Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke my 3g charge stud. Now what?

He manned it right off. Am I SOL?

To be honest I got the nut to snug and she just gave way.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Isn't there a second nut that holds the stud in place? I remember something about a second nut. Maybe under the red shielding?

Comment

if there is not, I suspect you'll need to take it apart and replace it. It should just be a bolt from the inside of the rectifier assembly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have, what a surprise, a good, new brush, clocked 3g in Yonkers. It might be long ears though. I have the long (police?) bracket which is hard to find.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

This part?

Click image for larger version

Name:	f1-452-038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1282748
          https://store.alternatorparts.com/f1-452-038.aspx

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            This part?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48904[/ATTACH]
            If its that part, go later in the day to your friendly local autoparts store and ask to look at some alternator cores "for research". You'll probably come across a good one of them on a core somewhere. If you ask, they'll probably let you have it. I've done that for customers before. Its a removable part, just bolts on.
            -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
            1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
            1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
            1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
              I have, what a surprise, a good, new brush, clocked 3g in Yonkers. It might be long ears though. I have the long (police?) bracket which is hard to find.
              Measure that shit! I'm due for a new rotor in my diesel's 3G, one of the brush races (slip rings) was very grooved some 5000 miles ago, and now the stupid thing is wicked loud. I need 8.25" bolt center spacing on the front half of the case, tho ultimately that's of little importance since I can re-case and re-clock these in my sleep pretty much, just having the proper front half will make the job a bit easier...

This part?

That's not very commonly found on the 3G conversions, tho I suppose it depends on what application the alternator was intended for. The Mustang alt doesn't have that, heck if I remember if the Tortoise one has it or not and I'm too lazy to walk outside and check, lol
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

OEM they where used on the taurus 3G, I left mine on when I did the conversion, made it an easier access point. Check underhood of the front drive cars, they seem to be most common.

If you broke the stud coming out of the alternator, you;ll need to tear it down to replace the stud.

Comment

This part?

Negative. I have that part in my spare parts stash however.

I broke the stud on the alternator. Consensus says take it apart and replace it with another bolt. Guess that is what I will be doing.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Well. Its not just a nut and bolt holding the assembly to the rectifier. There is a stud pressed into the assembly, the same stud I accidentally shortened by gorilla'n it, and surprisingly my fix involved shortening it even more!

Once the back half of the alternator is removed (make sure to remove voltage regulator first) you will find a rather long nut bolted to the same stud I wrecked. I basically chopped down the existing stud to about half the lenght so that large nut that threads on has about half the nut empty for a bolt to now thread into it.

I'll put some electrical schmoo in there when I tighten the voltage sense wire and charge cable to her. Worth a shot versus purchasing a new one.

Here you can see the one large piece that I ripped off then the two smaller precise cuts I did with a dremel. You can also see the new bolt that will hold the charge cables in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1282749
                    Attached Files
                    ~David~

Comment

ah... you broke THAT bolt. DOH! Nice fix though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was expecting that to be a bolt with a nut inside, not a pressed-in stud.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, pressed in, I remember now that Dave jogged my memory. I couldn't remember why I didn't bother fixing mine other than I had another brand new alt for the other car that i stole (and still haven't gotten the 3g conversion done on that one). I'll have to revisit mine and see if mine broke in a way that would allow for the same fix since that alt was also only a year or two old before I broke it.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                          X