New fuel sender floats!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fuel sender floats!

I'll let the pictures more or less speak for themselves...

Click image for larger version

Name:	omixfloat-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1304134 Click image for larger version

Name:	omixfloat-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1304135

This is Omix-ADA part 17729.01, intended for various Jeep CJ models. It is a perfect fit in our box Panther sending units (for cars with separate fuel pump hangers and fuel gauge senders - so no 90-91 and possibly no 89 Lincoln because they changed the float shape). They come one per package, I bought a few though. "Fleet" maintenance dictates buying in bulk...

I have not tried putting this in a car yet, but I see no reason to suspect it won't work as intended, assuming the sending unit otherwise works. These are quite inexpensive from a variety of places (I went with RockAuto, in retrospect this was far from the best choice for this specific item due to shipping), beating out the brass ones from what I've found. No word on longevity but the manufacturer seems to stand behind them for 5 years.

If you currently have a sunk float, this may be an option worth looking at if you don't want to try resoldering your brass one or if it broke in another way. Since they're new production parts, they should be completely safe with modern fuel composition.
    Last edited by kishy; 02-11-2018, 01:50 AM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Sure looks identical.

This is what ailed mine. Did not know of this option years back so an entire new fuel level sending unit was purchased. Looks like a great alternative.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Exactly my thoughts. Electrically, the senders are prone to forming "dead zones", but otherwise will indicate the majority of their range just fine...but if the float sinks, you're stuck on empty until a new float goes in. I have two that seem to have sunken floats.

The brass floats fail in one of two ways that I know of: they leak at the solder joints or equalization hole (the final soldered spot), or the brass structurally fails (seems to happen where the arm squeezes the brass). In the first case, you can de-solder them, dry them out, then re-solder them. In the second case, it's toast.

You can buy new brass floats, I think Scott Drake makes them and they're under 10 bucks from some vendors, so it's not a bad choice either. But it seems to me that an ethanol-friendly plastic float has less potential for issues, since it isn't two halves soldered together.

Current driver: wagon
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Plastic huh. Interesting, but I'd kinda be inclined on sticking with the brass one just not really trusting of plastic and fuel with any kind of ethanol. They'd probably last a good deal of time though. And a good alternative should they stop making the brass ones.

For what it's worth though, 89 used the same Sending unit. And the 90+ utilized some kind of plastic float. It looked more like a bike pedal though. Too be honest I've never heard of one of those failing. But I have seen the sending units themselves break a wire off.
        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 02-11-2018, 02:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
          Plastic huh. Interesting, but I'd kinda be inclined on sticking with the brass one just not really trusting of plastic and fuel with any kind of ethanol. They'd probably last a good deal of time though. And a good alternative should they stop making the brass ones.

For what it's worth though, 89 used the same Sending unit. And the 90+ utilized some kind of plastic float. It looked more like a bike pedal though. Too be honest I've never heard of one of those failing. But I have seen the sending units themselves break a wire off.
          Don't some newer vehicles have plastic fuel thanks? I would thinks the plastic would be of the same composition and not be eaten by the fuel (hopefully).

For the '89 TC, at least with analog dash, kishy and I have looked into this. It does use a sending unit like '90-'91 wagons rather than the old box unit. The '89 TC units I have seen have the flat bike pedal like float. Just ask Ivan about the aero TC digidash he installed in an '89 TC (Hearsesrock427).
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Its all a matter of what the material is. The tank in my S10 is indeed plastic and its original.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice find on the float.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
              X