Door locks busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door locks busted

91 MGM, Feels like the key wont turn to the right. It locks up at the 12::0-1 position. I took the door apart and it seems the lower end of the metal bar that runs down got disconnected somehow. You can see it hanging in one of the pics. Does anyone know were its supposed to hook back u?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

I'd bet money its the lock actuator frozen up. Pull it out and see if the key doesn't work again. The rod that sticks down is supposed to look like that. It allows the interior and the lock actuator to go without moving the key tumbler in the door. That rod will slide up or down until it pulls or pushes on the lock lever depending which way you rotate it.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I'd bet money its the lock actuator frozen up. Pull it out and see if the key doesn't work again. The rod that sticks down is supposed to look like that. It allows the interior and the lock actuator to go without moving the key tumbler in the door. That rod will slide up or down until it pulls or pushes on the lock lever depending which way you rotate it.
        Ahhhh thank you Gadget! I think I understand how it works now. Any tips on removing the actuator?

Comment

temporarily until you get the replacement part... screwdriver between the white bracket and black rubber center to help pry it downward. Once one side is out, the other is easy enough to just yank on. Once it's free of the white bracket, angle out to release the rod. The rod is a step shape (S).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	1282985
          Last edited by sly; 02-05-2018, 11:42 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

usually I drill the rivet out and remove it that way. Hands bleed a lot less doing that.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep, seized actuator. Went through this on the current car and took me a while to figure it out. 2 new actuators and it's all dialed in. Wish i'd taken gadget's advice and drilled out the rivet but i didn't have a rivet gun at the time so i re-used the stupid plastic brackets, and cut the shit out of my hands/arms.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                usually I drill the rivet out and remove it that way. Hands bleed a lot less doing that.
                I usually do it the the hard way as Sly described, but I can tell you that gadget is 100% accurate on that assessment.
                I don't think I have bothered to fix lock actuators on any of my cars for over a decade now, but if I do I will be doing it the easy way. My hands aren't as tough as they used to be before office job life, so more prone to bleed now doing it the hard way.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ok thanks fellas. Ill get it ordered. What are the bushings that go bad that keeps the window from shaking after you slam the door? I think I should do those while the panel is off.

Comment

More than one way to skin a cat..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I think thats the guide bushing. If you run the window up you'll see the bracket at the bottom of the glass. About the middle of that piece is a square hole where it goes around the guide rod that runs from the bottom of the door up to near the top. There is supposed to be a plastic piece in that hole, if it falls apart the glass rattles around. Have to pull the guide rod out to change that, but basically once you pull the bolts and lower the window you can fish that out pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by MercurySailor View Post
                        More than one way to skin a cat..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        Because Roadkill! I love it.

Comment

I borrowed the bigass rivet gun last time I needed one. I may buy one. I bought a pack of the proper rivets. Not a job I do often but now being the owner of 3 vehicles with a total of 10 doors that use those things I probably should be able to change them without borrowing stuff.

Comment

Nice lock Sailor! LOL

Gadget, Here's the bushings I found online. Will one of these work? One is square other is rectangle. Guess I could check when I get home...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/door-win...1993/p/HW1767/
                            https://www.cjponyparts.com/door-win...1993/p/HW1766/

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...g-Installation

Killer thread alert!

Comment

Working...
                              X