No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, masking tape and a razor to trim. I actually thought about getting fancy with this and laying black paint in the recesses but then I remembered how much of a pain in the ass that was when I did the Towncar valve covers and bailed on it. It involves loads of masking and trimming since each raised fin needs to be taped off, plus the entire smooth area. The original sales stuff i have from 84 has the engine all silver, so thats what its getting.

Intake is painted. Not entirely satisfied with how this came out. I decided to go for it last night because the humidity dropped. As I was in the process of painting it began to rain so the humidity went through the roof. Don't know if thats why, or if its just a rougher casting that soaks up paint. Might let this cure a while and give it another coat or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0822181610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1284537

In the meantime, the paint is drying on the timing cover.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What paint is that? Flat aluminum?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Duplicolor cast coat aluminum.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

from the pics you could have said they were NOS.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah it comes out looking surprisingly like fresh raw aluminum, which I suppose is the point. I think the intake needs one more coat though.

Comment

Looks great to me as well More than just a novelty car. Ever consider painting the script black? Or that wouldn't be OEM looking.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                yeah, masking tape and a razor to trim. I actually thought about getting fancy with this and laying black paint in the recesses but then I remembered how much of a pain in the ass that was when I did the Towncar valve covers and bailed on it. It involves loads of masking and trimming since each raised fin needs to be taped off, plus the entire smooth area. The original sales stuff i have from 84 has the engine all silver, so thats what its getting.

Intake is painted. Not entirely satisfied with how this came out. I decided to go for it last night because the humidity dropped. As I was in the process of painting it began to rain so the humidity went through the roof. Don't know if thats why, or if its just a rougher casting that soaks up paint. Might let this cure a while and give it another coat or two.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50776[/ATTACH]

In the meantime, the paint is drying on the timing cover.
                Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                Looks great to me as well More than just a novelty car. Ever consider painting the script black? Or that wouldn't be OEM looking.
                He said bah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I’m surprised on the Furd too. If your gonna cast your own, at least put Lincoln on it?!?!? Bad badge engineering.

Random question: Does the exhaust smell like the IDI trucks?
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Lol, got it.... I stand corrected

Comment

It stinks like a diesel. Dunno if IDI motors smell different than other types, but its not something you want to fire up in a closed garage.

Not having a Lincoln emblem on the valve cover actually sort of makes sense. Technically speaking, its not a Lincoln. Its a Continental. There are no Lincoln badges anywhere on the car, but its got stars in 4 places and Continental scripts in at least 5. It wasn't a Lincoln Continental until 86 I believe. The Mark VII similarly was a Continental Mark VII until 1986. The only actual Lincoln model in 84-85 was the Town Car. Ford was trying to get fancy and re-boot the Continental Motor Company, which was their premiere luxury division in the 50s. Nobody understood wtf they were talking about so they put Lincoln badges on it and quit pretending like it was not just a really gussied-up Fairmont.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        yeah it comes out looking surprisingly like fresh raw aluminum, which I suppose is the point. I think the intake needs one more coat though.
                        I love that stuff. I've used it quite a bit, and usually not on automotive things. It seems to stick to any reasonably clean surface and it holds up well. I recently did the "hub" of my rotors and the one new caliper I just put on, gonna do the other calipers next time I have them apart, hoping it holds up there as well. If not, they make caliper paint in the same color.
                        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Yeah, everything turned out really nice. I thought you masked the sticker, wasn't sure. That would require a lot of cutting and stuff to get in between the tears and such, F that. I was just wondering if there was a way to get stickers off nicely and put them back on. I suppose a heat gun with a razor blade but that isn't always error free...
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I've not had great success in removing stickers and keeping them in a reusable state. Usually the layers come apart and you end up with nothing useful.

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                            I love that stuff. I've used it quite a bit, and usually not on automotive things. It seems to stick to any reasonably clean surface and it holds up well. I recently did the "hub" of my rotors and the one new caliper I just put on, gonna do the other calipers next time I have them apart, hoping it holds up there as well. If not, they make caliper paint in the same color.
                            A bunch of parts on the Towncar are done with the cast coat iron paint. Its similarly tough. I did most of the paint on that thing a number of years ago and its holding up fine. I'm hoping for similar durability out of the aluminum version. Cleaning really is the key though. On these parts, I started in the solvent tank at work. its nearly useless but works good for loose chunky crap. After that it got a good soak and scrub with Spray Nine. Just before painting it got a final wipe-down with acetone. I can usually get decent paint results with that method. On oddly shaped parts, I usually use Brakleen as the final wash solvent since the non-chlorinated crap I get in this state is basically just acetone in a spray can anyway.
                            Last edited by gadget73; 08-23-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

And the timing cover

Name:	0823181956a.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1284553

Name:	0823181956.jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1284554

For whatever reason this is officially known as the upper timing cover. There is no lower timing cover. No clue.

Comment

Looks great Gadget. ...like you stated, proper prep work gets AAA results.
                                Last edited by Grand1; 08-23-2018, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X