Weatherstrip Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weatherstrip Replacement

I am going to attempt to change the drivers door weatherstrip on the '86 CV. Any tips or tricks to doing this?

I have yet to visit the junkyard to see what it looks after peeling it off the door frame/body. I am thinking of cleaning it up real good and POR15 the metal that the weatherstrip attaches to. Then rtv it and stick on the new weatherstrip. Last time I did something like this, was on my Malibu when I replaced the trunk strip. I think I just peeled off the old stuff, applied rtv, and stuck the new weatherstrip on the metal flange. Don't remember having any issues. That was 21 years ago and I have learned a thing since then. I got the replacement weather strip from Steele Rubber Company. I will post part numbers tomorrow.

Don't really need any adhesive for that, it should clip on solidly enough to stay. If it just will not, they do make weatherstrip adhesive for exactly this task. Looks like yellow snot and smells not so awesome but it works great. Trunk seal wants the glue though. It tends to stick to the trunk lid a bit and move out of position without some help.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 3m Black Weatherseal adhesive is pure evil (or greatness depending on your view) as after it cures... Nothing is coming loose without severe persuasion. The yellow stuff doesn't hold near as well. That's not really saying much as the yellow stuff will hold fine, but may pull off if the seals have shrunk any, like on my 2003 Expedition that someone had tried using the yellow stuff and the seals pulled back off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Id personally remove all of the trim surrounding the area as the weatherstripping does get tucked underneath it. At the very least loosen the a and b pillar trims.

As was mentioned above no adhesive should be necessary for a like OEM replacement as it sorta stick well onto the seam you push the weatherstripping onto.

Put the seam some where along the bottom. Can join the seam area with some black goo if you want too. Make sure to allow that to cure before closing the door.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Okay; I will probably use the 3M rtv and let it cure. I bought a couple tarps to keep the CV dryish with the door(s) popped open. Hopefully the creatures will stay out.

As promised, here are the part numbers for the weather stripping I got from Steele Rubber Products....

70-3456-99 door strip 25ft roll

82-0217-84 trunk strip

Comment

no need to keep the doors open while stuff cures since the curing agents will be between the weatherstrip and the metal it's mounted to. The part that seals the weather out should be clean of goop.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              The yellow stuff doesn't hold near as well.
              which is why I used it. There is a possibility of removal. The black is pretty much there forever.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                which is why I used it. There is a possibility of removal. The black is pretty much there forever.
                True enough. If I didn't have to have it REALLY hold tight, I would have gone for the yellow stuff. The tailgate glass seal is about 3 inches small. Not sure if it was replaced with one too small or it shrunk... but it took some work to get it to stay put enough to seal out the rain.

Comment

may have shrunk. I used it on the trunk seals in the Mark VII and the Towncar. The seals were not in bad shape but they didn't sit on the body as tight as they should and the seal wanted to stick to the trunk lid just enough to cause it to pop off and land out of position any time I opened it.

Comment

Let us know how it goes Jacob. Also a side profile picture comparing the two could be great.

Did you measure the "bulb" size before ordering? I see they (steel rubber company) offers a variety of sizes.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

No I didn't. I went with what looked closest to what I had (I know, not the correct method). Also, I got the part# a year ago based off a recommendation; can't remember who told me about Steele Rubber Products.

Comment

with all the oddball cars Steele makes kits for i cant believe the dont make one for boxes
                        1989 crown Vic daily driver 165k and counting!
                        1987 MGM 49xxx mi awaiting light resto

Comment

How many doors does a 25' strip cover? It's $96.70 on Amazon plus $10.00 shipping. A little pricey. My car definitely needs new weatherstrip everywhere, though.
                          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Djtb78 View Post
                            with all the oddball cars Steele makes kits for i cant believe the dont make one for boxes
                            contact them and see if they will. If they won't, others probably will. I'm having a set of dew wipes done through these people

http://stores.ebay.com/Class-Tech-Cars

He's a distributor for another company who's name escapes me right now but basically I contacted them about what I needed and sent the original parts out to be copied. Seems thats how a lot of these things work, you send a sample, they copy it and add it to the catalog and usually give you a free set as thanks.

**edit**

These people actually make the stuff

http://www.repops.com/index.cfm
                            Last edited by gadget73; 02-16-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X