Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Crown Vic trunk lid won't lock

Hi, everybody,

On my 90 CV, the trunk lock mechanism won't lock up to the latch, even though both are square to each other. Also, the offset key lock mechanism seems to rotate more than it should! Is there a cable from the key lock to the trunk lock mechanism that I should investigate? Are the springs in the trunk lock mechanism getting tired? What should I do? Thanks for any ideas.

If you have a trunk popper, that's the cable/solenoid to check out and see if it's bound up or seized. Check to see if the latch is already closed and turn the key while pulling on the latch with a screwdriver or other rod you can poke in the latch to get it open.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hmm, o.k., I'll try it out. Thanks! If anybody else has any ideas, let me know.

Comment

can you latch it manually with a screwdriver acting as the hoop? That might show you whats going on in there. Sometimes things just get stuck and need a good shot of lubrication to get it working again.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Using the screwdriver method, the latch still won't latch manually. So, I've concluded that the latch is a goner.

I went to the West Side Auto Junkyard (pick 'n pull) and searched around for a 88-91 Crown Vic. The closest that I got was one 87 Crown Vic with a different latching mechanism. BTW, that 87 had a factory rear sway bar (my 90 CV already has a rear sway bar).

There were a lot of 90's Lincoln Town Cars on the lot, though (their trunk latch is totally different).

Comment

if the spring doesn't appear broken, pull the latch and hose it down with penetrating oil. Might just be stuck. Not that complex of a mechanism really, just a pivoting thing with a spring and a latch pawl that holds it. The lock rod just pulls on the latch pawl so it releases.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X