X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so who ended up buying it?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Not me.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Not I said the pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
          Its weird how half of the 'point' in the middle of the bumper is flattened for the license plate. I've not seen that on other 79-80 bumpers.
          Yeah I noticed that...
          Some have the offset plate mount, some have the middle. Since I've never seen (in person or in photos) a bumper set up for the middle plate mount, but without a plate present, I don't know what's up with it. I'm sure others here have though.

Edit: as quickly as I said that, I regretted it, as scrolling just a little further in Google found this: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8290/7...7286c358_b.jpg

Google finds this pic with the middle plate bracket present: http://www.imcdb.org/i336574.jpg
          Looks like it has a flat spot in the middle for the plate.

I prefer the offset look, but I know it drives some people crazy (as do front plates in general).

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
          Okay so who ended up buying it?
          Not I, nor any agent working on my behalf.
          Last edited by kishy; 01-24-2018, 11:57 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
            Doesn’t look like it has any bumperette provisions. I think this a super stripper base type bumper.
            Originally posted by kishy View Post
            Right you are. That kinda turns me off of it.

What I want is the faux grilles (and they are - the inserts that go in them do not flow through), the bumperettes, but no rub strips.

This combo exists but is (understandably) hard to come by now.
            Is the only difference in GM to CV bumpers (up to before 90) the placement of where the bumperette mounting holes were drilled?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdofprey View Post
              Is the only difference in GM to CV bumpers (up to before 90) the placement of where the bumperette mounting holes were drilled?
              Like in terms of the metal shell itself?
              That, and the grille openings are different sizes/spaced differently, similar to how the bumperettes kinda line up with the width of the grille.

It's up to 87.

I've had a feeling the angle/pokeyness of the middle of the bumper might vary between the two but I think I may have imagined it.

Ford vs Mercury here (top half, the rears are the same), you'll have to imagine the grille holes though:

1980 Mercury here (yes, I'm incredibly pissed I didn't have the foresight to take that when it was there):

Last edited by kishy; 01-24-2018, 05:29 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
              | Junkyards

Comment

Yeah I meant just the metal, was curious if the overall shape was the same. Thank you.

Comment

IIRC all 79 had the center mount plate, while 80 changed to the left side mount.

Living in a state that requires the front tag, i’d Prefer the center mount. If I was one of you lucky people living where no front tag is required, that 80-87 bumper is slick with a carriage bolt in place of the tag mount.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Hmm. Wonder who picked that up.....

Was indeed a 1979 bumper. Many thanks to tiggie for finding the gem as I would have never come across it! Thanks to Zach for picking it up and confirming it is in great shape.

Already picked up the center bumper pad. Now to find a set of grilles.......
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Hmm. Wonder who picked that up.....

Was indeed a 1979 bumper. Many thanks to tiggie for finding the gem as I would have never come across it! Thanks to Zach for picking it up and confirming it is in great shape.

Already picked up the center bumper pad. Now to find a set of grilles.......
                      You're welcome on the pickup.

This thing is really nice. From what I could tell, it was boxed at some point, but the box must have fallen apart with age, just leaving the little portion on the end with Ford Service Part branding.

If you key in the part number (D9AZ-17757-A), there's essentially nothing about this bumper that I can find. Based on how the ending letter usually denotes a different series or change, the 'A' type bumper is no moulding, no bumperettes setup. I bet a 'B' and 'C' series exist, probably the others being no moulding, with bumperettes, and with moulding, with bumperettes. I don't think I've ever seen a '79-'87 bumper with just the moulding and no bumperettes.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Glad that someone on here got it!

Comment

I think the bumpers were wrapped rather than boxed.

Here is my NOS rear bumper in its "wrapper"

Attached Files
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Glad to be of some help!
                            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes, that was a good (great!) get.

There's the exact Mercury version of that out there, which I've resisted getting because it doesn't have the bumperette provisions. It's been in my watch list for years, taunting me...

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                              | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                Now to find a set of grilles.......
                                Sent you a PM with some leads.

Comment

Working...
                                X