351w Box Merc front springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351w Box Merc front springs

looking at the tru-coil 12x5.5 925# springs. would the 1000# be a better option with the added engine weight?

i want everything to sit even when paired with the 200# rears
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

i RUN THE 1000 lb ones on creamy with its 302. One thing I found is fuel economy picks up just a bit if the front is around 1 to 1 1/2 inches lower than the rear. Figured at the time front of the 87 was around 2500# rear about 1500#. then using math based on comparison of stock spring rates to the stock car ones figured hight
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

well i figured the added weight of the old 351 with a 5 spd would be similar albeit slightly heavier than a 302 with an aod. so if 1000s would be a better option up front, im wondering if 225# for the rear would be better because i intend to have some stereo equipment in the trunk. im thinking of switching to actual shocks for the rear when i do the coils. right now i have stock worn TF out coils and monroe air shocks out back. the air is nice for the added trunk weight and would also enable me to put the hitch on it that i want, but im wondering if the KYBs on all 4 corners would be better for handling or if i should just do KYB up front and keep the air in the back.

1000 front
      225 rear

all bushings are getting done with poly, and also adding PI front and rear swaybars.
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

WITH THE HEAver rate springs would look into some of the street stock shocks. I used the AFCO 1020s up front (not shore about that p/n). the OEM style shocks are not valved to control springs that heavy.

Comment

think i should go afco instead of kyb gas a just or g2?

Comment

i MIGHT HAVE used 12.5 inch 1000 lb springs. Should be some info on it in here some were. But typ hd shocks as stated are not valved for stronger springs. shocks just dampen the compression and rebound of the spring. The more energy the spring has the stiffer the shock needs to be.
            One of he reasons I went with double adjust able QA1 shocks. Another thing after installing the new springs set the vehicle on the ground and measure the mounting distance between shock mounting points then find a shock that is at half travel at installed height.

Comment

Working...
            X