No announcement yet.

Just picked up an 86 LTD CV Wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a LOT of dead end connectors in these cars because of all the options.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      There's a LOT of dead end connectors in these cars because of all the options.
      Makes sense, especially with mine being bare bones on the options.

Comment

those 3-prong connectors over the parking brake are for the non-existent cornering lights, but they are live wires. Make sure those are tied up securely so the parking brake won't crush it. Found that out the hard way. One got crushed on the Mad Marquis. Kept blowing the fuse for all the dash power.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Been working off and on on the 86 wagon. I ordered a new vacuum switch for the parking break auto release, still need to install that.

I saved all the jump seat brackets from the CP at the junk yard so at some point I need to get those welded and screwed in.

While messing with the tailgate I confirmed my suspicions that the little bit of rust showing at the bottom of the tailgate was much worse inside the tailgate. I decided to swap it with the one off the 84 wagon. Was a decent job but I'm happy with how it turned out, it closes better now that I had to adjust it and the rear glass on the 84 is in better shape.
          I've got some wiring work to do since some of the connectors changed between the years. and the 84 has power locks already in so thats a plus.

I'm thinking I'm going to pull the power door lock actuators out of the 84. I'll leave the power window. Might as well before selling it, I have a feeling I'm going to be lucky if I can get what I paid for it so I should get what I can out of it first.

Also made an adapter harness for the 8-track. I need to mount it and get the right radio trim plate.

Comment

Any chance you can just sit on the now removed tailgate and repair it? Will come in handy when the current ones starts going south? Good learning experience too!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice to see there are connectors hidden way back on the tailgate. That’s going to be a blessing and a curse for me. I’ve been sitting on a replacement for a year, but haven’t futzed with it since I got it. I guess I’m going to have to graft the existing connectors from my damaged tailgate to the good one since the replacement just had them cut.

How hard was it to get everything aligned properly?

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Any chance you can just sit on the now removed tailgate and repair it? Will come in handy when the current ones starts going south? Good learning experience too!

Nah, I put the tan one from the 86 on the sliver 84 and will send it on its way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
                  How hard was it to get everything aligned properly?
                  The hinge side wasn't too bad, I put a couple pieces of plywood under the door and snuged up a lower nut then when I tightened the upper nuts I put sideways pressure on the socket extension to help take the slack/sag out of the door hinge. The bigger pain was getting the strikers adjusted so they both would catch. They both had to come out just about all the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X