Help with my 78 GMQ trunk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my 78 GMQ trunk.

Looks like clear coat is gone. What do I need to do, to get this in better shape? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180224_141239097.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1304154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180224_141230278.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1304155 toClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180224_141230278.jpg
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	1304155

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

I’d say a little more than the clear coat is gone.

I’d probably say sand and prep the surface and do a repaint on the panel. It’s already missing a lot of paint. A good paint shop or body shop could work with you to make up some paint that’ll match the original paint as close as possible assuming you’re wanting to do the work yourself.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Lol
      Should have said clearcoat faliure that led to fading paint. What can one expect after 40 years?

So I definitely want to keep the vintage patina . This is the only place...little on my hood that the paint is this bad. Does anyone have a good link on how to do small paintjobs like this? Anything I need to look out for when buying paint, since this car is not fiberglass?

Comment

I doubt that was ever clearcoat. 78 should have been straight enamel paint. Either way its through the paint and into the metal. Basically sand it and paint it is the fix here.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Depending on your purpose and means, I’d start to consider a full repaint.

Going to be very tough to match for a panel job, and even if the color does, the shine will not.

If going for the patina, sand with 600-800 grit and clear coat what you have.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I had some good luck with just using some rattle cans from automotivetouchup.com this past summer on my '78. It's not a prefect match, but it's much better than it was before. I've seen some bad reviews on them so I'm not sure if you want to use the same brand. (I've had no issues)

Before:

After:

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Matching is never going to happen. Just no way to match 40 year old neglected paint. 40 year old pristine paint would have a hell of a better chance at kinda matching.

If you do not want a full on repaint but rather repaint the affected areas and are okay with it not matching (because it never will) go with slacks suggestion.

If you just want to prevent things from getting worse try this out: https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pa...r-aerosol.html

Anything short of a full repaint will result in mismatched panels.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the advice gentleman. Chewing on what to do. A new paint job....how much coin for a barge?
                Last edited by Grand1; 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

depends where you go. Prices will vary from Maaco to several times that depending on quality of the paint and quality of the painter.

If you don't have the coin for a really good job now, strip as much trim and do as much prep work as possible on the car yourself. Mask the rest, have it done at Maaco.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X