Auto Mark Threads as Read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Mark Threads as Read

I poked around in settings and can't seem to find how to automagically mark threads as read when I open them. I noticed this feature hasn't worked since yesterday, tried on multiple previously working devices including four computers and one phone with the same result so I'm thinking it must be a setting on my forum profile, but I can't seem to find it.
    Maybe I missed the setting, if so can someone please point me to it on the computer, not mobile or Tapatalk.

Or is this a site setting only changeable through the Admin Control Panel?
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Some upgrades (changes) have been made as of late. This may have been affected by them.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm finding it's working fine for me across a handful of machines...VB got an update and so did the shoutbox (and in doing so we think gadget fixed the external link redirects!). It's possible that cached content in your browser could be making it act funny. I'd try clearing cache, cookies etc, log out, then log in again and see what's happening.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Know what...something might (still?) be up here. I just found that I cannot get certain threads to "stick" being read...they keep "coming back from the read" (ha. ha?) and being unread again.

I had noticed this sporadically in the past, so I don't know that anything meaningfully coincided with the update.

I think it has something to do with the plugin that handles the homepage. One of us will need to poke around with this.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

I had to hit the button yesterday and then it worked as normal. Maybe clear your browser cache? Dunno, I'll see if anything obvious is wrong with the settings.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I rebuilt the thread caches, see if it works now. It seems to work properly for me at least.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still the same behavior for me. Cleared cache on 1 laptop and 1 phone but same behavior on both still.

This is a very minor issue, don't lose too much sleep over it.

The main functionality of the forum is still good and I can manually mark threads as read and they stay marked as read when I do so.
              I'll continue to poke around and see if there is something (whether user profile setting or browser setting) on my end that might help, and if so I'll let everyone know.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I'm finding the "if I view it, it becomes read" thing is working fine as long as I accessed the thread through the forum list e.g. core vbulletin functionality.

The Recent Posts list on the homepage (which unless I'm mistaken is plugin-driven) is where I'm finding the unread status will not clear consistently. Some threads it did, more did not. I marked the whole board read, and new posts since that are staying unread on the recent posts list.

Presumably, then, the plugin in charge of that page maintains its own record of "who has seen what and when" independently of how vbulletin is keeping track of the same...since I'm fairly sure (bit rusty, but not completely) vbulletin does keep track of that in the database rather than depending exclusively on client-side stuff like cookies.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

I always use the new posts listing to read stuff and it stays marked as read.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Kevin, I did not notice that before but it is only on the "Recent Threads" list on http://www.grandmarq.net/index.php where my issue is present. Everywhere else that I have looked so far shows the threads marked appropriately.

I have in the past always found the "Recent Threads" list to be slightly buggy. It often would not show a thread as read after I had viewed it, but most times viewing it a second time would cause the "Recent Threads" list to show it as read. Also, since I work with multiple computers at work, the "Recent Threads" list would show all read after I opened the threads on one computer, but going to another computer "RT" would show them as unread. This made me suspect that it may be tracking by cookies but I never had a reason to want to figure out if that was the case.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I don't know where that recent posts thing on the homepage comes from. Possibly out of the "activity stream", but it may be a more rectal-derived function. The forum itself should be tracking that in the database.

Comment

Here's a twist, it seems to be working but with a delay to the tune of hours. I haven't pipointed it yet, it's entirely possible that it could be an hour or less, but I do know that the delay is more than 10 minutes. By then I hit the mark all threads as read option, I'll have to refrian from doing that to see how long the delay between post read and RT update is. It used to be as soon as I opened a thread I could refresh the page with the RT list and it would update right away (most of the time). Rectal-derived function for sure, lol.

Edit: now I know it's more than a 20 minute delay.
                        Last edited by VicCrownVic; 02-24-2018, 07:11 PM.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My RT list has still not updated yet. Now I'm starting to wonder if it was working with delay, but I'm pretty sure I witnessed it update on its own (like it should but with very long delay) twice today.

I did notice that the "My Activity" tab on user profiles is working again. I liked that feature back when it used to work, it made it easier for me find something that I know I said, or someone else said, but couldn't remember where I or they said it. It made it easier to quote them instead of saying "I can't find the answer, but I think someone said..." as long as I could remember who said it if it wasn't me.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Dunno, all of the settings related to that sort of thing are just at the same default settings they were before. There was actually a problem hidden somewhere in the software that had been ongoing for a while, seems like that is finally gone.

Comment

Working...
                            X