrain from further deterioration.

On the car is the replacement, on the ground is what I removed. Also pics of the lights in the bumper before and after polishing with the PlastX stuff. Not perfect, but considerably better.
      Attached Files
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A week before Scottfest, the injection pump decided it was going to leak. Didn't get pics of it doing so, but this is what the engine bay looks like with the pump removed. Intake manifold and the fuel lines come off for this, as does the fan and timing cover. Pump is out to the diesel shop, while its out I plan to paint the valve cover, timing cover, and intake. Since its apart, it was also a good time to deal with the slight radiator leak that had developed. I took it in for a checkout, and the guy at the radiator shop told me that most likely the tanks were going to crumble if he tried to un-crimp them. He found me a workable sub though. It will need the radiator cap modified a little and the expansion tank line extended but thats not a big issue. The stock rad had no cap, the replacement one does. It will need the lower seal removed so the cap holds no pressure, and instead dumps it through the "overflow" tube into the expansion tank.
        Attached Files

Comment

That is surprisingly clean under the valve cover.

Comment

yeah its not sludgey at all. The cam is also in great shape, and those are apparently prone to wear. It sat a good while but it seems like it was reasonably well maintained. No serious hackery or neglect that i have found anywhere. The radio wiring was the worst of it, and that wasn't really all that difficult to sort out.

Comment

Was there a bumper sticker on the bumper?

I like the plastx stuff. Works pretty good. You did it by hand?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

There wasn't a sticker when I got it, but the ghost of one is definitely there.

yeah, buffed them by hand. Probably could have gotten a little more with power but its only a reverse light.

Comment

Glad to hear you found a replacement radiator. is that a 2 core aluminum? It's the exact same brand I got for the LTD that cools so well.
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I think its 2 core, honestly didn't look down inside it. Its all welded aluminum though.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I think its 2 core, honestly didn't look down inside it. Its all welded aluminum though.
                      Oh you got it already? I thought you wanted me to pick it up for you?

Comment

He called me Friday while I was out and about and since I was off I went for it. Forgot to message you, sorry. He was right though, if I'd been in a hurry it would not have shown up until this week. Since I don't need it anytime soon, next day delivery.

Comment

Valve cover looks much better. Too humid to paint right now, otherwise I'd do the intake since its clean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0821181610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1284525

Name:	0821181609a.jpg
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1284526

Name:	0821181609.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1284527

Comment

That is a very nice finish. I like that you saved the sticker.
                            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ford my ass.. LoL I like how they went through the trouble to have their own cover stamped and such. I'd let it say BMW. That actually fools a lot of people though. How did you save that sticker? One of my concerns with repainting anything that has OEM stickers like that, especially the ones of the door jamb & emissions variety..
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Pretty sure he just taped over it.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X