PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting tune up and starter situation

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Well both my '90s had whatever-the-fuck you call the thingie that mounts on the inner fender. Notably, the starters sound much different. My first car had what i would call the "traditional"-sounding period Ford starter, while my new one has what sounds like the high-torque later-model one. Not sure why this is but whatever, it runs. I do have a spare replacement Motorcraft starter relay/solenoid dealie. Woo!
    LoL.

Yeah I like my shit mounted on my fender. Tap-tap-taparoo if it welds itself closed circuit. Easier on my knees I suppose. I like the way the old starters sound anyway. My old man once told me, "You can tell this thing is old by the way it sounds firing up. Takes me back." Yep, that's the idea
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The relay remained on the fender even with the later style starter. Since it carries little load though they almost never go bad. I've got one of each of the starters, the Towncar runs the old fat body starter, the Mark VII run the later permanant magnet gear reducer, the Conti runs the early gear reducer with the field windings. They all sound different but the Towncar sounds oldest.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thank you Sly.
    I assume it will not try to start on its own without being prompted. Never know about the Chinese born gremlins though.

I like cars and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The relay remained on the fender even with the later style starter. Since it carries little load though they almost never go bad. I've got one of each of the starters, the Towncar runs the old fat body starter, the Mark VII run the later permanant magnet gear reducer, the Conti runs the early gear reducer with the field windings. They all sound different but the Towncar sounds oldest.
    Personally, I quite enjoy the sound of the old school starters. Despite this, my 83 and 84 have both received PMGR units, the Ranger is going to eventually, and at the first sign of trouble, so will the wagon.

You get more crank per whatever unit of energy with the PMGR. A marginal battery will crank and crank and crank a PMGR, where the same battery would fall flat on its face trying to crank the direct drive. Since I often work with a marginal battery I appreciate the fact that stuff starts.

RE: kill switch, Sly's right on the money. The starter relay kind of "is" the kill switch for the starter...it fails, you put a new one on, call it done. A battery disconnect switch would do what you're seeking, with the added bonus (with a PMGR starter only...) that you could replace starters without disconnecting the battery. I once was determined to keep my radio presets while changing a starter, and almost welded the battery cable to the frame in the process. That is when I learned how the PMGR setup works, there's a big fat constant hot wire down to the starter.

83 GM 2dr | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 (Pre-Op) | 85 CS | 85 Ranger | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards thread/Flickr

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

If I remember correctley I have seen high resistance and low voltage cause this type of issue with the starter solenoid if you have not done so allready make sure all your connections are good and the battery is fully charged and in good shape. Bad connections at any point from the battery, solenoid or starter even bad grounds will raise the amps and weld the contacts.

Aftermarket parts are fine, bad connections not so much. Adding a kill switch will just add more connections and more potental for problems.
    Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 02-24-2018 at 03:44 AM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kishy View Post
    Personally, I quite enjoy the sound of the old school starters. Despite this, my 83 and 84 have both received PMGR units, the Ranger is going to eventually, and at the first sign of trouble, so will the wagon.

I have no special feelings either way about it, but when the 86 needs a starter it will probably get updated. I'm not replacing a working starter though. Its not impossible that I'll be a cheapass and rebuild the one on there though. I put that st like 3 days before the first Scottfest. 2005 I wanna say that was?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12