Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

late model limo rear brakes into non-Limo of any vintage ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

late model limo rear brakes into non-Limo of any vintage ?

I have been thinking about this and browsing forums for quite some time but not finding what I was looking for.

Just for someplace to start I was looking at 08 stuff. The limo rotors are bigger and heavier then the regular rotors. The center hole and bolt pattern is the same. Calipers are different. So I guess the next question is could the caliper brackets be swapped over from a limo housing to regular panther housing. We know the regular ones are inter changeable right up to 11.

Backing plate would be important for the Ebrake mounting.

Wheel size would probably come into play. All my stuff now is 17" or 18" Guessing that would be sufficient as typical TC 17" rims likely work. 16" might be fine, probably are, just don't know. The rotor is about 1 &1/2" wider.
    Last edited by jaywish; 02-08-2018, 06:40 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Backing plate interchangeability will likely be dependent on axle tube diameter. In the absence of physical limo axle to measure up, the next best thing would be to compare wheel bearings size - if the limo takes larger bearings that means it's got larger housing as well, so the bolt pattern on the backing plates will likely be larger than the non-limo stuff.

At the same rate for all you know the backing plate on the limo axle could very well be the same as that of the non-limo one, and the difference in rotor size is only accounted for by the dimensions of the calipers. As an example of this, I present Superduty F-series and E-series axles - vans got the D60 for SRW and D70HD for DRW, trucks got Sterling for SRW and D80 for DRW applications, all different axles in many ways but you can switch brake calipers and their bridges between all of them, the monster bracket bolted onto the axle housing that also holds the parking brake assemblies allows it very easy. Hell you can even switch between different complete parking brakes or individual parts depending on what suits your fancy (for example most E-series have stainless actuators, many trucks do not).
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I saw someone somewhere on some forum posted an axle flange chart but danged if I can find it.

The e brake shoes are different regular vs Limo
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Larger shoes make sense - heavier vehicle needs bigger parking brake to make it stay put, especially with a drum-in-hat parking brake design. It's an issue I have actually, to the point where I think I'll have a custom adapter housing fabbed to allow use of driveline brake.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Interesting that this is what's listed for rear calipers and pads interchange with limos. Parking brake shoes and hardware also interchanges.

1997-2002 FORD EXPEDITION
          1997-2003 FORD F-150
          2004 FORD F-150 HERITAGE
          1997-1999 FORD F-250
          2002 LINCOLN BLACKWOOD
          1998-2002 LINCOLN NAVIGATOR
          2005-2011 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

This might actually be a good way to get big brakes for the rear on the cheap.

One thing to note though is that limo rear rotors aren't vented. The regular ones are. So there is a dilemma. Do you go with bigger solid rotors that aren't vented or stay with smaller vented rotors? Do the rear brakes heat up fast enough to require better cooling provided with vented rotors?

I checked backing plates and they are different for limo vs regular and don't appear to interchange with truck models. I think I will take a trip to the wreckers on the weekend and mess around to see what fits.
          Last edited by Mr Bean; 02-08-2018, 09:21 PM.

Comment

If the limo bracket does not match up to the regular flange perhaps an adapter bracket would do the trick. Like Zacks bracket for instance. Caliper orientation does not matter much. The regular late model brackets on a 90 housing yielded calipers in the 12:00 O'clock position. Just had to remove them and tip the bleeder up to bleed.
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I checked the brackets. They should bolt up to the flange. Looks like Navigator brackets can also be used, just have to drill a hole for the abs sensor.

Comment

Verrrry Interesting.

I don't remember does the backing plate bolt to housing or bracket. More to the point does it look like it also might fit?
                Last edited by jaywish; 02-09-2018, 11:14 PM.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Here is a diagram of all the parts.

https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ar-brakes-scat

Comment

Thanks. Wonder why the brake pedal assembly is different for the limo option. The front brakes are the same on all versions.
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                    X