The Fox in the Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
    I really like the ten-hole wheels. I've always wondered if there is enough material in them to have a set re-drilled to a 5x4.5" pattern for a stealth 5-lug conversion.
    There is, and I have seen this done. I've also seen 10 holes cut down into narrow front runner style wheels.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

My preference us the GT turbine wheel, they are lighter & IMHO much nicer looking. They are a bear to keep clean though.

I have a pair that was cut down to 4". You can't tell from the side, but it is quite obvious from the front. Someday I'd like to have a set widened to 10" for the rear.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Love them foxes and really need another one. Diggin' the phone dials too. Took mine off my first mustang when the motor blew and put them on the zephyr wagon, as well as lowering springs. That was such a fun car.

Comment

Beautiful car. Foxes are hard to come by in my area.

Comment

Not really much to update on this thing, but there was a slight incident resulting in some body damage.

A friend backed his little landscape trailer into my driveway and hit the nose cone down low on the passenger's side. Nothing really to write home about, but it did split the nose cone. I have a very reputable local guy who is going to fix it right, as well as replicate the black pinstripe on the nose cone. I was angry, but these things happen. I am thinking the car will be fixed early fall as it is going to be a part of my wedding pictures .

I also took the interior all apart and steam cleaned everything. The interior is immaculate, and black, although the extractor water was pretty filthy afterwards. I also repaired the holes in the center console around the radio where someone had installed the aftermarket head unit, and figured out why the factory radio wasn't working; I simply had the wrong set of plugs plugged into the radio. Factory amp cars had two sets :S.

I have plans to do a really nice paint correction, but am planning on waiting until after the paint repair is done. Until then, I have some underhood clean up to take car of.

I have gone back and forth with the idea of stripping the undercoat off the car (as the finish underneath is perfect), and think I finally decided I am going to do it this winter (whilst the transmission is out for speedo gears). I think that is the final step in the process to make this a really nice survivor car.
            **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
            **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Going to be doing some work on this over the winter. I drove it very little this year (350 miles?), partly because I bought a Harley Davidson, which was easier to get out of the garage for cruising. First world problems.

At any rate, I started stripping the undercoat off the undercarriage back in the summer. It is very toilsome, but a lot of rags, lighter fluid, and transmission oil (longer term) will do the trick. I did the front k member, and front wheelhouses. I removed the fender liners and conditioned them, as well. The results are excellent, as the car looks absolutely showroom under the coating. I have noticed that the fox's fetching the most money are the ones that are totally immaculate underneath. This is my goal, within reason.

Winter projects will involve removing the exhaust and transmission to change the speedometer gears to correct for 4.10s, and access the tunnel to remove undercoat. I have new header gaskets to replace the shitty paper ones someone installed. Once that is complete, I will finish stripping the undercoat, and do any minor detailing required to the chassis.

I need to cut a half coil off the front springs as even after settling I still have a little too much positive camber, even with the plates adjusted.

Some powder coating of some engine bracketry, and I'll be ready to have the nose cone repaired in the spring, and correct the paint.

These cars are really starting to take off in value, so I need to decide if I am going to keep it or pedal it.

Comment

Decided to keep the Fox. I have always had a soft spot for these cars, but leaving it stock just has not done it for me.

Over the winter I was stripping the undercoat off the floor pans and really got the urge to make some changes. I scooped up a NIB set of 1.625" primary coated BBK longtubes, and matching catless H on eBay, and installed them. I took the cvar for the "first drive" of the season and it blew out the water pump gasket between the pump and timing cover . Just before that happened though, I have to save that for a car with minimal exhaust work and 4.10s, it is pretty fun to drive.

I tore front of the engine down, and thats when scope creep happened.

The short story is, it has gotten the following modifications, and should be up and running soon:

*3G 130 amp alternator upgrade, and March bracketry
                *Powder-coated OEM valve covers (graphite)
                *Explorer intake (I scored it for $50); painted to match the VCs, because it outgassed during powder-coat; the lower is silver, and I restored the OEM intake plate
                -I know there will be little different between the explorer and factory intake with the stock TB and EGR spacer
                *Underdrive pulleys
                *Complete detailing of all engine hardware; fuel rails, injectors, etc
                *All bracketry powder-coated
                *All accessory engine hardware zinc plated
                *Console delete

I need to get it back together, but in working on the car, I've realized how much I miss car projects, and the following parts have also been ordered...

*31 spline trac lok (bought NIB for $140)
                *31 spline 4 lug axles (I was going to use, but am going to sell these)
                *31 spline Moser 5 lug axles
                *Maximum Motorsports full length subframe connectors
                *BMR upper and lower torque box reinforcements
                *BMR upper and lower heim end control arms
                *BMR spherical axle housing "bushings"
                *FRPP gear install kit (going to re-use the 4.10s) with outer axle bearings and seals

The rear will be coming out this fall, and I will be stripping the remaining undercoat and installing all the chassis upgrades.

Plan is to make some passes in the spring and try to get into the 12s with the engine "as is". I am planning on upgrading the radiator and adding electric fans, which may help me to that end. It may be a tall order, but I would be happy with a 13.0X.

I had intended on doing a pushrod build, but I have done the math, and I can do a comprehensive Coyote swap for only a few thousand more, and I know it will run harder that way. So... stay tuned.

Comment

Comment

You'd be surprised. I put what amounts to a ported stock lower intake on an otherwise dead stock HO and it really flattened out the torque curve. The under-2500 rpm performance that usually sucks really improved. I was not expecting anything, honestly it went on because the original intake was dirty and that one was not. It was off to replace the intake gaskets. The Explorer intake should flow similar to what I put on. Mostly I think its about evening out the airflow cylinder to cylinder. Stock, the outer corners, especially #5, flow considerably worse than the center ones do. The GT40 style are way better about it than the original type.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Last time I posted in here was "pre-divorce". I ended up liquidating all of my aftermarket parts for this car, and actually sold the car last Thursday. I did well on it, and have no regrets. I didn't have to sell it, but...

It turns out that life changes can sometimes change the way you think about things. No sense in having a garage full of stuff I don't use; the extra funds are being put away for a sunny day.

Comment

Seasons change man. Been there. I personally grew a huge amount after cutting away the weight holding me back. I even lost 20 lbs. after I did it.
                        It's sometimes tough to 'see' it until you're away from it.
                        Be well...
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                        X