Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 3.73:1 be too much gear for an HO-swapped panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would 3.73:1 be too much gear for an HO-swapped panther?

I ask because I am planning to go back to stock gears in my '95 Mustang and would like to use the 3.73s that are currently in there in the Mercury. It's likely going to end up with an HO swap, or possibly a GT-40P headed motor next year.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

no.
    i have 3.73's in the LSS.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Beautiful. Thanks for the input.
      —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

+1 3.73 are fine. You'll want the 7 tooth transmission output shaft from the Mustang or you'll need a 23 tooth speedo gear to get the speedo to be correct or a VSS signal modifier module to step down the signal.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Scott, remember he's in TX - they laugh at 75 mph speed limits there...
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

yes... yes we do...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I actually tend to set my cruise control at about 78.
              —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                I actually tend to set my cruise control at about 78.
                I have some 3:55 if u want them for cheap dont need them. They came with a track lock I bought.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                  I have some 3:55 if u want them for cheap dont need them. They came with a track lock I bought.
                  No, thanks. Not going to take a chance on used gears without knowing their history.
                  —John

Comment

Oddly enough, I'll take my chances with US-made used factory gears rather than new Chinese junk. And I hate to break to you, unless your new gears are NOS Ford parts, you are getting Chinese shit (there is only one aftermarket manufacturer who still machines gears in house, forgot who that is tho, but their facility is in the Chicago area). Even Ford actually dropped the ball with the whale Panthers, they have shit gears as well.

So yeah, if I have a choice I'd do NOS box- to aero-era Ford parts, or used Ford parts from the same period, not touching '99-up Ford gears new or used, or anything aftermarket.
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Well, that's just dandy. I'm looking to go back to stock in the Mustang, which means 3.08s. I'll have to look around for a NOS or a good used set, then.
                      —John

Comment

trade the ones out of the Mercury.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          trade the ones out of the Mercury.
                          I would, but it has the all-too-common 2.73 open axle.
                          —John

Comment

I was literally about to make a post about this. I just got done with my HO conversion on my '86 town car, and with the GT cam, it's a dog down low in the RPM's. Aside from the trans go shift kit, I was going to try and get a set of 3.55's from a p71. Mine also has the 2.73 gears since my TC is a base model.

Comment

My main concern is that I'll end up turning too many RPM on the highway. I have 3.73s in the Mustang with 26.1" rear tires, a .67 5th gear. I turn around 2500 around 75. It's just too much in the Mustang. Might feel different in a big car like the Mercury, though. Probably help with passing on the highway. A 3.55 gear set might be a good compromise and wouldn't require that I wait until I get around to swapping the gears out of the Mustang.
                              —John

Comment

Working...
                              X