Bought some used gears - pictures inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought some used gears - pictures inside

I bought a set of used 3.08 gears to swap into the Mustang and wanted some opinions on what kind of shape they're in. Cost me $60.
    Attached Files
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
    I bought a set of used 3.08 gears to swap into the Mustang and wanted some opinions on what kind of shape they're in. Cost me $60.
    Used gears are used gears. You won't know what shape they are in until you put them in and run them.

Comment

Gears look fine, I don't like the look of the pinion bearing though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 teeth look fine. Always a good idea to replace the bearings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for taking a look. That bearing will not be going in with the gears.

The whole rear end in the Mustang was rebuilt a couple of years ago with only about two thousand miles put on it since then. I'm thinking they'll probably be fine to stay in there. Not sure where I'm going to get the gears swapped, though. If Sly or anyone else can recommend a reputable place with a good price in DFW, I'd be willing to take it there instead of getting it done here.
          —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

I had my box rebuilt at Lone Star Performance in Addison and that was the last rebuild that axle had before I sold it... I think that was 6 years ago? They stand by their work, but if you bring in parts, they will make you sign wavers about said parts.

That said, any good performance shop should be able to set up a Ford 8.8 in their sleep. You may not need to come all the way to DFW for the work to be done. In fact, I think it's better to stay local so you can drop in and chat with the guys about the car if it'll take a few days. Also chat up their options for future mods. They will want to take care to do a good job for you if they think you may come back for more.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I don't think there are any performance shops in Wichita Falls. I'll ask around.
              —John

Comment

Working...
              X