rebuilding stock type belt tensioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rebuilding stock type belt tensioner?

Has anyone taken apart one of the old stock type belt tensioners with the "hat" in the middle of the pulley? The Continental uses that sort of setup and the tensioner is a little sloppy. I can't find one so it looks like repair is the option. Its just bearings but I need to know what is under the hat so I can get it apart for a rebuild. No idea if thats just a cap over a bolt, or if its a big-ass rivet holding the whole thing together. I can deal with either situation but knowing what I'm up against first would be stellar.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

This is the kind that I think it is. I didn't pull it but the pulley side looks just like this. And unfortunately no, its not the same back bracket even though its pretty close.Click image for larger version

Name:	tensioner2 .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1282732Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1282733
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tore apart the one on the Mad Marquis once. Used a punch to poke a hole in the hat so I could pry it off... then there's a snap ring holding the pulley on. The replacement pulley to use with a bolt-on style will work perfectly in place of that pulley, or you can replace the bearing... but you kinda have to destroy the cap to get it off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Don't care about the cap, I just needed to know what was under it. Snap ring I can deal with. I was hoping for a snap ring or a bolt, a peened over end would be a pain in the ass to deal with but not completely impossible.

Awesome, I'll pop that thing off sometime and see if I can get a whole pulley. If not I'm not above installing bearings.

Comment

Like to know what happens as I DID PURCHASE a replacement one and set it back. IT WAS sheet metal pulley a different dia and sharp edges worried me about cutting a belt.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

The pulley I got was plastic (glass fiber reinforced) with small guide walls and a slightly different size bearing (larger OD, same ID).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X