1989 Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Grand Marquis LS

It pains me write this post, but it may be time for me to sell my daily driver. A car of German origin has captured my attention, and if it is available after the holidays, I will purchase it. This would necessitate the sale of this car.

I purchased the car with about 145,000 mile on it about a year ago, it now sits at about 175,000. I believe I am the third owner. Mechanically the car is solid, the transmission was professionally rebuilt by the previous owner around 115,000 miles if my memory is correct, I do have paperwork. It has had 30,000 mile fluid and filter changes since the rebuild. I installed a brass throttle valve cable bushing shortly after purchasing the car. At the time of purchase, the tires were pretty bald, so I purchased 4 new tires, and 4 new snow tires. The snow tires are currently mounted on a decent set of turbines. The car has had a recent full tune-up, plugs, wires, cap, and air filter. The upper intake gasket, and valve cover gaskets have been replaced under my ownership. I have flushed the coolant, and preemptively changed the thermostat. I also flushed the brake fluid and changed the differential oil. The battery is also less than a year old. Both drive belts are new, as is the tensioner pulley on the AC Belt. The front brake rotors are less than a year old. As far as any other maintenance goes, I have replaced the turn signal stack, and headlight switch. The car has an aftermarket tach, and coolant temp guage. Both work, but the light in the temp gauge has died. The car has an aftermarket radio, 4 good speakers, 2 of which are Rockford Fosgate, and a 10" subwoofer in the truck. The system was tuned for clarity and response, not huge bass, so it will sound good with any music that you listen to. The car has an airlift system for the real coils, they are manually inflatable, and fix the sag when you load the trunk up with stuff.

Overall the body of the car is pretty decent considering the age, the paint is nice, and shines up well. There is fairly minimal rust, the bottoms of the door would be the worst spot, no holes though. The frame has surface rust in patches, but is overall in great shape. The rear passenger door has a dent, you do have to look for it, and the rear quarter was backed into, and there is some rippling there, I attached a close up picture of that spot. The windshield was replaced by the previous owner so it is not heavily pitted.

It does leak a little oil, and burns a little. I usually put two quarts in before each change at 5000. I do use full synthetic, usually mobile one. It does not leak any coolant, nor trans fluid. The car drives well, and the suspension feels good to me, although I have to admit that this is the only panther car I have driven. The motor idles very smoothly, is quiet, and is plenty responsive, which is all you can ask of a LOPO I guess. The transmission shift well. It gives me 15 mpg in town, 18 mpg going 75, and over 20 if I drive 55-60.

As far as mechanical faults go, the two rear windows do not go up or down, but I can hear the motors working. The engine does have a tap on cold starts, not sure if it is a lifter or the "LOPO knock", but it goes away after about 1-2 seconds, and tends to be more apparent if I use an oil filter other than the Motor craft FL1-A. It has not gotten any worse since I've owned the car. The car had a stripped drain plug when I purchased it, so I put one of these in, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-65109. To my surprise it has not leaked from the drain plug since I installed it.

I'm pretty anal about maintenance, and this car is honestly the most reliable I have ever owned, I play with old bmw's so that's to be expected. It has not given me any real trouble, and it was excellent my on my two hour round trip commute. I would be happy to see it go to a new owner, but I would feel too bad about keeping it either. I'm happy to answer any questions. Not really sure what its worth, so make an offer if you are interested.

Attached Files

Where are you located? That would be some good info to add.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Where are you located? That would be some good info to add.
      Thanks, location added to bio.

Comment

Southern CT (for those on mobile that doesn't show that info)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey all, just had the water pump replaced. I need to downsize the fleet, so I am motivated to sell. I'm asking $2000

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	1282916Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1282915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1282914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	1282913Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1282912Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1282911Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1282910Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1282909Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2685.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1282917
          Attached Files

Comment

More picsClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2686.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1282918Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2695.jpg
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1282926Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2694.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1282925Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2693.jpg
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	1282924Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2692.jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1282923Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1282922Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1282921Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1282920Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2687.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1282919Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2696.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1282927

Comment

Price reduced to $1600 OBO. I am loosing my spot for this car, so it needs to go, I would much rather sell it to someone on here, make me an offer.

Comment

Working...
              X