Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 3.73:1 be too much gear for an HO-swapped panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another question for y'all: what is the benefit to having a traction lock differential if you're not trying to modify the car entirely for performance?

While I want to HO swap the car and add a healthy exhaust to get a bit more power, my main goal for the car is to maintain the smooth-driving, boulevard ride, grandpa feel of the car. Do I really need a traction lock rear end? I don't have to worry about driving this car in snow perhaps once every ten years or so. Is there any advantage other than being able to do two-wheel burnouts?
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Snow? Don't know if your part of TX sees it or not. The track lock made getting unstuck easier when the lopo was still running. Problem I had was when I got on it, the lopo didn't rev high enough to keep the rear from kicking out on me. I suspect with a mod'd HO, I will be able to keep that car straight..........hopefully.

Comment

TL is only for getting un-stuck or keep from getting stuck. All other bad weather driving is keeping it from working like a spool and just sliding one wheel. It sure is fun to drift in the snow though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

well, traction. Helps in rain and other less than ideal conditions. Also helps with launches on dry, instead of the one tire fire you actually get traction and accelerate.

Put it this way, my diesel car will do a one tire fire with 180 ft-lb of torque and a 3.73 rear. If I can roast the tire with that gearing and that little of an engine, a traction lock is useful.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I love me some trak loc. Even underpowered turds benefit from it. Our F150 is case in point. We can actually pull out in traffic in the rain. No more one inside tire fire like gadget mentioned, it moves instead.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

In addition to the aforementioned points it makes the car more predictable. If you go sideways...by accident or on purpose with an open diff, and for whatever reason the wheel that is spinning gets traction and the other side looses traction, it can be a bit unpredictable, or launch you into a tree like someone I know.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Great responses. I'm really just trying to find excuses to not spend the extra $250 to get a used t-lok. Just gotta save my pennies.
                —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

$250. shit, i got mine for $40 at a u-pull it yard, and bought a rebuild kit for maybe $80?...but i rebuilt and installed it myself, so i guess their labor counts for something
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

$250 is what I was quoted for a place in Fort Worth that has a used one they'll throw in along with a gear swap. A junkyard about an hour from my house quoted me the same price for one out of a '96 Mustang GT. I'm sure I could find one cheaper, but they're getting scarce.
                    —John

Comment

Right, the U-pull yards around here only charge you for the name, like "Axle" or "Engine." They give 0 fucks if it's got posi, disc brakes or what it came from.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

There are a couple of local yards that don't post their inventory online. I'll have to give their panther selection a look sometime in the near future.
                        —John

Comment

Don’t overlook most 4.0 Rangers as 28 spline traction lok donors. Many of the 4.0 4x4 trucks are traction lok. Avoid FX4 as some of them got 31 splines and a Torsen LSD, unless you want new axles as well.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I assume the axle codes are the same across all Ford and Mercury vehicles? The trucks didn't use different codes?
                            —John

Comment

This may prove helpful. Never have I ever seen a factory 4.56 truck.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

ranger max tow package me would think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X