The Fox in the Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fox in the Fox

Thought I would start a thread featuring my most recent acquisition, a 1990 Mustang LX hatchback.

I bought this car because my '65 Mustang coupe project simply needs too much work at this time for me to be able to actually finish and enjoy it. It is completely disassembled and on a rotisserie; its a great car, just totally APART! Between getting married this fall and the planning that goes along with that, as well as an absurd work-travel schedule that isn't letting up any time soon, I just don't have the time to finish my '65 right now. Additionally, its very difficult to continually throw money at a project like this, and still not even be close to being able to drive it. And... try explaining that to a woman; boxes and boxes showing up at the house, but the damn car is still a basket case...

So I made an executive decision to buy a car that I can enjoy right now. The stipulations were that I had to be able to get my money back out of it, and I had to be able to enjoy it. After some research and market watching, I deemed fox Mustangs to be fully depreciated, and currently on the market rise for collectors. If you didn't tune in, note that there were a handful of very clean low mileage STOCK fox body mustangs that sold for $25-30K+at January's Barret Jackson auction. In the past there have been several sub-1000 mile examples (plain LX 5.0 cars) that have sold for $70K+. I'm not shooting for the moon here because I'm a realist. But, I bought this for a very fair price, it is a well documented car, and I do not think I can possibly lose. I'd love to say I'll own it forever, but given my track record I can't do that; historically, I unload my prime examples when I think the market will deliver on what I'm looking for. In the meantime, my wonderful fiance and I have a somewhat retro weekend car that we can take to vineyards and breweries, or on weekend cruises. That's how I justified this to her, anyway.

I scoured eBay and Craigslist for 6 months looking for the perfect fox. I followed up on leads to cars that I knew about years ago, and must have looked at 15-20 cars in different states of modification and repair. I kind of wanted a race car to start, but then realized that my racing days are probably over. I really wanted a coupe, but really good examples are currently hovering at $15k+ (above my budget), and they are REALLY hard to find. I was adamant about having a real 5.0 5 speed car, which further complicated the search. Initially I passed on this car because when I first looked at it, I deemed it "too good" for my initial plans for modifications. But when you look at enough junk, eventually you really appreciate nice clean cars. I called back the owner, who had removed the ad from Craigslist, and was relieved to find out he still had it. I struck a deal to pick it up, and that was that.

The car:
    **1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback
    *5 speed
    *Vermillion red
    *Black tweed cloth
    *Power windows, locks, and mirrors
    *Factory sunroof
    *30,275 original documented miles
    *Original paint, glass, body panels

I am told that the black interior was very uncommon in 1990, but I am going to rely on the Marti report to shed some light on that. The car was sold new at Universal Ford in Glen Allen Virginia. I am the 5th owner. The original owner sold the car in 2003 to a gentleman in Westchester County, NY, who sold it to a gentleman in Thomaston, CT, who sold it to a gentleman in Monson, MA, who I bought the car from. I have all the original dealer paper work, less the window sticker .

When I bought the car, the modifications were as follows:

*Window tint; I have the original receipt from 1990
    *Aftermarket head unit and amp (done in the mid 2000s)
    *Pro 5.0 shifter
    *Ford Racing Floor Mats (carpeted)
    *SVE 70 mm throttle body
    *SVE fenderwell cold air intake
    *Eibach Pro Springs
    *Bilsten shocks and struts
    *FRPP 4.10 gears
    *Flowmaster cat back
    *Aftermarket (vintage) anti theft system

My plans are a complete return to stock condition, less the 4.10 gears, and the Pro 5.0 shifter base (using the stock handle knob and boot).
    *I've already installed the factory airbox and throttle body, removed the aftermarket audio garbage (need to repair some holes in the console ).

*I currently have the entire front suspension out of the car, getting urethane bushings and such, stock springs, etc. Calipers, drums, backing plates and control arms are at powdercoat, and I am replacing the rest of the brake hardware (strictly for cosmetics).

*I am having the factory wheels reconditioned (pictures show that the finish was not A1), and I have polished out the OEM center caps. I am going to fit the rear with a wider (255/60) M/T drag radial, while retaining 225 60 15 front tires to get the right look.

*I will fully remove the window tint, as well as the vintage anti theft device. I'm also going to replace the battery cables with stock style units, as someone hacked the positive end.

*I'll obviously do a full under car and engine wash, as well as a tuneup. Additionally, it has some lame paper exhaust manifold gaskets that have to go.

*Complete paint correction and exterior detail, and it should be ready for cruising.

Ultimately the pristine body (and very good paint), unmolested torque boxes and subframes, and clean pinch welds are what sold me on this car.

Initial pictures, which do not do the car justice. I'll post more of my progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1304112

Name:	1.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1304113

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1304114

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1304111
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

WERE are you located
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

"In the 860" is WERE he is located! LOL!
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Haven’t seen an untrashed Fox in years. Good find.

You just missed the red from the P72 and had to have another!

My 94 came from the same dealership. Small world.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice car Nate.

Been on the look out for a nice 86 GT vert for my dad. Even the ads that say "like new" and "pristine" are no where near the description. Its tough. Sellers are idiots asking top dollar for JUNK. Last car I looked at in Stony Point NY (had to cross the GW bridge and whitestone Bridge to check it out at tune of 30+ bucks) was not even worth the "new paint" the guy put on it.

I am sure you encountered this a lot in your search.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
            WERE are you located
            Central Connecticut.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
            Haven’t seen an untrashed Fox in years. Good find.

You just missed the red from the P72 and had to have another!

My 94 came from the same dealership. Small world.
            Very small world. I've actually reached out to the original owner of my car on Facebook. He lives in Dinwiddie, VA.

Your '94 is blue, correct? Thought I remember you posting about it quite some time ago. Am I imagining things, or were you also at one point on the fence over an Azure Blue Mach 1?

I seem to have a ribbon around my neck for red cars (white ones too). My '12 GT/CS was race red, the P72 was red, and my '65 coupe is destined to be red, unless I break my cardinal rule and go with black.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Nice car Nate.

Been on the look out for a nice 86 GT vert for my dad. Even the ads that say "like new" and "pristine" are no where near the description. Its tough. Sellers are idiots asking top dollar for JUNK. Last car I looked at in Stony Point NY (had to cross the GW bridge and whitestone Bridge to check it out at tune of 30+ bucks) was not even worth the "new paint" the guy put on it.

I am sure you encountered this a lot in your search.
            There is no shortage of trash out there, as you know. Fortunately for you and your pop, there seem to be more decent/ good convertibles than hatchbacks and coupes (at least with the later "aero" cars). But, with as flimsy as the chassis tended to be, finding one that isn't whipped will still be a chore. I had a '92 LX 5.0 5 spd convertible a couple years back, and it was a pretty stock 115K mile car. The chassis felt about as solid as a wet noodle.

Does your Dad have a thing for the 4 eye cars? I seem to remember him having a black mid 80s hatch?

Its very true that the words "mint", and pristine" have different meanings to the typical Fox owner.
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yes sir on the blue and the Mach. Which are also starting to bottom out on prices. I wish in I could convince the wife...

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                Central Connecticut.

Very small world. I've actually reached out to the original owner of my car on Facebook. He lives in Dinwiddie, VA.

Your '94 is blue, correct? Thought I remember you posting about it quite some time ago. Am I imagining things, or were you also at one point on the fence over an Azure Blue Mach 1?

I seem to have a ribbon around my neck for red cars (white ones too). My '12 GT/CS was race red, the P72 was red, and my '65 coupe is destined to be red, unless I break my cardinal rule and go with black.

There is no shortage of trash out there, as you know. Fortunately for you and your pop, there seem to be more decent/ good convertibles than hatchbacks and coupes (at least with the later "aero" cars). But, with as flimsy as the chassis tended to be, finding one that isn't whipped will still be a chore. I had a '92 LX 5.0 5 spd convertible a couple years back, and it was a pretty stock 115K mile car. The chassis felt about as solid as a wet noodle.

Does your Dad have a thing for the 4 eye cars? I seem to remember him having a black mid 80s hatch?

Its very true that the words "mint", and pristine" have different meanings to the typical Fox owner.
                When dad purchased his 1985 new back in 1985 he really wanted a convertible. He still has his 85 to this day. I am looking to get him a nice vert but with efi.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I have a regular customer that has a '86 notch. Body is banged up, but solid. It was someone's abandoned race car project. He got it with no engine for next to no money. He had an abandoned wrecked but running 5.0 F150 in the yard (tow truck driver), and a handful of 5.0 go-fast parts from a previous project. So he pulled the rolling chassis into the shop around 5pm one day, the wrecked F150, and had a mildly warmed up SEFI Mustang running and driving by the next morning. He's since had the engine in and out at least 3x that I know of, its currently carb'd with high flow heads/intake/cam and he's working on a turbo setup for it. Car still looks like shit, but its gonna be stupid quick when he's done.

I have a soft spot for Fox body Mustangs. My Dad had one, a silver fastback 4-eye 4cyl car. We had a 302 longblock in the garage forever that was supposed to go in it, but he had to sell it when I was young since it wasn't practical for his work commute and the time/money wasn't there at the time for the engine swap. He sold it to a co-worker who's kid wrecked it several times, including rolling it once, but it just would not die.
                  -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                  1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                  1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Beautiful!!!

So you replaced one project with another? LOL Can't blame ya though. My Mom reminds me pretty much every day that it would be nice to get in her car again. *hint hint*

~Jacob~

Comment

Not sure how many Fox fans are out there, but I said I'd update the thread with some pictures, so...

I'm chipping away at my list here, little by little. Got the suspension put back together about a month ago, and ordered a refinished set of 10 hole wheels, and a new set of rubber (Coopers fro the front, Nitto NT555Rs for the rear). There aren't really any *good* tire choices available in 15s anymore, unfortunately. A lot of folks hate "10 hole" or "phone dial" wheels; I am indifferent, but I like how they look with a little bit fatter tire on the rear. And, because stock is king here, it was really the best choice.

I insured and registered the car last week, and took it for a little spin. Everything seems fine, save for the speedometer being off a little bit (4.10s), but thats a project for next year (trans will come out for detailing, and the correct drive gear). I had the original radio working, but something must have happened because it was not when I turned it on. I have to remove the console to repair a couple small screw holes at some point, so I'll look into that then.

I did a complete tune up, so its really just some detail work until I am willing to put my stamp of approval on it. Tint has to come off, paint needs some minor correction, etc. Overall I like it; I am glad to have a weekend car again!

Never mind the shitty batter cables in the last picture, I installed an OEM set after the picture was taken .

Rear drums, post powdercoat:

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1283259

Front, post powdercoat:

Name:	6.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1283260

This was taken Saturday morning, after I mounted the "new" wheels:

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	1283261

Engine after a preliminary detail:

Name:	14.jpg
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1283262

Comment

Looks good. The only wheels on these I truly dislike are those 90s tri-star ones. Looks like a rejected steering wheel design that someone had cast in aluminum.

Understand limited 15" choices. I needed a set of something for my Continental. I wasn't after performance tires but the general range of options just isn't impressive if you don't want truck tires or really horrible ones.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

10 holes look great. Much better than the GT turbines of the same era.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Awesome looking Nate. I am a fan of ten holes.
                            ~David~

Comment

I really like the ten-hole wheels. I've always wondered if there is enough material in them to have a set re-drilled to a 5x4.5" pattern for a stealth 5-lug conversion. A lot of SN-95 cars besides Cobras were equipped with 15" wheels. I'm all but certain the GTs had the same brake setup as a V6.

I want to get my hands on a '79-'86 coupe someday to put away for a future project.
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
                              X