PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just picked up an 86 LTD CV Wagon

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

I don't recall the rear window on my '88 Country Squire not being able to go down while driving, but this was more than a decade ago when I had that car. Flakey switch in your case could be one explanation. Poor electrical connection at the window motor another.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Where is the switch?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Where is the switch?
    Tailgate window switch is on the right hand side of the knee panel. It’s right below where the power antenna switch is if the car/wagon is equipped with it.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (320K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (200K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Where is the switch?
    [/url]

IIRC... there's a lockout in the tailgate itself. It has to be shut all the way for the glass to go up. This gets worse with age as the hinges get bad/worn.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    IIRC... there's a lockout in the tailgate itself. It has to be shut all the way for the glass to go up. This gets worse with age as the hinges get bad/worn.
    That makes sense. I need to test it more.

Oh neat-o. Too bad it isn't part of the door panel's controls.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

No point really, but there is a window switch built into the tailgate key. I don't recall if it will run both ways, but you can put it down by the key to allow the tailgate to drop in truck mode. The gate won't open that direction unless the glass is down anyway, or at least it isn't supposed to.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    My tailgate window goes up and down with the door open, and when driving. The mechanisms in there seem a bit sensitive though.
    -Phil

+'82 Ford LTD-S Police Car. 351w, GT40 Heads, 2150 Carb, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Baumann Shift kit.
    +1975 Maverick- Fuel injected 302, Trickflow 170 heads, XE270 cam, explorer intakes, 24# injectors, custom tune. T5 transmission, 3.55 Yukon Trac-Lok rear.
    +1989 Mercury Colony Park "Large Marge" Lopo 302. 3.55L K-Code Tow package, Baumann Shift Kit, Big brake swap, rear discs, HO intake/TB, custom exhaust.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

consider how water-tight Ford doors are, and consider how water-tight Ford switches are. Add 30 years to the mix and its amazing any of these things work.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Just noticed these labels in the fuel door. Not sure what they're trying to say, thought 'Fuel Additive' with the FA but the FB has me scratching my head.

Maybe part numbers for something... Or maybe just goofy PO thing that no one will every understand lol.

fomoco panthers !

Feb 02-17 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Feb 02-17 ?
    Nah, these stickers are old.

Could have spent time as a fleet vehicle. Perhaps a fuel key code for fuel tracking purposes.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - getting her back in shape (POTM March 2017)
    1995 Mustang Cobra coupe - keeping it simple
    1966 Mustang coupe - soon-to-be project: no longer buried in junk; out of the garage!

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Could have spent time as a fleet vehicle. Perhaps a fuel key code for fuel tracking purposes.
    That could be. I wish I knew more of this thing's history.

In other news I received the arm rest pad. This thing is minty fresh but unfortunately the older color of tan/cream. oh well. It'll serve until I find a better option.

Yeah, close enough and better than nothing, right?

fomoco panthers !

I would not worry about it. Finding a color match even when the cars were new was a hit or miss. Cars coming of the lot new had different shades of plastic and rubber. I think my 79 LTD S had like three shades of green. My LTD has about three shades of blue.
    You found a nos one !! Expensive yes, but it looks great.

Indeed! Slightly off in color is way better than nothing and beats having a curled up used one.

Worked on the 86 over the weekend. investigated what part of the auto parking brake release was making the hissing sound.

All hoses are in good shape, no dry rot or cracking.

To eliminate the vac actuator as the leak I bypassed the switch. Silence, so the vac actuator is good. The leak is at the switch.

While I was working on it I removed the pass side kick panel too just to make sure the heater core wasn't dripping inside the car (there is a faint coolant smell when the heater is on) Everything looks good from the inside. I did find $6 under the glove box so that's a win!

There were some unsued connectors on the pass side behind the dash, curious what they go to.

One of those connectors is for the door light IIRC. The money looks newer, unfortunately. I used to stash cash in my cars just in case technology was busted or I got robbed digitally. Usually just enough for a tank of gas and a cheeseburger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast