X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97 CV Instrument cluster issue

Buckle mangs, because here we go.
    So, TOJ3 is having some issues.
    -No speedometer indication, (I forgot to verify if the odometer actually worked)
    -No voltage indication
    -No fake oil pressure indication
    -No check engine light on (It's throwing codes, it should be on, and I put a known good bulb in)

I have fuel quantity and coolant temp indication. Nothing else works.
    These lights do work:
    -High beam
    -Air SUS
    -Battery
    -Turn signals

I need to try and get the brake and whatever else to come on tonight.

I swapped the cluster with the 01? CVPI one I had just to see if anything followed or would work. No good.

Should I be leaning towards a PCM? I really need to look over the entire harness and see if I can find any breaks or whatnot. I will check the driver side wheel well where I found a few wires chaffed through on TOJ2.

I do have a 96 PCM. I might swap that in and give it a go.

I'm hoping someone might have a good starting point for me.

Thoughts?

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Is this cluster an electronic or analog one? If it’s analog, I’d check for power on the B+ pin for the speedometer head on the back of it. If that’s not getting power, something is up with power delivery to everything else. I’d also double check the grounds.

The PCM won’t affect anything. All the gauges are driven by sensors that feed to it, like VSS to the speedometer. IIRC, a ‘96 PCM won’t play nice on a ‘97. I used a ‘96 P71 PCM once and I only had 2nd and 3rd gear, and the fuel pump wouldn’t stop priming with key on and engine off. I did get a ‘97 P71 and it worked properly with the car.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I have a spare 97 CVPI gauge cluster if needed.LMK. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Check fuse 13 (15 amp), or instrument cluster ground.

Comment

+1 fuse, ground, cluster contact/trace issue.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I might be able to give this a go on Saturday. That's the earliest day that's available for me.
            Until then....

-ryan s.
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

So, I checked and fuse 13 was in fact blown.
              However, it did blow again, but it hasn't since.
              I still have 3 codes and the CEL (it does light up on KOEOff) is not on.
              Everything else works well.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Depending on the codes, they may be soft, non-CEL codes. My ‘97 has a code for fuel sending level input, but the gas gauge works normally and that code won’t set the CEL.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Ok, cool.
                  I have the same code, P0460
                  But I also have a P0303 for #3 misfire. But how does it know it's #3?? It doesn't have COPs.
                  Blah.
                  I'm gonna bring it in for inspection next week and an alignment. I've got a good feeling.

-ryan s.
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

It knows #3 by injector order, cam sensor. It may have been set if the car stalled or didn't start properly.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Hmmm..... Ok. I'll look into that. I'm trying to get the car inspected this weekend so I can drive it. They have to plug it in. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time/money.

-ryan s.
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

If the MIL is not actively on, and the emissions codes show ready (car needs to be driven about 80-100 miles in 6-10 segments IIRC), then it should do fine. You might be able to get by without driving it by running it up to temp and letting it cool off 6-10 times, but I think it requires some load time as well.

You might should get a cheapo OBD-II reader so you can check these things.
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO/
                        Last edited by sly; 03-01-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

I did have the #3 injector disconnected. Actually, I had the whole right hand harness disconnected.
                          I also found out that in NY, any car 1996 and newer has to be plugged in and read. HOWEVER, any car older that 25 years, DOES NOT NEED TO BE PLUGGED IN. So in 2022, the TOJ3 will be exempt from being plugged in, as long as all the emissions shit is still in there. (which it will be).

I have a SCT Xcal3. That's my code reader/deleter

-ryan s.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

you know how to read pending codes and all for inspection yes. You are permitted pending and no fails as a minimum to pass that part of inspection.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It also will determine cylinder misfire based on input from the crank sensor. It knows where #1 is because of the gap and counts the tits on the tone ring from there. The fluctuation in that signal is what trips the misfire indicator.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X