How to paint calipers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to paint calipers ?

I am looking at buying some reman calipers. Would like to paint them so they do not rust and want them to match the body color.

I was looking at the Por 15 paint for brush on. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Whatever I do I don't want to be looking at in a few years and saying it looks like crap. My cars generally get more years on them then they do mileage.

So I am open for suggestions.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Also there is this stuff called G2 which is a 2 part. https://www.amazon.com/G2-Temperatur...70_&dpSrc=srch

Also there are VHT or rustoleum or other brand spray cans.

Getting them powder coated would cost more and would it be worth it?
    Last edited by jaywish; 02-18-2018, 02:27 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I've had better results with brush paint vs spray when it comes to keeping rust off. I brush painted a set of headers with the POR15 high temp paint a bunch of years ago and they held up fine, still looked good when I removed them. It was not glossy in the least, but flat black is what I wanted for that job. I don't know if they make a shiny paint, flat would look a bit blah on a caliper unless you're not concerned with looks.

I wouldn't powder coat if only because it would need to be baked. I would only feel comfortable if the calipers were stripped of any rubber parts before hand, and honestly, screw that. If anything got inside the bore its going to leak, and isn't the point of buying calipers to not rebuild the stupid things yourself?
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My father uses his mustang on weekends. Car gets around 1000 miles a month some times because he likes to go to Montauk point area and back with it. He painted his new 87 to 93 calipers (he upgraded the fronts from the 85 spec) with duplicolor brush on caliper paint. This was probably 50K miles ago! and they still look nice and red. I was surprised at how they have held up.

Which color are you looking to get here? (you did not mention which car you want to do this on)

If you want it to last many many years guaranteed then I would powder coat...may also have more color options that way.

If you need just a generic color and are okay with touching things up after a brake job scuffs some things then I would go with the brush on stuff.

I have used the spray on caliper paint from dupilicolor/vht and would definitely do my stuff with the brush on kit if I ever did it again.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

BTW I am thinking of the Marauder which is blue. Thinking of the "cheap" 03-11 big brakes.
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

i use several coats of bbq stove paint.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

BBQ paint hold up to brake fluid & Cleaner?
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Plus one to powder coating them, They can be easily taken apart and all the seals reused.
                The dust seal is easily pryed out with a small pick then use a block of wood and compressed air to blow the piston out then remove the piston bore seal.
                if it has lubricated caliper slides those should come out easy as well.
                With newly rebuilt cailpers all the shop would have to do is degrease them and tape off the areas not getting coated since they do not have to media blast them, the cost should be minimal.
                2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

TRIED IT ALL AND IT AND SOONER OR LATER craps out. either the heat or fluid and or rust from underneath the paint paint that is not water proof. including anodized
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

look at all high end cars every caliper was powder coated. Don't cheap out if taken care of it will last cardone has CUSTOM FX POWDER-COATED CALIPERS

Comment

Powder-Coated Brake Calipers, Remanufactured | CARDONE
                      www.cardone.com/products/brakes/brakes-products...

Comment

Soak the calipers in this stuff for about a week to remove the rust.

Then apply rust paint like POR-15. DOM-16, RustBullet, Miracle Paint, etc. After that apply color coat.

Comment

Let us see if this link works.

http://www.cardone.com/products/brak...lored-calipers

Cardone offers yellow,red and black. May have to call for prices or find a dealer.

I have yet to try the evaporust. Got a bottle so maybe this will be the time if I do the rears as well. Was thinking of starting with a set of reman calipers for the front as I don't have any Corvette Calipers (C5) and brackets to start with. If anybody has an old set I could be interested.
                          Last edited by jaywish; 02-19-2018, 07:47 PM.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Evaporust is FANTASTIC. Been using it for years on nuts, bolts and small parts. I soaked a set of drums in it before and they came out like new.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i used rustoleum engine enamel. its good to a high temp as well and offers more off the shelf color options than the "caliper paint". ive done it on the 82 Merc, the LTD, the daily rice, and a friends volvo. all holding up nicely. a benefit i like is that it holds up well to a power washer and chemical cleaners for when i wash and detail the car.

just a generous bath of whatever your preferred oil/grease remover is, and paint em up. i generally do about 3-5 coats, always had good results. the drums on the LTD were pretty rusty so i wire wheeled what i could. still looks good but some of the green flaked of with the rust during reassembly lol. but what ya gonna do with original parts sometimes haha.

if asthetics arent your thing, theres a regular black option and i think a flat as well offered in the engine enamel. seems to do well with brake fluid and resisting rust also
                              Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 02-19-2018, 11:02 PM.
                              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
                              X