No announcement yet.

Cassette Player Poppin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little update on this. I used a wet cassette cleaner tape I got off of evil bay. Didnt help, just made the popping turn more into a med frequency humming sound. When you press the button to go from one side of the tape to the other (I think that's what the button is for) it's louder on one side than it is on the other. I think now it may be a bad ground or connection someone in the unit. My Easy E tape was bran new BTW. It was made a few years back so I think it should rule out it being a tape problem. I'm in no hurry to jack with this now, but I do plan on pulling the radio and checking it out before I upgrade decks.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

Have you tried Elvis, or Dean Martin, or Sinatra? They restored my popping tape deck to near-perfect function. Now it even permits the occasional zz top, pre-mtv era.

I figure that being original it has a bias to the music the original owner would have listened to back when it was new. Been working for me so far. Plus i like that old music and it just seems to go with the car
      96 MGM
      sigpic
      Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Hahaha!

I'm not really a Dean Martin fan but I'll throw Elvis or Sinatra on. Harry Belafonte too. Pre MTV ZZ Top is the best ZZ Top for me. Blue Jean Blues man.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sometimes the cassette tapes are too tight on the reels. Put the tape in a portable player and fast forward then reverse. Sometimes it helps.
          Cleaning with denatured alcohol does help. Regular alcohol leaves a film. The rubber band always should be replaced. They just wear out. With that said. Shop around and have the unit refurbished. You will be much happier. If I sell a cassette/cd player, I generally sell as is. Refurbishing is not that expensive, it normally is done right, has some kind of warranty. The older units when purchased should be viewed as needing to be refurbished. Ebay sellers are outrageous with the prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
            ...Ebay sellers are outrageous with the prices.
            This. Pretty much any private seller is. Looking for a factory tape deck for our '89 K1500. Someone had a want thread posted & two people replied. I figured this would save me a junkyard trip, maybe $25 for all the garbage + shipping as it's not like the factory stuff is audiophile grade. Nope, this guy wanted $100 for just the tapedeck+ equalizer portion. No amp, no head unit and no wiring & it wasn't refurbished. What a joke. Recently I just GAVE gadget a bunch of shit for his Continental. I didn't even make the poor bastard pay shipping. Fuckin' hobby people helping other hobby people. WTF happened to that?

Comment

Yeah Dean's pretty hit or miss, can't go wrong with the christmas album tho and the cover's pretty cool
              Click image for larger version

Name:	dino-winter-cover.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1283276

this new high finance era is bringing out the worst in some people. if they're not trying to wring out the last nickel from someone else's old junk, they're sending it to scrap out of spite ?? so i'm going back to 1959 with dean-o in my old 88 lol
              96 MGM
              sigpic

Comment

The stuff you would figure to be inexpensive is stupidly priced a lot of times. I don't get it honestly. I guess there must be a market for it or it wouldn't be priced like that.

On the other hand you can sometimes find parts for really stinking cheap if its a part nobody cares about. Ebay is great for stuff like that.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I remembered something about the popping tape deck. Before turning the key off, i always eject the tape, then shut off the radio, to save the electrics in the stereo from getting jolted on startup.

When i first got the car the tape deck would pop, sometimes right away, sometimes after a song or 2. After doing the shut-the-deck-off-first thing, eventually it quit popping altogether.

So while i initially praised elvis, dean martin et al, it may have been my dad, an old stereo and electronics guy, who always told me to turn electrical things on and off by the switch, not by the plug, key, etc...
                  96 MGM
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, everyone wants to cheat the other guy to beef up their own wallet it seems. When you spread the wealth around, everyone has more to go farther & then hopefully buy more of someone else's crap to keep them in business. You only end up screwing everyone in the end including yourself by trying to pinch pennies. I am not a wealthy man by any means either, I just like to give people good deals and stupid me hopes I'll get good deals in return yet it hasn't happened yet haha.. Oh well, I can't control their actions but at least I can control mine. Some would say I'm stupid, I'd say I'm generous. Pass it on.

Yep, I make sure every damn thing is off in the car before I turn the key off. Or, if I get in a car & flip the key and see stuff turn on, I turn it off before starting the engine as that also freaks out the electronicals.

Comment

I always turn things off with the switch, the one on the column with a key in it
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Even if you're the type that immediately jams the key in & flips it to "Start" there's still that millisecond where things try to power up only to be cut off from power again. That makes me cringe. I'm a get in, flip key to run, wait until fuel pump primes and other non controllable electric stuff stops thrashing and then flip to start kind of guy. So far I've lost/killed nothing doing things this way. The only car I didn't do this with is my Fury, which was analog everywhere so it didn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                        X