PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Couldn't find white walls worth paying money for, so it got blackwalls. They would have looked better but I can't make myself pay good money for terrible tires.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

You talking about those vogues or whatever? Yeah, I heard those are terrible. What about Coker tire? Although on second thought those are made for cars that never get driven.. Why my Townie got blackwalls. I'm still on the fence about those, would prefer whitewalls that are about 1.5-2.0x the width of the factory ones but nothing reputable of that nature existed at the time I went to buy tires for it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Just any whitewalls, not specifically Vogue. I'm too cheap to buy those anyway. There just aren't very many options in whitewall for a 215/70r15. TireRack has zero. Amazon can get me Milestar, Travelstar, or Mastercraft at not crazy prices but I know nothing of those. They sound like cheapo tires though, and they're the same or more expensive than the boring blackwalls I did buy. They don't look awesome, but they function well.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Firestone offered a whitewall on Affinty/Precision Touring, but those lines got dropped for their Champion series. Of course the whitewall went with it. I know their FR710 series still offers it since I had to put that set on the ‘87. It’s a decently average all-season radial, but not quite as nice in my opinion compared to Affinty Touring. I still have a set of those on my ‘97.

I know Cooper Trendsetter and Hankook Optimo (H724 series?) offers whitewall options too, besides Firestone. Those are about the only three brands I’d trust getting tires from since they’re decent name brand ones. The extra el-cheapo ones probably aren’t worth their questionable origins.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (320K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (200K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

I post a lot...

Iíve had Mastercraft tires. Served me well.

I've got the Champion or fuel fighter tires on my Lincoln and like them. Nice grip, classic type tread pattern and the sidewall had less going on with it than other tires I found. I like a clean sidewall, hard to find these days.

Tonight was more cooling system service work. The expansion tank developed a hairline crack and it was seeping coolant. I also had a slight drip out of the radiator drain. The NOS expansion tank and radiator cap I picked up on ebay a couple months before I knew I needed them came in handy. For the radiator, once I pulled the drain valve I found that the rubber sealing washer in there had a very noticeable indent where it screws in. I flipped the washer over to the flat side, should hopefully buy me another 34 years.

Didn't take pics of the drain valve, but there just isn't all that much to see.

Coolant bottles, old and new. Added bonus, I can see what the coolant level is without sticking a flashlight on top of the bottle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0417181727.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	49780

Hairline crack, it wasn't spraying but it would seep coolant. I figure this wasn't going to get any smaller, and if it decided to blow up it would be inconvenient.

Name:	0417181727a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	49781

Rad caps, old and new. Same thing on the radiator cap as the rad drain, same fix as well. I flipped the rubber gasket over, and the old cap is on the shelf as a spare. I may buy another coolant bottle if dude still has some left.

Name:	0417181749.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	49782

Name:	0417181749a.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	49783
    Last edited by gadget73; 04-17-2018 at 10:17 PM.

One of the high pressure steering lines popped on this thing last week. Pinhole right below the crimp, and it was aimed to spray ATF directly onto the starter. Fun times. Napa could get the hoses, and amazingly they weren't even that expensive. $25 each for what is officially a one-year one-engine part is a steal in my book. Didn't really get pics of the process, taking pictures while arm deep in a greasy mess is not exactly easy, but really there isn't much to show. Its two hoses, just connect them. Like all Fox cars, the rack end of things sucks ass to access, unlike most Fox cars this one also has an AC compressor and lines that make it all a little more difficult. I got to do it twice too, got it all together and then I found the O ring that should have been on the rack fitting. I have no idea what is in the goo under that car, but I have visible staining on my arms from the point where my gloves ended up to my armpits. Couldn't scrub it off, I guess it will just have to wear away.

Installed poly rack bushings while I was in there. I had tried to unbolt the rack to get some extra clearance for getting the line in. Found that the bushings had turned to jelly, so the very lightly used poly bushings from the Mark VII's old rack went in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0419182156b.jpg   0419182156a.jpg   0419182156.jpg   0419181731.jpg  
    Last edited by gadget73; 04-19-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Jesus, this car has sucked you right in and is nickel-n diming you to death

Its to be expected. 30+ year old weirdo car, things break. So far none of it has been anything completely unreasonable to deal with. I suspect not many things from 1984 are still rocking original power steering lines with that many miles. Car has 182K on the odometer.

Default AC repairs: the final frontier

Last week it was time to fix the AC. It was the remaining completely inoperable system on the car and being a fat guy I am no fan of sweating. John (86VickyLX) was kind enough to donate the AC compressor from his car, so on we go. First up, some pics of why I needed to replace the compressor

this is the compressor that was on the car when I got it. What you're looking at is the hub on the front of the compressor where the bearing is retained. Normally there is a retaining ring groove here, note the lack of a groove on this compressor.

Name:	damaged compressor.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	49913

Best I can figure is that when the original clutch came apart, the rubber grabbed the retaining ring and spun it until it ground the groove away. When I got it, the clutch was partially engaged because the bearing had nothing to hold it. This is the original clutch plate and hub.

Name:	dead clutch 1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	49914

So out with the old, in with the new. I got no pics of the process because there just isn't a lot of room. The compressor is below the power steering pump. To extract it, the pulley comes off the PS pump, a J-shaped bracket that the front of the compressor bolts to and which mounts under the PS pulley comes out, the lines are undone, the rear bolts are removed, then a Tetris-like puzzle occurs to fish the compressor out between the trans cooler lines, the front sway bar, the radiator, and all of the other crap that is down in that area. I probably should have dropped the sway bar, it would have made it easier. Also, there are some odd tubes attached to the compressor and some rear "feet" that hang up on things. Observe, on the "new" compressor ready for install.

Name:	new compressor 06.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	49915

I also found the wiring harness and connector were completely shot, so that also got fixed. I had another plug with suitable length wires on hand, and a connector from Napa was 7 bucks. Some crimp connectors, heat shrink, and wire loom put it all back to right.

Name:	clutch harness 03.jpg 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	49917

Initial plan was to simply vacuum it and charge it. I couldn't find a drier so I just pumped it for an hour and gave it a go. This worked for about 10 minutes. At some point while I was messing with the electric fan and not watching the gauges, it must have blown the relief valve because I lost most of the refrigerant. Further investigation showed the orifice tube is plugged solid.

Name:	clogged orifice.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	49916

I also found a source for the drier. Old stock, but I did find one. Motorcraft YF-1192.

Name:	new drier 02.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	49918

Name:	new drier 01.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	49919

So with a fresh drier, fresh orifice tube, and after a lot of solvent flushing of the condenser, I now get 42 degrees at the vents. I did consider replacing the condenser but its basically specific to the Continental. Fitting one of the commonly available Fox chassis ones would have needed some probably minor fabrication work to adapt the mounts. In the meantime its working, so F it.

Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    So with a fresh drier, fresh orifice tube, and after a lot of solvent flushing of the condenser, I now get 42 degrees at the vents. I did consider replacing the condenser but its basically specific to the Continental. Fitting one of the commonly available Fox chassis ones would have needed some probably minor fabrication work to adapt the mounts. In the meantime its working, so F it.
    I'm glad to hear you got it working! That compressor treated me well. I replaced my original (bad bearing) with that one. That one was sourced from Project 79 a while back in exchange for some trunk carpeting. Hopefully I can get my a/c back in my vic before it gets real hot. Racecar needs a/c too. And I don't mean R255 either.
    "Vicky" 1986 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX ..................................."Blue" 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Vicky
    Too much stuff to list in my signature...
    Blue
    Mods So Far:
    5.0 HO Swap from 92 Cougar, GT40 Intakes With Remanufactured GT40P Heads, Contour Cooling Fans, Autodimming Mirror With Compass, Frankensteined but fully functional JBL Premium Sound System, Working A/C, Big Front Brake Swap, more mods to come soon!

drink a beer, grow a beard, cut it, grind it, weld it back His Royal Ghostliness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86VickyLX View Post
    Racecar needs a/c too. And I don't mean R255 either.
    In your case, R455 is more better!
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

I find that 4 windows open actually works less well than 2 or 3 in the right spot and amount.

That compressor is quiet too. I'd forgotten what these are supposed to sound like. The one on the Towncar still sounds like a dying air raid siren.
    Last edited by gadget73; 05-02-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Mine used to sound like that, or someone shaking a can of spray paint with more than one marble in it.

My original on the Towncar was rattly, the reman Motorcraft one I installed several years ago seriously sounds like a dying ooga horn. Its horrible. Anyone that has ever ridden in my car has heard it. It works fine, which is the only reason it stays.

Your exhaust was so loud when I rode in it... I couldn't really hear anything else.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

yeah the drone is something that I'm really quite tired of. Its really bad at about 50 in OD, which seems to be a speed I spend a lot of time at. I did put a bunch of sound damper in the trunk and that helped but now instead of one really sharp loud peak, its a wider but less loud band. Maybe I need a second layer.

Tonight's project was fairly simple but effective. I tripped across some info on another forum that told me that 90s-early 00's Cadillacs had a Homelink compatible garage door opener in their overhead that pops right into the Lincoln overhead. These can be had for about 20 bucks, so I bought one. As advertised, it works fine. Much cleaner than the keychain or visor clip opener method anyway, and it makes use of that slot in the overhead.

Name:	garage door opener.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	49941
    Last edited by gadget73; 05-03-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Oh, neat. Almost looks like it grew there.

My Town Car has a similar drone. LoPo so it can't be as bad as your '86.

Southern

What is the purpose of that slot with the trap door on it? Is that to plug in a garage door opener?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast