No announcement yet.

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the mast was busted. My guess is it jammed and the trace acted as a fuse. If thats not it, I have no clue. The relay contacts look fine so I don't think it was a chronic overload condition, and honestly it wasn't burned looking either. Maybe it was just shite construction and it corroded away. The other joints in there don't exactly look mint.

I actually also realized the owner's manual in the glovebox is for an 84 Towncar, not the 84 Continental.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Fun history pictures,

The barn it sat next to for a decade and the MB that replaced it.

And the night I brought it home, 7/27/17
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Relay theory... the slobber on the traces got warm, flowed to the gravity down end and left the trace too thin to hold the current. The solder was there to increase the current handling, but when it thinned under the constant load, the trace said "phucket, I'm done" and let the magic smoke out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

OOHHHhhh nice!
          Definitly kudos for buying such a 'unique' new toy I don't think I'd have been as brave, unless it was free and came with all the parts it needed... lol...
          I may have something to donate to the stereo system... being premium sound can one assume it's a 2ohm /6 speaker setup? I have 2 6" 2ohm factory Bose speakers from some random 2000 + model car... they were too deep for my red Subaru and I didn't want to be obligated to run them with crossovers & tweeters anyway... They're yours if you want them!
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

So does it only work with the radio turned on? Or only ignition input?

Comment

radio on only, as it should be. I'm guessing it runs off the amp trigger.

Pete, not totally sure what speakers it takes. I think these ran 3.2 ohm but I can't swear to that. Possibly its 6 ohm up front since the door and dash are in parallel. No clue what size either is. The door speakers are probably original, I know the dash and trunk are not. I haven't gotten into the doors, and probably won't for a while.

Today's project, the belt tensioner assembly. This is not a user-serviceable part in it's stock form. It seems obvious that the intent is you replace the whole thing when the idler wheel wears out. Of course they haven't made any of the blasted things in more than 30 years and it doesn't seem that the aftermarket ever picked it up. Time to modify it.

This is what the stock piece looks like. Thats not just a hat in the middle like I expected, you're looking at the front of the pulley.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	84 conti tensioner top.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1282747

Name:	84 conti tensoner back.jpg
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1282746

Name:	84 conto pulley cut open.jpg
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	1282745

The rivet itself

Name:	84 conti idler rivet 2.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1282744

The repair. This is actually a spare idler from the S10. Its too big, but you get the idea. I have one that should be the right size on order. Once it comes in, it will take the same idler the 86 Towncar takes and it will be held together with a simple bolt and self-locking nut arrangement like a sane person would use. I couldn't drill and tap the rivet, not enough material and no way to hold it.

Name:	84 conti idler rivet drilled.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1282743

Name:	84 conti tensoner repaired.jpg
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1282742
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

wow. seriously one time use.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Surprised this one went away, Zach!
                  '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                  formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    wow. seriously one time use.
                    Most box Panthers are the same way dude, once the belt tensioner wears the bearings you replace the whole thing. Aftermarket got smart and made the pulley bolt-on affair, once you buy the entire thing that's it, from there on out you just buy a new pulley as needed.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

at least its easy enough to modify so it works like that going forward.

Comment

Overhauled the antenna. Its snowing, I have a belt off the car so it can't be moved, time to do things in the heat. Basically its just your common "old crusty shit" story but in case anyone ever wondered what is inside the early style power antennas, here you go.

The dual wound motor. You can see the two different color windings. One is forward, the other is reverse. The case of the antenna is ground.

Name:	motor.jpg
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	1282752

This is the gear reducer mechanism. The motor comes through the very center of it, and it runs through an 8 part gear reduction before it gets to the drum that moves the antenna. The outer ring looking piece is the antenna cable storage drum.

Name:	gearbox.jpg
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1282753

The limit switch assembly is actuated by the finger on the white piece in the next pic. It stops the motor from running after the antenna winds up completely. The wheel is offset from the actuator, so basically it indexes over one click per revolution of the cable drive.

Name:	limit switch.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1282754

This is the drive mechanism for the cable drum. The shaft through the center is driven from the gear reducer. The round plate is the cable drive plate, the series of parts on top of it are the clutch assembly. The bottom-most piece is a guide for a couple of ball bearings. Above it is a plate that pushes on the bearings, a spring that pushes on that for pressure, and all the way up top is the plastic nut / limit switch actuator piece. The square metal piece is just a pin retaining plate. If something jams, the ball bearings will ride up and over the ramps built into the cable drum, exactly like how a cordless drill works.

Name:	assembled.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1282755

Bottom side of the cable drive plate. The antenna has a round plastic cable attached to it. It comes down through the mast and into the drum area where it is sandwiched between the body of the antenna and this plate. The cable rides in the groove. It goes basically a full turn around the body, then through a hole in the housing to the storage drum that sits around the gear reducer mechanism.

Name:	drive plate.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1282756

To take this apart, pull the pin out of the middle of the white plastic limit switch actuator and unscrew the white part. Remove the two washers, spring, and two metal plates under it. Remove the pin and the bearing retainer plate. Lift out the cable drive plate. Remove the two screws and seperate the halves of the antenna mechanism to expose the gearbox and cable drum. About all you need to do in here is clean out the rust and add some fresh lube where the old got sticky. For the motor itself, pop the cap off and dribble some light oil into the felt at the back end of the motor.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 12-09-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          ...Still... being able to tell some uptight, self righteous, wind bag that my "gas guzzling land yacht" gets better mileage than their econobox would be epic.
                          The best bit of advice for peace of mind and low blood pressure I can give anyone is to put down the sword when it comes to stuff like this. Its a great feeling when you no longer feel the need to have to deliver a clever punch line or last word, whether it be in defense or just to be that smarmy guy who does stuff like that. Bottom line is, you wouldn't do x, y or z if you didn't like it or approve so unless they're dear to you, what does their opinion matter? Why argue or debate with people you'll never see again or can't stand? Let it goooo-ooooo LoL.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Oh, I've got tons of premium speakers with the old style connectors if you want 'em. I might have enough JBL stuff to part with them if you'd like. Pretty sure I've got spare dash speakers if they're the same size as what boxes use.

Comment

Some quick research last night indicates door and dash speakers may actually be the same as Panther stuff. Not 100% on what connectors it uses but probably the same old premium sound plugs that everything else ran, that rectangle 2 pin thing. If you'd be inclined to part with a pair of door and a pair of dash speakers I wouldn't say no. Not gonna worry about the JBL stuff though, its got the wrong amp and totally the wrong wiring arrangement and honestly I don't feel like messing with it. It did cross my mind though, I've got a spare amp here but I don't feel like harvesting all of the wiring harness to make it work.

Comment

Purty sure I've got spare rectangular harness door speakers but not sure about the dash ones. I think the rectangular dash ones I've got were from my Townie and well, I can't part with those for obvious reasons

Comment

Working...
                                X