No announcement yet.

Interesting tune up and starter situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

or a 1N5408 if you want something that looks more impressive and comes with fatter leads, but I doubt its needed.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is there a simple kill switch to put on that would prevent something happening like this again?
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Well both my '90s had whatever-the-fuck you call the thingie that mounts on the inner fender. Notably, the starters sound much different. My first car had what i would call the "traditional"-sounding period Ford starter, while my new one has what sounds like the high-torque later-model one. Not sure why this is but whatever, it runs. I do have a spare replacement Motorcraft starter relay/solenoid dealie. Woo!

Comment

Like Tiggie mentioned, some of the '90s early in the model year had the old style starter. I would guess that your first '90 was built earlier in the model year than your second.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
            Is there a simple kill switch to put on that would prevent something happening like this again?
            Other than putting a battery disconnect on the starter side of the relay to manually cut it off if it welds itself shut, I can't think of anything to prevent a part from wearing out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Well both my '90s had whatever-the-fuck you call the thingie that mounts on the inner fender. Notably, the starters sound much different. My first car had what i would call the "traditional"-sounding period Ford starter, while my new one has what sounds like the high-torque later-model one. Not sure why this is but whatever, it runs. I do have a spare replacement Motorcraft starter relay/solenoid dealie. Woo!
              LoL.

Yeah I like my shit mounted on my fender. Tap-tap-taparoo if it welds itself closed circuit. Easier on my knees I suppose. I like the way the old starters sound anyway. My old man once told me, "You can tell this thing is old by the way it sounds firing up. Takes me back." Yep, that's the idea
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The relay remained on the fender even with the later style starter. Since it carries little load though they almost never go bad. I've got one of each of the starters, the Towncar runs the old fat body starter, the Mark VII run the later permanant magnet gear reducer, the Conti runs the early gear reducer with the field windings. They all sound different but the Towncar sounds oldest.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thank you Sly.
                  I assume it will not try to start on its own without being prompted. Never know about the Chinese born gremlins though.
                  90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                  90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                  91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                  70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    The relay remained on the fender even with the later style starter. Since it carries little load though they almost never go bad. I've got one of each of the starters, the Towncar runs the old fat body starter, the Mark VII run the later permanant magnet gear reducer, the Conti runs the early gear reducer with the field windings. They all sound different but the Towncar sounds oldest.
                    Personally, I quite enjoy the sound of the old school starters. Despite this, my 83 and 84 have both received PMGR units, the Ranger is going to eventually, and at the first sign of trouble, so will the wagon.

You get more crank per whatever unit of energy with the PMGR. A marginal battery will crank and crank and crank a PMGR, where the same battery would fall flat on its face trying to crank the direct drive. Since I often work with a marginal battery I appreciate the fact that stuff starts.

RE: kill switch, Sly's right on the money. The starter relay kind of "is" the kill switch for the starter...it fails, you put a new one on, call it done. A battery disconnect switch would do what you're seeking, with the added bonus (with a PMGR starter only...) that you could replace starters without disconnecting the battery. I once was determined to keep my radio presets while changing a starter, and almost welded the battery cable to the frame in the process. That is when I learned how the PMGR setup works, there's a big fat constant hot wire down to the starter.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

If I remember correctley I have seen high resistance and low voltage cause this type of issue with the starter solenoid if you have not done so allready make sure all your connections are good and the battery is fully charged and in good shape. Bad connections at any point from the battery, solenoid or starter even bad grounds will raise the amps and weld the contacts.

Aftermarket parts are fine, bad connections not so much. Adding a kill switch will just add more connections and more potental for problems.
                      Last edited by EaOutlaw1969; 02-24-2018, 04:44 AM.
                      2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                        Personally, I quite enjoy the sound of the old school starters. Despite this, my 83 and 84 have both received PMGR units, the Ranger is going to eventually, and at the first sign of trouble, so will the wagon.

I have no special feelings either way about it, but when the 86 needs a starter it will probably get updated. I'm not replacing a working starter though. Its not impossible that I'll be a cheapass and rebuild the one on there though. I put that st like 3 days before the first Scottfest. 2005 I wanna say that was?

Comment

Working...
                        X