1989 Crown Victoria Police Package Brochure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 Crown Victoria Police Package Brochure

I figured here would be the best place to park this so it doesn't get lost, somebody a while back posted small low res pics of these pages, here they are in full size and readable. The good thing about having a cold, you got time to meander around the cob webs on your hard drives.

One thing of interest/surprise: 85mph speedometer optional for police cars.

Alex.
    Attached Files

Awesome. Seen a few of these on eBay and though of adding them to the collection. Now i can read it for free!
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You ever think about uploading to Oldcarbrochures.com?

A 160amp alternator, cool. But gawd, that 351 they offered is a total joke. 20 HP more, a measly 5fts extra in the torque department and all the mediocrity of that stupid carb and terrible MPG compared to the 302 SEFI motor. Should've dropped it when the SEFI became standard in '86.
      Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 01-24-2018, 07:47 AM.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

They should have put some high flow heads on it with a long tube intake and SEFI. Box with 300hp and 350 ftlbs or more would have been nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Gotta set yourself into the time period. The only ford "performance" came wrapped in a mustang.

Time for unpopular opinion: Chevy always blew the doors off Fords, same for suspension. Fords always been about get there eventually and be comfortable while doing it being of more concern to them than acceleration. Hell, that translates right to the end of panther production and even what the production Marauder was compared to the protype Marauder. And of course, ford spewed the prototype Marauder capabilities. No, ford had to be typical ford and got scared by a throaty exhaust, a suspension that was a bit firmer, and some horsepower closer to the edge, and of course, what their marketing department viewed as potential buyers.
          The Bud Lindeman car reviews is another good place to see the general ford design mentality vs general motors when it comes to things like suspensions and brakes. Ford did just enough, but never dared toe that edge with a true mass production car. Today, yeah, I think they have learned a bit of a lesson over time for general performance capabilities off the showroom floor.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            You ever think about uploading to Oldcarbrochures.com?
            No. But it reminds me, I have not stopped there in a long time and should see whats new.

Alex.

Comment

160 amp? Never seen that, only the 100.

Have to agree about the GM performance generally being better, except maybe in the braking department. The 90s LT1 powered cars were way faster than a P71 but the brakes were those same mediocre things they ran in the 80s, which were all but identical to the mediocre brakes Ford used at the time. Same period Vics had 4 wheel disc. Not massively better, but still some improvement. I do think GM's bubble car was uglier than Ford's bubble car though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting to see a 225/70HR15 WSW speed rated tire offered. I bet few ordered that option, maybe save for some unmarked cars with a full wheel cover option.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

225/70HR15 WSW - where do/did they even buy those? I need me some for the 90.

I find it interesting you could get an LX with the police package. Or an Fleet S model with a leather wrapped steering wheel.

There are also fleet broshures which may have some cool info on Fleet wagons since no police wagons existed. You know a fire department somewhere ordered one...
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I agree, GM IMO always smoked Ford performance wise and in the handling department. I also think the Roundy Caprice is less appealing than the aero Fords. I tend to think from an interior stand point the Ford was better. Especially in the '80's. The Caprice was some holdover from the 70's. Shitty interior, shitty 70's based dashboard and the exterior just didn't do it for me like Fords do. I really want to like the Caprice but can't. I mean, I did back when my buddy bought an '89 with rod knock, but that was before I jumped into my '85 LTD. Loved me that LTD. It later rekindled my love for Townies and well, had to have one.

I'd like to see actual road test data from both the aero vic and bubble caprice. Seems even now most cars have trouble stopping from 55 or 60 in under 135ft.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      I'd like to see actual road test data from both the aero vic and bubble caprice. Seems even now most cars have trouble stopping from 55 or 60 in under 135ft.
                      Motorweek tested the 1992 Grand Marquis and it did 60-0 in 110 feet. They also tested a 1991 Caprice and it did 60-0 in 124 feet. Both were equipped with ABS.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Both are under 130ft, nice. The Marquis is considerably better than the 'rice though.

Comment

90's GM ABS, what an abortion. Best abs was removed fuse abs. Having a wheel on a painted line, manhole cover would set off the abs and with that all your slowing power went away. Gotta give Ford the edge in quicklier dialing abs performance.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            They should have put some high flow heads on it with a long tube intake and SEFI. Box with 300hp and 350 ftlbs or more would have been nice.
                            ^^^This. Imagine a box with the 1st-gen lightning engine in it. Radical.

Far as chevy "always" blowing the doors off Ford, are we talking purely in the box-aero full-size cars or always? Because that's a pretty broad and potentially very false statement. Nevermind that none of these cars can blow the doors off a new Corolla, lol.

Comment

I've never had a Ford with ABS... I liked it in my 94 Grand Am. Without it, stopping power sucked in the snow or ice.

Actually Khead, I'm willing to bet they can blow the doors off a new Corolla... In the long haul that is, certainly not the 1/4 mile. Just yesterday I pitted my K1500 against one of those ugly ugly ugly Mercedes box SUV things and it blew me away off the line, big time. But, as we got up that on ramp, I was closing on him. Torque. New cars just have a bunch of gears and a crisp shifting auto so yeah, ER,ER,ERR,ERR,ERRR and they're a head but eventually that gearing will catch up to them. Like the four cylinder Impala I drove felt great up until after 40mph. Then it sucked like my Grand Am did.

Comment

Working...
                              X