Parasitic draw on battery test procedure help needed 2000 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parasitic draw on battery test procedure help needed 2000 GM

I admit I have not searched this forum yet but will do so, and I have not had the cash to sign up for Alldata yet.

My car had a dead battery and I want to check for parasitic draw on the battery, yet each car has its own specific test procedure and acceptable current draw.

Does anyone know the the specific test procedures for the 2000 GM, I wll be using my DVOM once connected I plan on waiting 2 minutes to see the acutal current draw

I will post my results once I check for a draw.

Thanks for any help
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

I have a clamp meter that I use for that. (Extech MA220)

No clue what the specific test procedure is, but I'll look it up in my EVTM later. I generally check the alternator charge cable first. If there's any current on that with the car off, I replace the alternator. After that, I start checking from the battery to the fuse box/starter and find out which fuse is feeding the draw. The general idea is start at the battery and find out which fat wire is carrying the current and then move down that one until it's isolated to a fuse/part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      I have a clamp meter that I use for that. (Extech MA220)

No clue what the specific test procedure is, but I'll look it up in my EVTM later. I generally check the alternator charge cable first. If there's any current on that with the car off, I replace the alternator. After that, I start checking from the battery to the fuse box/starter and find out which fuse is feeding the draw. The general idea is start at the battery and find out which fat wire is carrying the current and then move down that one until it's isolated to a fuse/part.
      Well for now I used my test light to test for a draw for a few seconds my light was lit bright then faded to such a dim light it was barely able to make the test light filiment glow slightly.

this morning witha fully charged battery and no large draw on the system the car would not start ( like a dead battery ) I locked then unlocked the doors and it started up, i am not sure its related yet I may have some sort of Pats issue if this car is eqquipped with Pats.

I guess before I dig too deep i am just gonning to sign up for Alldata or mitchell and perform some trouble shooting.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

2000 GM is indeed equipped with PATS.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks SLY I was hoping no praying 2000 was pre PATS ( LOL )

Comment

It might be the keyless entry pad. My father once had an issue with the battery going dead on the 2000 MGM that he ended up giving to me, and Ford had replaced the keyless entry pad. It think it might have been a common problem. I don't think PATS itself has ever been an issue. I think the normal parasitic drain is about 25mA after the computer goes into sleep mode.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Thanks, I am starting to think the battery was discharged from sitting a long time, but the no crank situation I have noticed is still happening with a charged battery.

I read somewhere these car have issues with the wiring under the steering column from the ignition switch.

When I feel up to it I plan on looking under there.

Comment

Any looseness in the shifter? That's a known problem:

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Just got to cover the basics.

Did you clean the terminals even if they look ok?
                  Check the other end of the ground connection.
                  Are the terminal clamps themselves in good condition? Sometimes the replacement ones need cleaning and reseating under the bolt on wire clamp The wire must be held in tight.

When battery is charged, (has it been checked for condition?)
                  With key off do you get headlights when you turn them on?
                  Are they normal brightness?
                  With headlights on, have someone or use mirror, turn the key to crank/start while looking at headlights. What happens to engine & headlights?
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                    Any looseness in the shifter? That's a known problem:

I drove this car from where I bought it to my house then I moved it a few times to my driveway, in these few times I have noticed that finding reverse is a PITA.

So yes this video may be very helpful. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      Just got to cover the basics.

Did you clean the terminals even if they look ok?
                      Check the other end of the ground connection.
                      Are the terminal clamps themselves in good condition? Sometimes the replacement ones need cleaning and reseating under the bolt on wire clamp The wire must be held in tight.

When battery is charged, (has it been checked for condition?)
                      With key off do you get headlights when you turn them on?
                      Are they normal brightness?
                      With headlights on, have someone or use mirror, turn the key to crank/start while looking at headlights. What happens to engine & headlights?
                      When I first got the car It was obvious that the car has sat for some time, and the battery was discharged yet started right up and I drove it home.

The next day I went to start it up I had no starter no click but everything else seemed to work ok, yet i did not go nuts checking everything I pullled the negitive cable off and check the battery voltage which was 11.6 volts or so. I put my smart charger on it which test the condition of the battery and charging system.

I also wanted to check for parasitic drain according to a factory service manual which i am waiting on signing up for.

The cables and connetions seem to be fine yet I have not inspected all of them or serviced them yet but is in my plans or check list of items I must do.

So far aside from day one when the battery was discharged and would not start at all, any time that the car has not started something simple like putting my foot on the brake or locking and unlocking the doors would allow the car to start. yet the no start situation will not last long enough to do any type of real diagnostics.

Yesterday after my doctors appoinment I got in my GM shut the door put the key in applied the brake and it started right up.

So far my gut is telling me the neutral safety switch is not letting the car to start from the possible column issue or adjustment I have not looked into this at all other than notice reverse is hard to find.

The orginal reason for my post was to see if anyone had access to a factory service manual and would share the factory test procedures for parastic draw.

Regardless if my GM has a obvious draw or not, this is one test I wanted to run so I can get that warm fuzzy feeling knowing there is no excessive draw, since my car will be sitting for some time.

Once I sign up for Mitchell or Alldata I will post the procedures here for others with simular year GM.

Thank you for the tips and input.

Comment

I went out and checked the shifter bracket at the column yet I have not checked it at the transmission yet. It seems to have some play at the column yet the bolts are tight.

I think the next thing to do like mentioned is check the basics connections etc and put a DVOM at the starter from the igntion switch or where ever the voltage comes from and see if I am getting power to the starter when it will not crank over.

I am pretty sure I will have some work to do to the column but I am unsure at this point.

Comment

I spent some time trying to figure out what is going on with the no start issue, I am pretty confident the GM does not have a parasitic drain on the battery other than what is to be considered normal.

I cleaned the battery terminals, while the cables were disconnected I inspected the connections at the starter I found under the red plastic terminal cover rust and some corrsion, So I cleaned the wires going to the starter the studs on the starter and the nuts, I ran a long jumper wire from the starter to the battery and connected a test light to that wire so i can see if I had voltage when the car would not start.

After about 25 turns of the key and the starter working every time I gave up waiting for it to act up.

While tinkering with this car I cleaned the engine bay and inspected the undersideof the car checking for needed repairs rust etc, and I was happy to find my GM is in very good shape.
                          No fluid leaks anywhere, no play in the front end parts, even the brakes are in great shape.

I tried starting the car several more times during the day messing with the shifter and wiggling wires etc and each time the car started..

I am not sure if the problem is solved by servicing the connections or if it is just a fluke that the car now starts each time.

I read a article on a crown Vic forum that shows the shifter issue may be a broken shift tube yet even with the play I found I doubt the tube is completley broken yet it is something I will investigate eventutally..

Thanks for all the help with my new to me GM you guys have been very helpful.
                          Attached Files

Comment

You probably sorted it by cleaning the connectors.

As for the shift tube... the bushings go to crap and that allows most of the play if it's not broken. Though if you go in to replace the bushings and notice any large cracks in the shaft (typically just behind the lever), buy the Standard Motor Parts version (TechSmart) Q18003 as it's about twice as thick as the other parts (Re: Dorman) and should last much longer. The Dorman shift tube bushings are fine though if that's all you need.

Comment

Thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
                              X