16" tire suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16" tire suggestions?

anybody have thoughts on a 16" tire? i see 15 and 17 alot. but i really dont want to buy new rims, even cheap ones. and 16s seem to be a bit pricey in some sizes.

current rims are 16x7 0 offset. and im currently considering 245 60 16 on all 4 corners
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

245 /60 might be a bit tall but perhaps that is what you are after.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I have 235/60/16's on my HPP wheels which I believe are 7inch wide. Stock is 225 iirc. I dont know if it is recommended to stretch 245's onto a 7inch wheel though its been done many times before. If my wheels were wider than 7" I would have gone with wider tires....

I like the size choice I made considering the wheels I had:

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You can see how tall David's tires are with only a 235/60. How wide as well.

225/60was the stock "Sport/HPP" size which actually works fairly well.

245 is pretty wide. If you are after that much extra width you could consider 245/55 or even possibly 245/50.

Maybe you have a numerically high rear ratio and want tall tires to bring it back down?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          I have 235/60/16's on my HPP wheels which I believe are 7inch wide. Stock is 225 iirc. I dont know if it is recommended to stretch 245's onto a 7inch wheel though its been done many times before. If my wheels were wider than 7" I would have gone with wider tires....

I like the size choice I made considering the wheels I had:
          nice stance you have, 235 may be what i do. what do you have for suspesion?
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

im liking the 235s. i think i will go with those. found some cooper tires i like for the price. any brand suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
              nice stance you have, 235 may be what i do. what do you have for suspesion?

Thanks

Springs are speedway 925 fronts and 225 rears.

I am running 1.25" hubcentric wheel spacers in the rear to widen its stance.

You can always click on "The Brown Blob" within my signature to find out all about my setup.

I dont put enough miles on any of my vehicles to say whats good. lol

The ones I have on those HPPS are yokohama avid envigors. I wanted some high performance all seasons as the HPPs are what I run during the winter months when its cooler out.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The cooper cs5's Ultra's are nice.

Goodyear has a good election in that size.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

I have Pirelli P7 on my 93 with the HPPs... wet asphalt is my only issue. All other surfaces are very grippy.

Michelin Defenders on the wife's 2000 (stock 16" steelies). No complaints there except for the wet asphalt (oil rising to the top and all that).

The Pirellis corner much better though. stock size on both: 225/60R16

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Thanks

Springs are speedway 925 fronts and 225 rears.

I am running 1.25" hubcentric wheel spacers in the rear to widen its stance.

You can always click on "The Brown Blob" within my signature to find out all about my setup.

I dont put enough miles on any of my vehicles to say whats good. lol

The ones I have on those HPPS are yokohama avid envigors. I wanted some high performance all seasons as the HPPs are what I run during the winter months when its cooler out.
                    youre welcome! ive taking several specs and styling cues from your ride in the past. i too will have speedways going in. 1000 up front and 200 rear with PI swaybars. im considering spacers as well, i have a set of 1.25" but with the 92-97 axle not sure if ill use them.

i got my eye on some of the cooper CS5's but just the GTs not the ultras. probably check out my local tire nazi see if hes got any cheap stuff.
                    Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 02-12-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X