No announcement yet.

Top dead center for dummies........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal, very true........after 1956 and the demise of the Packard foundry, Stude had to find an engine of the same HP.....(the 352 4bbl Packard was 275 bhp) so.......hello Robert McCullough chain saws and superchargers......the blower made the Stude engine have the same 275 bhp....albeit via a 2bbl Stromberg carb....the Avanti used one AFB and reduced compression of 9:1 to compensate for the blower boost. Underrated at 290 bhp out of 289 with 3.07 and or 3.31 final drive the cars had no problem reaching 150 mph.....there was the special R-3 and R-4 engines and the R-5,,,,,which went 197 at Bonneville. To me the Avanti was the first muscle car or pony car....of that era.
    Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    The blower was a normal thing for the Studebaker's actually, may have been optional but certainly not a one-off type of deal like if you see one in say a Mustang.

That said, this blower clearly feeds the devil, aka blow-thru carb. Evil them things are, evil! lol

Comment

The carb was specially sealed to handle the blower pressure.
      Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
      The blower was a normal thing for the Studebakers actually, may have been optional but certainly not a one-off type of deal like if you see one in say a Mustang.

That said, this blower clearly feeds the devil, aka blow-thru carb. Evil them things are, evil! lol

Comment

Tiggy, I will look for some more..........love the sound of the blower when the RPMs rise and the expressway...........
        Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        More pics! I spot... a supercharger!

Comment

Almost as pretty of the old Sicilian GF
          Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          pretty

Comment

The Avanti is a much overlooked vehicle. Its also very much a love it or hate it style. I think they're incredibly cool. Studebaker also isn't so much a name that comes to mind for muscle cars, but the Stude Hawk was a right powerful car in it's day. Kinda an early entry into the big motor in a small car field, same reason that the Mustang, the Dart, and the Nova were hot shit at various points.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes you are correct.....no middle ground.......when the car came out I was 14 years old, and went a bit crazy...I thought is looked like it came from outer space.....my grandfather, and father were Studebaker owners..... when I was seven my dad had his '56 Golden Hawk with that big Packard engine, his buddy was an excellent mechanic and they pulled the 352 engine, and in its place stuffed the biggest Packard engine of that year,,,,the 374 dual quad engine(300bhp).....three speed with over drive,,,,and twin traction (which Studebaker invented, and licensed to GM as posi traction) had to keep two bags of 100 pound cement in the trunk, that was how bad the wheel hop was when he "got on it" . It is no secret that when the Avanti came out towards the end of 1962, Ford engineers were all over the car, many of the dimensions and styling cues found there way to the first 'Stang. Also in 1956 only the MoPar 300 could out run the Golden Hawk, but not by much!!
              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The Avanti is a much overlooked vehicle. Its also very much a love it or hate it style. I think they're incredibly cool. Studebaker also isn't so much a name that comes to mind for muscle cars, but the Stude Hawk was a right powerful car in it's day. Kinda an early entry into the big motor in a small car field, same reason that the Mustang, the Dart, and the Nova were hot shit at various points.
              Last edited by Toploader; 01-11-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	190069.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	1282871Click image for larger version

Name:	2md0yo9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1282872
                Second picture is of my two cousins back in 1963

Comment

With my little eye I spy a 1959 Impala in the background...
                  Rather nice photo, not blurry or splotched like most I see from before the digital age.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yes, and next to the Impala looks to be a '57 Caddy, all kinds of cars in that pic...my mom also had a '57 MoPar Windsor four door......love the Virgil Exner designs for MoPar.....he came over there from Studebaker....John Delorian(sp) started at Studebaker, stayed while Packard was merged.....then left......so many stories.....Ferry Porsche offered to build a small car for Studebaker, they passed...but made the Lark, which was a huge seller.........then the big three caught up to the compact craze///AND!!!!!!!!!!! Enzo Ferrari offered to license his 6 cyl engine to Studebaker for the Avanti (which he loved), again they passed.....all the what "if's" of life...oh well.......
                    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    With my little eye I spy a 1959 Impala in the background...
                    Rather nice photo, not blurry or splotched like most I see from before the digital age.

Comment

I’ve seen people use a length of short pipe that can be threaded into the spark plug hole. On the other end, a baloon. Once it’s fully inflated and just before it deflates a bit is where TDC is. Gotta love Youtube!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

That's a great idea Tom! Especially for setups where one cannot easily use a finger due to headers getting in the way.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yeah really, great f'in idea!

Nice info, Toploader. Stories like that are pretty cool, insightful.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Derek if you Google Loewy BMW, you will see a 1957 BMW that Loewy re-designed to his own ideas, had it built in France.....that car the Loewy Jag, and the Loewy Lancia all led to the Avanti especially the BMW!Click image for larger version

Name:	uc7592.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1282875Click image for larger version

Name:	Boano_Loewy_Jaguar_XK140_Coupe_1955_05A.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1282876 .....
                            Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Yeah really, great f'in idea!

Nice info, Toploader. Stories like that are pretty cool, insightful.

Comment

Here’s the video:

https://youtu.be/bd1AMuI0Eec

This dude is an amaing backyard mechanic.
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti  booth.jpg
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	1282877Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti bonding 3.jpg
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1282878Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti-MFG Body Co Assm Line.jpg