Oil level sensor leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level sensor leak

88tc the level sensor on back of the oil pan has a pretty good leak going.

Is the only fix buying a new sensor? or is there a seal that can be replaced?

new sensor is over $100 is why i ask. would be nice if there was a seal available somewhere?? thanks for any help
    96 MGM
    sigpic
    Cruisin up and down the road...

It the leak from the outside edges or center of the sensor where the connector plugs in?

If outside, get a gasket https://lmr.com/item/LRS-6626A/1984-...-Sensor-Gasket.

If inside the sensor, you need a sensor.

Or just replace the sensor with a bolt. Google says 20mm 1.5 is what you need.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

or eBay for the gasket. I have one coming in the mail.

You could use the Lockktight 915(?) - flange sealer.

Comment

The whole thing looks to be leaking? What do you guys think, here is a pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oilsensor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1283139
        96 MGM
        sigpic

Comment

damn... Thats looks like the sensor leaking and not the seal. Sorry. Replacement time. Or just remove and replace with a bolt.

New sensors are $100 USD so pricey. a Junk yard used one is an option.

Steve

Comment

So I found this sensor and this seal for under $50. I think there is a clip for the wire i should be able to reuse?
            Anyway i'll try ordering that sensor, see how it goes.
            Thanks for the help!

it looks pretty grungy under there but a lot of it is fluid undercoating i got last fall. probably valve covers too, but all that oil keeps the rust away

No old cars in junk yards near me, rust gets so bad they don't keep them past 20 years... even the 10-15 year-olds were crushed a few years back when steel was high... doing what i can to save this one
            Last edited by BoulevardRide; 03-02-2018, 09:26 PM.
            96 MGM
            sigpic

Comment

As for the bolt sounds like a good option but i'm trying to keep everything working, kind of a science project i guess... plus it's nice not to have to check the oil all the dang time, this 5.0 doesn't really burn any, just leaks!
              96 MGM
              sigpic

Comment

The clip is actually in the sensor already. If you look at the opening, you'll see the two sides of the clip. You have to pop it out to get it unplugged.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I got the parts in the mail. Here is a pic, want to make sure it goes together right... with the lip on the seal facing the oil pan, like this?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	newoilsensor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1283165

Then, should i put teflon tape on the threads? Or blue loctite, or something else. Also does anyone happen to know the torque spec for reassembly?

Also, the black center gizmo kind of floats or rattles inside the hollow bolt, i'm guessing that is normal behavior for this? kind of a float action for the level? thanks for the help
                  96 MGM
                  sigpic

Comment

yep, its a float switch.

manual doesn't say anything about which way the gasket goes, only to use a new one when installing one. I'd probably have a look at the existing one and match it.

torque is 15-25 ft-lb.

It says nothing about any sealer on the threads eithehr.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok thanks!
                      96 MGM
                      sigpic

Comment

Here is a final followup on this issue. I had the local oil change place install the new sensor for me. I'd just been the week before so they didn't mind trying something that they don't normally do. didn't even charge me for it, tho i gave the guy what i had on me, about 15 bucks.

airc it was around 45 for the sensor + washer, so 60 bucks total. a lot better than the local shop that quoted me $240 to order one from ford and charge me an extra half-hour 'service fee.' another shop in town told me they couldn't get the part. another shop in town didn't know what i was talking about, and didn't care. the local dealership just said, you don't want to know. so thanks to the forum i saved myself almost 200 bucks on this job. thanks!

at my next oil change i had the shop also replace my oil pressure sending unit, after they removed the filter. i bought the correct tool and handed it to them along with the sensor. again they didn't charge me, again i had around 15 bucks on me. plus they change the oil for 24 bucks out the door, can barely just buy the oil for that any more.

plus now the "oil pressure" warning on the dash actually works
                        96 MGM
                        sigpic

Comment

They will remember you now for sure. Take care of them and they will take care of you. Nice to find a place that has this sorta relationship with a customer.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                          X