Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission lines blew off at the transmission fitting on my '87' LTD Crown Vic as I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission lines blew off at the transmission fitting on my '87' LTD Crown Vic as I

Thanks

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

May want to put a more thorough description in your post rather than trying to mash it all into the title. I know others have had this problem and will chime in, but detail is key.

Comment

Is there a good substitute for the 'quick disconnect' fittings on the Transmission.Such as 5/16 brake lines?
      Thanks

Comment

Not really. The only thing you can do with them would be to flare the lines, and use pipe to flare adapters in the radiator. Later cars did exactly that, but I won't swear there is enough material on the stock lines to flare due to the bends right at the end.

Honestly I'd replace the quick connects and be done with it. Don't install them cold or the plastic shatters. Had that happen when I replaced the ones on the Continental, ended up fishing the plastic parts out of the crusty originals to repair my new fittings. Maybe someone makes better quality ones but the plastic on the Dorman ones seems to be much harder and more brittle than the original parts used.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Not really. The only thing you can do with them would be to flare the lines, and use pipe to flare adapters in the radiator. Later cars did exactly that, but I won't swear there is enough material on the stock lines to flare due to the bends right at the end.

Honestly I'd replace the quick connects and be done with it. Don't install them cold or the plastic shatters. Had that happen when I replaced the ones on the Continental, ended up fishing the plastic parts out of the crusty originals to repair my new fittings. Maybe someone makes better quality ones but the plastic on the Dorman ones seems to be much harder and more brittle than the original parts used.
          Thanks.I will look into that.Do you know of a place that sells the better quality quick connects?

Comment

unfortunately I do not but I'd love to know of one. All the parts stores ever seem to have are the Dorman ones.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X