Just picked up an 86 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just picked up an 86 LTD CV Wagon

This wagon popped up for sale down near Colorado Springs, looked pretty good in the photos so I had to go check it out. Price was very fair so I bought it.

86 so its one of the last years with the older styling with the MPFI.

bare bones model with crank windows and manual door locks. Love the clock, now I have to decide if I want to swap it out for the Tripmider I picked up from the JY (leaning towards keeping the analog clock)

Only real bummers are the driver side doors and a crinkle at the dog leg. The spare tire bump has a hit, which pushed out the bottom of the quarter but its not quite as bad as it looks at first. Other than that its clean.

Old school maintenance tracking:

The gas gauge didn't work, it was a blown fuse!

Double Dual cats?

Its got all its AIR system hoses and tubing in place too.

I couldn't believe when I saw the muffler being missing, it's pretty quiet as is! Its going to be silent when I get the muffler on it.

I do need a driver door armrest pad if anyone has a spare laying around.

So now that I've got this one the 84 will be put back together (was in process of swapping seats) and passed along to another wagon fan. I've also got that nearly complete 90 interior I'll let go for cheap, I'll make a FS threads.

That’s a serious stripper model right there. Outside of the minor issues, it looks great.

I lol’d when I saw the “Slick 50” sticker on the door. Never been a big fan of oil additives in good engines. Only place I’ve used anything was some Lucas goop in a 350 with bad oil conspumption and a knock on start up. It helped a bit, but that motor is worn out.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I wondered what that was.

Comment

Even though its a stripper it has a roof rack and probably has the mother in law seats in the back, (step pad is on the rear bumper). 3.08 open rear. WagonMan.
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
          Even though its a stripper it has a roof rack and probably has the mother in law seats in the back, (step pad is on the rear bumper). 3.08 open rear. WagonMan.
          No seats or belts in there, I'll have to look to see if there is any evidence of them being there at some point. I'll definitely be swapping over the jump seats from the 84 and recovering them to match at some point.

WagonMan, do you happen to have a driver side armrest top?

Comment

Only one I have is in blue. WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park

Comment

Love the woodgrain Dymo label

That one sure is clean though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That's a pretty[very] clean car. Like Kwolf said though, that "Slick 50" treatment has me curious as to the state of the engine. But then again, I've never known one of these factory 302's to not use oil to some extent. The stock gas cap on my '88 even said "Check oil" so Ford must have a TSB about it.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I like it...good get.
                  The armrest is going to be exceptionally hard to come by compared to other things, since you need to find not only a manual window car (unusual), but also a tan one (not as unusual)...those two things will make it difficult. I'll keep my eyes open.

Derek, every Ford had the 'check oil' fuel cap or sticker inside the fuel door pretty much up to the late 80s (the earliest I've seen with it was a Fairmont...so it at least started in the late 70s). It used to be that you were supposed to check your oil level every time you got fuel. Nobody does that anymore, for various reasons, some of them justifiable.

My '83 had the same clock, wouldn't keep time.
                  Last edited by kishy; 02-15-2018, 11:29 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                  Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                  | 88 TC | 91 GM
                  Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                  Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                    That’s a serious stripper model right there.
                    The no power windows is kinda lame, for a second I thought about maybe swapping the window regulators between the 84 and 86, but that would be a big job with the 86 having no power going to the door at all. and then the 84 door cards would have the square cut outs near the cranks.

The crank windows do make for a more interactive experience.

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
                    Only one I have is in blue. WagonMan
                    Thank you for looking.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                    Like Kwolf said though, that "Slick 50" treatment has me curious as to the state of the engine.
                    I feel like it was done as a preventative measure. If something was up with the engine at only 32k I don't think it would have lasted another 100k

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                    I like it...good get.
                    The armrest is going to be exceptionally hard to come by compared to other things, since you need to find not only a manual window car (unusual), but also a tan one (not as unusual)...those two things will make it difficult. I'll keep my eyes open.

My '83 had the same clock, wouldn't keep time.
                    Thank you.

I'm lucky this clock is keeping time (knock on wood)

I found out, to my surprise, that this has the barking park vacuum release. The switch must be leaking because I can hear a hiss under the dash, it does release the P brake though. Those switches are a bit nuts in price at $40-50. I bet a person could do an electrical workaround by tieing a vac solenoid into the reverse light switch, that way every time its shifted out of part, past R, it would send vacuum to the release bellow. Or maybe a vacuum valve switch on the brake pedal (similar to the cruise cancel switch but not a vac release switch) that way it gets release vacuum when the brake is pressed with the engine running... or just cap the vacuum and use the P brake that every other car. lol.

Comment

One of the first orders of business was trashing these garbage knock off Buick caps.

The outer part rotates on a large rivet, I can't believe these were meant to be spinners... thankfully the valve steams stopped any rotation.

Comment

Well, keep an eye on oil consumption. Seems no one does PM or maintenance unless its necessary to keep the thing going.

My clock just quit. They all do at some point haha. I'll be looking into rebuilding or refurbing it in the summer. Or when I have to replace one of the bulbs.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Crank windows are my friend. I love mine. I will really love them if I ever drive into a pond and the battery shorts out.

That makes two of us with manual lock wagons. They should have at least made the tailgate power lock like they did the window.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            That makes two of us with manual lock wagons. They should have at least made the tailgate power lock like they did the window.
                            I think I will probably add power door locks at a minimum.

I notice the hissing under the dash changes with the position of the shifter, I'm wondering if the shifter indicator being out of alignment has it sitting in between positions on the vac switch.

This is where is sits in Drive:

Overdrive:

When I move it to the middle of D is when the auto P brake releases. Is the adjustment at the column or at the trans on these?

Made a detour to the JY on the way home yesterday to check out the condition of the dog leg on that 1991 CP for the side damage repair.

Actually cut out pretty easily.

Comment

By the time you cut, drill and splice that new piece in, you could have fixed what you have, as long as the original piece is solid. I wish you lived near me, I would fix it for you and I have doors with out wood grain. WagonMan
                              89 Colony Park
                              90 Colony Park

Comment

Working...
                              X