Clear All

Way different than the aod trannies.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

yeah its very much different in there. This trans is really common on Euro cars though. Range Rover, Saab, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, and probably others ran it. ZF 4HP22, overall apparently not a terrible transmission but they get shitty when the filter clogs, and they seem prone to having the governor get sticky after a fluid change.

The trash may have been prior bad work, may be just old-ass transmission with wear. When I drained and refilled the trans I probably stirred up the muck in the pan. Possible if the O ring was installed on the filter like it should have been it wouldn't have been a problem.

One cool thing about the pan, it does not have bolts passing through a pan rail like the AOD and other Ford transmissions do. The pan has a rolled lip, more or less like a baking dish. The gasket sits on that rolled lip, and it uses a bolt with a U shaped piece of metal to clamp it. One "leg" on the U is shorter where it pushes against the pan, the long leg goes against the trans case. Makes it pretty hard to distort the pan from over-tightening it. I think the wee little bolts would break long before the pan bent. I think they're M6.
      Last edited by gadget73; 03-21-2018, 06:16 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        special diesel edition
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]49352[/ATTACH]
        Wow, that actually looks great on those. I almost bought a set of regular LSC lacy spokes when I owned it.
        Though the boring 15" spokes it came with kinda fit it I guess.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I agree, those wheels make me want to own one of those things, that color combo too.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Those wheels make me wanna get mine powder coated. Not that it will happen, because $$$... but still.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I found this stuffed under the front seat while I was puttering around under the dashboard today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0325182013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1283230

I'll scan it sometime so its more readable. Useful tidbits though, the factory exterior colors are 91 Pastel Cadet Blue Metallic and 5C Dark Cadet Blue Metallic. Interior is B, Charcoal (Midnight) Blue. It also apparently came with Michelin tires.
              Last edited by gadget73; 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like build sheets. Interesting stuff.

Comment

better scan of the sheet

Name:	build sheet scan.jpg
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	1283244

Spending time trying to make the wheels look less awful. This is the basic state of them as-bought

Name:	0306181700.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1283245

Name:	0306181700a.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1283246

This is what they look like de-spoked

Name:	0327181826.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1283247

A few steps missing, but this is the end result. There isn't really much to tell, basically its a matter of polishing each of the spokes, sanding the crusty center piece to get the corrosion off, then polishing it as best I can. Its pot metal so it will never have a great shine but getting the crust off is an improvement. I've been mounting it on the lathe to get the job done. Wheels are not perfect and I can't make them perfect, I can make them less bad looking though.

Name:	0306181658.jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1283248

Comment

Wheels look a lot better, tires, not so much.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I've never seen those despoked.. They indeed look much nicer and not that you have a poll going but my vote is for the black LSC lacy spoke wheels. The spokes just look frumpy with that ultra wide Lincoln center cap. My asshole opinion is that the spoke wheels look good on rag top Lincolns like Ashley had, gangsta.

Comment

I have new tires for it, just not on the wheels obviously. The goal is to finish making them as presentable as possible and then get the tires mounted next week. The LSC SE wheels are destined for the LSC SE. The one currently on it are truly horrible, and the tires are not in awesome shape either.

Comment

I feel like those were expensive to produce originally. I never realized they were more than a hubcap on a steel wheel. Interesting.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Loads of aluminum. The wheel and the spokes are all aluminum, the center piece is pot metal, basically zinc/aluminum. There were wire spoke hubcaps on Panthers, as well as an actual wire spoke wheel on the Towncar, but those are both different than these. I'm sure they were kinda spendy to make. It was one of the upgrade wheels, no idea what the cost was.

These were the three wheel choices in '84 according to the sales literature I picked up last weekend

Name:	0330182154.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1283249

L to R, wires, "road wheels", and the standard wheels.

To be perfectly honest all of them are bland to the point of needing road salt. If you really made me pick a favorite I'd go with the center option but its basically just the standard wheel with "windows" that are half sized.

I do sort of wish the original wood trim was in it. It was real wood, not the plastic crap it currently has. There was a TSB in 1987 that allowed for free replacement of the original wood to the 1987 plastic crap if the real stuff was peeling. I can only assume thats why I have plastic woodgrain with an E4 part number with "87" molded in next to the part number. Of course considering they were allowing customers a free replacement as far back as 1987 because it was failing, i can only imagine how it would look in 2018.
                            Last edited by gadget73; 03-30-2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]49646[/ATTACH]
                              Am I the only one who thinks this looks good? Maybe some sort of round top hex bolts for the holes?

Comment

I agree on the center option for '84 but also like the rightmost option.

Yeah on the woodtrim as well. Real is cool in the beginning but the plastic shit still holds up & looks decent after 25+ years in non perfect conditions.

Monty, I think the wheel without the spokes looks hideous. It's almost there but something is just wrong, like boobs without nipples.

Comment

Working...
                                X