Cassette Player Poppin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
    Sometimes it is bad conections or oil fouled engine electrical like alternator, yes been there done that.
    I was able to do a 3G swap last year.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

The other thing that happens with tapes of all flavors is the little foam block on the cartridge wears out. When that happens the tape may not contact the head properly and then it sounds all stupid. A piece of foam of the right size and thickness will fix it, you just have to remove the old and install it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, the foam thing.... I Grubbed up some unwanted tapes & harvested the foam/backing plate. Easy to rpl on screw together types, the bonded shell not so much. I haven't had time to experiment with finding a glue that won't eat the foam.
        Last edited by mitymerc; 01-20-2018, 05:47 AM. Reason: autocorrect lol

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I've seen people use self-stick weatherstrip for that. Glue already included. I don't actually own any tapes so not sure what the right size is. Should be able to pull a loop of tape over the foam and fix it in place on the bonded types.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ah, I never thought of that foam thing. Perhaps that's what the problem is. Can tape heads wear out? I've heard of people replacing them...
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

they can but you can see it when they wear. The band across the middle where the tape lays will be darker than the rest even after cleaning. You have to run a whole lot of tape to wear those out.

Comment

Hmm, I'll have to take another look then. (I'm sure it's down there somewhere...)

Comment

Trying to think of was i used to use to replace that tape foam. Been a lot of years but i know i've done it. Harder with 8 tracks because the whole thing is bigger, including the gap.

Comment

As a guy who was into high end audio during the late 70's into the 80's.....I recently had my RX-505 Nakamichi completely restored to better than new......costing me more than I paid when new....anyway I found that some tapes played amazing, others muffled and like sheet.....keep in mind the quality of the shell has a tremendous effect on playback quality, especially pre-records....which typically utilized the cheapest crap tape shells.
                    Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Any of you guys happen to know what causes some tapes to play as if they're muffled but others to play fine? I've got an old Denon tape deck and that's what I get out of it from time to time. Cleaning it with alcohol works with some tapes but not for others. And for some, it only works for a couple seconds of play and then it's back to muffled.

Comment

https://youtu.be/ZBwRSxTmdWw

Comment

there is also the possibility that the tape itself is just failing. It can and does break down, especially with heat or if left near something with a magnetic field.

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                          Cool thing. I don't recall the manufacturer but I had 2 track way back when.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

I think it's just the tape breaking down. Some parts of it do play ok. I talked to the friend who gave me all of the tapes and said that one was a "go to" tape for him and was typically left in the car.

Toploader, you still have any of that hifi gear? My dad used to have a Marantz 2275 and one of their second from best turntable. He threw it away years ago though. Now those things are worth north of $400 for a dead/beat up one without the nice walnut case.

Comment

Dang this makes me want to go dig that stereo out of my mom's garage. It's from the '70s, plays 8-tracks, standard cassettes, and all records. 33's, 45's, 78's, and with the cool record-dropper that changes to the next one when you put a stack on there. Sounds quality was ok, not great but it has RCA outs so you can just plug it into a good-powered receiver. Might have to get back into that. I have a shitload of records.

Comment

I tend to sneer at things that aren't component based. Like a TV with a VCR integrated into it, just wrong. Unless of course you've got yourself a console stereo. My grandfather used to have one circa 1971 or something, RCA. Looked fantabulous. Played 45's or 33.3's and also the radio. Could also hook another set of speakers up to it. Wish I had it.

Comment

Working...
                                X