Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would 3.73:1 be too much gear for an HO-swapped panther?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember driving the Beetle circa 2000 in the era of "massive SUV" before the crossover existed. It was downright scary. VW's would do highway speed but it wasn't easy getting over 75. It would top out on flat ground about 87 mph but it took a good amount of time getting there. I spent so much time with my foot buried in the carpet that I'm amazed it didn't wear through.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
      Tends to be the case in TX as well. The solution we have found works best is simply growing up, in vehicle size that is. Few people are stupid enough to fuck with a 4-door longbed truck built on a medium-duty chassis and rolling on 10-lug dump truck (literally!) wheels with axles to match. When your fuel tanks alone are larger in diameter than some people's tires and longer than other people's truck beds, both groups generally tend to leave you to your own devices if you're going close to the speed limit and instead simply wait more or less patiently for an opportunity to pass you. In other words fuck the right of way, right of weight tends to be what most iphone-totting fuckheads out there seem to respect more So just make sure you got more weight than them, simple enough.
      Pretty good policy i'd say, although people here seem to have a death wish in many instances. I enjoy watching idiots in shitty scions and versas cut off 18-wheelers and slam on the brakes. While noting how stupid many people here are about so many subjects, physics really seems to elude them. Sometimes it feels like a game when i'm on the freeway and everyone just wants to get in front of me. Not get any further, mind, just whip around, cut me off, and then go the same speed. Typically these are people in much smaller vehicles, although i do get the occasional assclown in a giant flatbed loaded 30ft high with fucking pallets cutting me off into the fast lane. Driving is truly like a gladiator sport these days, making me glad my poor car doesn't see much of the road. Bad for the soul though. Most times when i see an accident these days i laugh because i figure they're both idiots. Feel like i'm turning into a bad person.

Comment

You want to see stupid move to KY. Just yesterday saw 4 vehicles run red lights one a semi, 6 vehicles turn right at intersection at red lights or stop signs,
        many areas seemingly just set up to cause an accident to help support hospitals etc.
        I fear riding my motorcycle more here than when I lived in the detroit area. Didnt even ride my bike this year and only one tank of gas last year.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Tends to be the case in TX as well. The solution we have found works best is simply growing up, in vehicle size that is. Few people are stupid enough to fuck with a 4-door longbed truck built on a medium-duty chassis and rolling on 10-lug dump truck (literally!) wheels with axles to match. When your fuel tanks alone are larger in diameter than some people's tires and longer than other people's truck beds, both groups generally tend to leave you to your own devices if you're going close to the speed limit and instead simply wait more or less patiently for an opportunity to pass you. In other words fuck the right of way, right of weight tends to be what most iphone-totting fuckheads out there seem to respect more So just make sure you got more weight than them, simple enough.
          QFT!

My Expedition gets a lot more respect with the deer launcher on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There are precious few places to get a gear install done in WF. I had one place quote me $600 for labor alone to install gears in a Ford 8.8 rear end. Does this sound reasonable?

I haven't had gears done since 2009, and that was in Delaware. I have no clue what is a good price anymore.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Sounds high. You can buy all of the tools and do it yourself for less than that.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Considering shop labor costs... that sounds about right for north Texas. I think they go for 6 book hours.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Well that figures. I'll see about getting some more quotes and see where that one stands.
                  —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

I still just have a hard time forking out that much money when I could buy the tools, do it myself, and then be able to do it again if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      I still just have a hard time forking out that much money when I could buy the tools, do it myself, and then be able to do it again if needed.
                      My thoughts exactly. I want to put new gears in the Mercury and the Mustang. $1200 for both! That's $250 more than what I paid for the Mercury.
                      —John

Comment

Well, I called a place in OKC called Gary's Differential that has done work for my Dad and has a lot of recommendations on local forums. They quoted me $375 labor if I supply the parts. I also called a place in Fort Worth called Differential and Gear of Fort Worth that quoted me $400 plus the cost of fluids. They also said that they have a used 28-spline traction-lock carrier from an earlier job for a customer that went to 31-spline. They'd throw that in for $250, so about $650-700 total.

Not too bad, I think.
                        —John

Comment

Nice. the 28 spline carriers are getting hard to find.

Comment

Thats a more reasonable rate. And yeah, those things are getting hard to find. I wonder if there is any source for 28 spline spider gears for a traction lock. That would let you build one from a 31 spline carrier at least.

Comment

There was a source for them shortly after Nick bought the Mark VI from me. He had to have them replaced. Turns out, those gears chewing themselves into oblivion was the intermittent humming noise coming from the rear axle.

Comment

Wish it was just easier to swap to 31-spline axles.

Comment

Working...
                                X