PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

not totally awful since the turbo is teeny and spins up pretty quick.

114 hp @ 4800, 150 ft-lb @ 2400.

it doesn't seem to be as horribly slow as the numbers would make you think though. Its also only a 149 CID / 2.4L engine. Not sure what your 300D has but its probably bigger. Physically this thing is pretty much the size of a 4 banger Mustang engine from the 80s.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Wow that's a tiny 6. Yeah the 300D is a 3.0L 5 cylinder, with a decent size turbo, it makes 123HP @4350 and 181 ft/lb torque @2400, so similar power band but a bit more power, but like i said it has a massive amount of turbo lag, but once it gets going it's pretty peppy.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, 2bbl 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. 86 Valve Body Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

I don't even know what mine makes, it's like 180hp from the factory but that's without a hair dryer. With the noise maker it if we average you guys' numbers and scale up for displacement I ought to be a bit over 300hp and a bit under 450 lbs-ft... Yeah, like hell, I've driven diesels like that and I know what those numbers feel like, I got nothing even close to that Out of curiosity, what does a Conti and a Benzo like yours weigh?

Gadget, that's interesting with how they have the vacuum pump set up, so it basically slightly pressurizes the crankcase. That would explain the huge size of the vent they gave you, since that's about the size of what mine runs and I got literally 3 times your displacement (so roughly 3 times more blowby volume to evac). Also, if the pump is essentially on one end of the "circuit", and the CDR valve is way on the other, it would kinda make sense to have it that way - like how on a 302 the fresh air inlet is in the front of one valve cover and the PCV is kinda ways across from it in the rear of the engine. Oddly enough my engine does not have a fresh air inlet for the crankcase, just the tuna can to suck the vapors out into the intake for the heads. Wonder what that 300D runs for that purpose?

Ain't old devil-fuel engines fun and joy to tinker with? lol
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

NY title called mine about 3350 lbs. Probably reasonably accurate. I'd expect a little more weight on the Mercedes. I don't know what the BMW models weighed but possibly a little less, and many of those came with a manual. The ZF auto probably doesn't help any with the perk factor, but the 3.73 rear does. Luckily they gave it that much or this engine would never get out of it's own way.

The vac pump and crank vent are basically at 1/3s of the valve cover so I don't know it would do a great job of circulating through the crankcase. It has an oil drain line down to the crank from the vent though. Its actually an oil seperator with internal baffles to drain oil back to the crankcase and let the vapors go out to the turbo inlet. Seems it worked, the crossover pipe was good and slimy inside, even upstream of the EGR. I washed all that out as best I could. I also plan to cap off the vacuum to the EGR because fuck that shit.

Dumb question for you, but the injector weep lines. Mine daisy chain together and there is a line from #1 back down to the pump. Off #6 is a piece of vacuum hose with a nail in it. I presume that should just be capped off and not going somewhere else? Thinking I may upgrade from the nail to something a bit less BS looking. May have to float a vacuum cap in some diesel to see if it turns to mush on me.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

You have EGR??? Yeah, fuck this shit! Soot must never find its way back into the cylinders - I'd much rather spend money on regen-style DPF than fix damage to engine caused by sort of EGR system.

The "weep" lines, yeah they typically do chain together with at least one end leg going somewhere - in my case it's the fuel tanks, in yours it's apparently the IP? To decide what to do with them I usually look at cross-section are the fuel travels thru - for example I have 5/16" return line from engine to tanks and 1/4" daisy-chaining the injectors, so it made perfect sense to me to split the 5/16" main line into two 1/4" branches at the rear of the engine, and have a cross-over line at the front with the IP T-eed in the middle of it (so return fuel from the pump can flow thru both branches). In your case if the return port on the pump is large enough I would be tempted to try to bring the extra line off #6 into it as well, just for more flow and thus lower pressure in the loop and thus lower chance of leaks. Or maybe T-ee the #6 end leg into the main line headed back to the tanks? In any case the weep lines also serve injector cooling purposes so the more flow you can get thru them the better, generally speaking.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

That timing belt is interesting... toothed and ribbed. First time seeing one like that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

yeah, it has EGR. And my sentiments exactly about it, F that shit. I plan to "leave" it, but make it not work. If you look at the crossover pipe between the turbo and the intake, that smaller line heading off is from the EGR valve. I'm figuring if I just cap off the vacuum feed to the valve somewhere that its not obvious it will continue to look stock, but not have that soot munch BS going on. It may not operate anyway, the crank sensor plug is shot and apparently the EGR control module wants engine speed input to know when to turn the thing on. There are wires from the CPS jammed into the connector for it, but I don't know if they are in the right order. I really don't want to replace that sensor because it doesn't do anything useful but i can't find the stupid connector shells anywhere. 2 pin sure, not 3 pin male, only 3 pin female. Its sexist I tell you.

The weep lines are pretty small, maybe 3/16, looks like windshield washer tubing. I could tee the lines from #1 and #6 together and send it back to the pump. I think it returns to the tank through the connection on the side of the injection pump. There is a return line connected to the injector pump at any rate.

Belt is certainly odd. Ribbed side drives the oil pump and runs on the tension pulley. I guess it works. I'm kind of glad it doesn't run the water pump off the timing belt too, though that would have allowed for a slightly less wimpy alternator belt.

Post picture of the connector you have and/or need? I may very well have such a thing in my stashes...

Return lines sound like they use the IP as a junction point for everything before sending it back to the tank. 3/16" is what the 6.9 IHCs use too btw. In any case I'd T-ee the #1 and #6 together and send a 1/4" common line back to the IP, especially if the IP fitting is 1/4" already.

not sure what size it is at the IP, I'd have to look. The hoses vanish down there in the mess. This uses a fairly common Bosch injector, wouldn't surprise me if the same basic hardware exists on a ton of things. I'll need to pick up some suitable hose. I suspect vacuum line isn't the stuff to use but the original type braided stuff is available.

Brake job stuff. Nothing really remarkable, and I forgot to take pics of the front brakes back together but just imagine the crusty pics without so much crust. I'm sure the pics of the rubber hose explains why I wanted them gone. Basically these are stock box brakes. Other than the rotor offset, all this crap is identical to a Crown Vic.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229171701b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	49018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1228171609.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	49019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1228171556.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	49020

The outer bearing. Not sure how well it shows, but these have a distinct yellow tint to them, which tells me they got plenty hot. Also pics of the races, one with odd high polish spots and the other that just looked slightly dark from wear

Name:	1229171703a.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	49021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229171703.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	49022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229171702.jpg 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	49023
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-29-2017 at 08:16 PM.

I never thought I’d read so much about diesels on GMN. Good stuff.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

yeah its a bit out of place, but its just the project of the moment.

The busted crank position sensor plug, or more accurately the socket that I need to find a plug to mate with

Name:	1229172029.jpg 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	49024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229172028a.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	49025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1229172028.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	49026

These are known as a Junior Timer connector. I can find the female end that is on the car's harness all over the place, the male end not so much.

it should look something like this

at some point I may go hunting through the foreign car section and just rob a suitable plug from something.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

For small size (1/4") diesel hose I use the SAE 30R9 stuff, also known as fuel-injection hose. It's not its pressure rating I'm after, it's the material's resistance to diesel fuel which will in a few years harden the regular SAE 30R7 low-pressure fuel hose. For larger lines (3/8") I go with transmission oil cooler hose, since it's usually heavier built than the fiel-injection hose of the same size and has excellent resistance to home-brew fuels. The 5/16" size is an either-or type of deal, I prefer the TOC type hose still but it's not always readily available in that size, in which case the fuel-injection hose is what gets used.

The OEM-style braided hose would be cool to use, but I don't seen any benefit to it if the other stuff is readily available at any parts store. Well assuming it's available, that is, which is probably not the case for the 3/16 hose this Conti uses (I've never seen EFI that uses that size for anything).

Oh yeah, the chance that I have the Junior Timer connector is slim to none. If it's not common on a Ford vehicle it probably doesn't exist in my bins of salvaged wiring. Don't recall ever seeing one either...
    Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 12-30-2017 at 01:34 AM.

yeah its the skinny factor that I wonder about. The end cap is made from what looks like windshield washer tubing and its gone gummy.

That connector style is mostly used with Bosch parts. Ford uses the 2 pin version for the fuel injectors just like everyone else did. Otherwise you'll only find that connector on Euro cars. Find any Saab or Volvo or whatever and it has them scattered around. I do actually like the original design with the push to release wire latch more than Ford's injector connector tho, no stupid plastic finger that is almost guaranteed to break when you pull on it.

So this is computer controlled, and not all mechanical. Interesting, how complex is the system compared to SEFI?

how similar is the suspension is this compared to a box panther? would it be possible to do a big brake upgrade on it?
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, 2bbl 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. 86 Valve Body Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

The only thing "computer" controlled is the EGR valve itself. Its got a couple of inputs, crank sensor, a microswitch on the throttle that tells it when the throttle is closed, and I believe there is a temperature switch on the block too. I suspect the control isn't all that complex, EGR mostly runs at low engine speed, above idle, and when warm. Probably when those conditions are met the EGR controller opens the solenoid to send vacuum to the valve. The level of vacuum is controlled by a mechanical regulator that has a linkage off the throttle lever.

The actual fuel injection system is purely mechanical.

Its a Fox car. Suspension is very different from a Panther but there is a brake upgrade possible using later SN95 parts. I forget the particulars but basically you get whatever the correct spindles are, have the ball joint taper bored out to match up with the Fox ball joint and you bolt it up.

Dug into the AC compressor clutch noise. Unfortunately it was not just a bearing.

This is the front end of the compressor with the clutch plate removed. This is supposed to be a retaining ring groove, not a step.

Name:	1230171417.jpg 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	49035

The clutch, the hub at the top center is supposed to be attached to the thin plate on the right.

Name:	1230171418.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	49036

My guess is the rubber hub disintegrated and fetched up on the retaining ring. The ring spun until it chewed the retaining ring groove away completely.

The surface of the clutch disc and the hub. This is supposed to be flat. With no way to hold a gap between the hub and the plate, these parts are constantly dragging so it just ate away. Its supposed to use shim washers to set the gap, but that only works when the bearing doesn't just float to wherever it feels like.

Name:	1230171418b.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	49037

The lightly used clutch assembly from my Towncar alongside the trashed ones from the Continental. The bearing is actually OK in the Continental clutch, but it drags and makes noise. Its quiet now but since there is no retaining ring the bearing slides out and makes for no gap between the parts. I halfass considered taking the punch and raising some spots on the snout of the compressor and then buttering it up with loctite to hopefully hold the gap but I don't know that it would really work. I'll replace the compressor at some point, at least its a standard Ford FS-6 that is easy to get.

Name:	1230171425a.jpg 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	49038
    Last edited by gadget73; 12-30-2017 at 05:06 PM.

a not so quick video update

Going to do Mark VII wheels on this one too?
    Last edited by Grand Marquis GT; 01-15-2018 at 12:55 AM.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

nah, keeping the stock wires. 15" tires are also cheaper, and I don't have to buy another set of wheels.

I rebuilt the electric fan yesterday. No pics because of greasy hands, but its basically just a fan and I lubed the motor up. Not that big of a deal. I finally found the fan relay too. Here it is:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0212181712a.jpg 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	49274

How about a little closer?

Name:	0212181712.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	49275

Can't see it yet? Lets try it again with the panel out of the way

Name:	0212181708.jpg 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	49276

Designed in 1980. Someone was really planning ahead. Applications for this part seem to be 84 Lincoln diesel, and 90 Towncar with trailer tow package. WTF?

Name:	0212181705a.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	49277

Since I needed to sweep the floor, I moved the car out and took a pic. Apparently my phone has a fingerprint on the lens though, everything on the left side of each pic came out funky. Visible in the background is the S10, the Mark VII, and the Towncar.

Name:	0212181731a.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	49279
    Last edited by gadget73; 02-12-2018 at 09:40 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast