Swap you a fresh-ish AOD for a 5 Spd.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap you a fresh-ish AOD for a 5 Spd.?

so when i bought my wifes 88 gm, the tranny was roasted. (tv bushing failure, which i replaced with bronze) i picked up a limo aod from a family friend who had it in his lincoln limo. he used it for vacation trips and it only has highway miles on it. tranny had somewhere around 10k on a though servicing when i bought it from him. i took it to a coworker whose done trannys for 30 yrs. and had it check it over. i watched him as he inspected it and it was all very clean inside. when we put it back together i put i new filter and pan gasket on with Mercon V, and we drove it with

its sitting in my garage currently as the 88 is now scrap. i dont need another aod laying around. hoping somebody around here would be willing to swap my aod for a 5 spd. so i can do the swap on my 82. let me know any questions and such.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
    so when i bought my wifes 88 gm, the tranny was roasted. (tv bushing failure, which i replaced with bronze) i picked up a limo aod from a family friend who had it in his lincoln limo. he used it for vacation trips and it only has highway miles on it. tranny had somewhere around 10k on a though servicing when i bought it from him. i took it to a coworker whose done trannys for 30 yrs. and had it check it over. i watched him as he inspected it and it was all very clean inside. when we put it back together i put i new filter and pan gasket on with Mercon V, and we drove it with

its sitting in my garage currently as the 88 is now scrap. i dont need another aod laying around. hoping somebody around here would be willing to swap my aod for a 5 spd. so i can do the swap on my 82. let me know any questions and such.
    I dont have one for trade but would you sell the transmission i need one for my 88 marquis for the same reason tv bushings toasted it

Comment

i would but i imagine shipping to texas would be rough lol
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

just so you know, Lincoln transmissions are about an inch and a half longer than Ford/Mercury transmissions.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          just so you know, Lincoln transmissions are about an inch and a half longer than Ford/Mercury transmissions.
          On the first post didn’t he say it was for a 88 gm (grand marquis) so does that mean he put a Lincoln transmission in a mgm. Its so hard finding a transmission need to start me a tread for a transmission near texas

Comment

There's two different wheelbases for the panther cars. 2-door & MGM/CV (114.3"), & Lincoln TC (117.3"). Lincoln trannies have a 1.5" longer tailshaft in the trans so they can use the same driveshaft as the Grand Marquis. So you can use the Lincoln trans in a GM but you need to get a 2-door driveshaft from a Mark VI as it will be short enough to bolt in properly, IIRC. So there are two lengths of driveshaft for our cars because of the Lincoln tailshaft (even the Lincoln tudor cars got the longer ones). Good luck. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

This doesn't count the 98? 02?+ L or long wheelbase Town Cars, but that's a different drivetrain entirely.
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-06-2018, 04:25 AM.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
              On the first post didn’t he say it was for a 88 gm (grand marquis) so does that mean he put a Lincoln transmission in a mgm. Its so hard finding a transmission need to start me a tread for a transmission near texas
              yes the trans came out of my wifes GM, but it was a freshened up lincoln tranny from his limo. so i did knowingly put a lincoln trans in the merc. ford/merc trans ARE indeed a different length than this one. it was longer when i tried to install it. something i did not know about at the time. mechanically speaking its the same as any AOD as far as i know. it drove beautifully. and shifted snappy from the shift kit that was put in.

if someone has a lincoln they need a trans for then it would be a direct swap. but as mentioned, if you want it for a merc or vic, it will bolt up the engine and linkages fine but you will need a different driveshaft from a lincoln as mentioned or to modify yours to fit which is what i did.. i do not recommend the latter.

Comment

Eh, any trans shop should be able to cut and shorten your driveshaft to fit, or have the work done. It's usually $100 or so and they high speed spin balance it at the same time if they're a reputable shop. But it is an extra cost.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Lincoln driveshafts are longer too, you'd need to shorten a driveshaft to fit a Lincoln trans in a Ford/Mercury. 3" of wheelbase difference, half of it is in the trans, the other half is the driveshaft.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                    Eh, any trans shop should be able to cut and shorten your driveshaft to fit, or have the work done. It's usually $100 or so and they high speed spin balance it at the same time if they're a reputable shop. But it is an extra cost.
                    i cut a few inches off the driveshaft input to the trans, lowered the car to compress the suspension and stuffed it under there. as i said, not ideal or recommended. but it was what i had, it was free, and in the end, worked perfectly fine.

something ive been questioning though, if im swapping to a t5 what driveshaft will i end up using with a 95-97 rear end? i was thinking it would be the driveshaft of the 95-97 donor car..

Comment

Its not the driveshaft that is important, 95-97 driveshafts are the same length as boxes, it's the flange at the end that bolts to the rear, which can be swapped over using certain U-joints. If you got to look for a later model driveshaft maybe you can get lucky and find an aluminum one to swap in there at the same time.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        Its not the driveshaft that is important, 95-97 driveshafts are the same length as boxes, it's the flange at the end that bolts to the rear, which can be swapped over using certain U-joints. If you got to look for a later model driveshaft maybe you can get lucky and find an aluminum one to swap in there at the same time.
                        if that the case i wont even need to swap u joint will i? since ill be using the drive shaft and axle thus having the same flange?

Comment

That should be the case for the rear, however AFAIK the front yoke is different, so it may need a conversion U-Joint, or if you somehow have a police driveshaft like I did, the HD U-joints are the same as the later model ones
                          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Trying to dig through past posts regarding driveshaft options. Thought this was pretty relevant...

After reAding through several threads I've come to the idea that THEORATICALLY, I can...
                            -utilize existing box driveshaft
                            -put box pinion flange on 96 rear
                            -slide into t5
                            And not have any length issues, is this thinking correct?

This is all seeing how aluminum probably wont be an option for me from local yards. I was considering spending a bit on my steel one to have it balanced better. Or would it not be worth it? I say this because I've heard of high speed vibration issues from the stock one. Especially since I am also doing the swap to 3.73s.

Comment

Btw... this trans is still available and I do still need a t5...

Comment

Working...
                              X