Brake Booster Going South + Interchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Booster Going South + Interchange

Since I'm not really driving the '87 until the engine is fixed, there was one area that had caught my attention that I figure should be fixed beforehand.

For the longest time, whenever the brakes are applied more than 50%, you can hear hissing from under the dash. The auto parking brake release has been plugged since I got the wagon, so that's not the cause. It only happens with the brakes being applied. Last time I fired it up, any touch of the brakes got it hissing, and the harder you pressed, the louder it got accompanied by an idle speed increase. I'm inclined to believe the booster is shot. The brake pedal usually had okay pressure on initial application of the brakes, then gets rather stiff the more you press on it.

If I'm swapping the booster, would it be possible to use an non-ABS Aero booster, like one for a '92-'94? I know those stick out further, but are smaller diameter than the type on the '87. Also, would a newer type even be compatible with the older style master cylinders? I'm just looking at it as far as availability and price goes (I can get the later type cheaper through work) and access to components below it (like PCM or firewall grommets).

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

it works fine. The bolt pattern on the MC is identical. Just has to be the non-ABS booster. You will have to tweak the lines a bit since it moves the MC out a bit.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Awesome, that’s what I needed to know. I wasn’t getting anywhere with the search function.

My Cars:
      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Isn't the hissing normal when the brakes are heavily depressed on boxes? both mine do it.

Also which is the best booster to use? Don't 98-02 boosters work as well?
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

hiss as the pedal goes down is normal but if it constantly hisses and makes the idle shift thats probably not normal.

98+ probably work too but not 100%. Firewall side is the same, just don't know about the MC side. I have one on my car but it has the late MC with it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmm I haven't put a tach on it, but it may have a slight idle shift... Definitely hisses when held down, especially after a certain point. I have some uneven braking performance too.. sometimes it requires less pressure to stop, other times it feel great... has me baffled. Could be the booster i suppose.

If i replace it I'll probably put on a later MC too. Looks like theres a police one with a larger diaphragm, and a regular civilian one...which do you have gadget? I imagine the police one has more "uhmph"

Sorry about the thread jack Kodachrome
            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 03-07-2018, 01:19 AM.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              Hmm I haven't put a tach on it, but it may have a slight idle shift... Definitely hisses when held down, especially after a certain point. I have some uneven braking performance too.. sometimes it requires less pressure to stop, other times it feel great... has me baffled. Could be the booster i suppose.

If i replace it I'll probably put on a later MC too. Looks like theres a police one with a larger diaphragm, and a regular civilian one...which do you have gadget? I imagine the police one has more "uhmph"

Sorry about the thread jack Kodachrome
              It’s all good. I’m here for information one way or another.

I did get a booster ordered to my store for a ‘92 CV without ABS. One of the differences I noticed is the later one has a dual
              diaphragm and the earlier style is only a single diaphragm.

Anyway, I’ll probably get to removing the old one here in the next few days whenever I have some time to do so. Doesn’t look terribly fun, but it’s probably not the worst thing in the world.

My Cars:

Comment

can you take a couple pictures from under the dash (booster nut area) and post them up please?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

not precisely sure what it is honestly. 98-02 non-ABS, which is probably only found on the police cars in that time period. I wasn't aware there was a police-specific booster.

I think all the later ones are dual. Somewhere I did a writeup on them but basically it ends up with a fair bit more surface area despite the smaller diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    98-02 non-ABS, which is probably only found on the police cars in that time period.
                    ABS wasn't standard until '01. My aunt has a 2000 GMQ LS, and while I was lubricating the front end, I noticed it was lacking ABS sensors. Once I popped the hood, I saw it did indeed lack an ABS pump and there was no ABS lamp on the key on bulb check.

I know on my '97 the booster has a sticker that says ABS/TC on it.

My Cars:

Comment

all this newfangled stuff. I have two vehicles that came with ABS, neither works. Either way I'm glad ABS wasn't standard for as long as it was otherwise I wouldn't have as easy a time refitting late parts on my Towncar.

Comment

Interesting that the rockauto listings dont say ABS/NON-ABS... just police and not police
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          Interesting that the rockauto listings dont say ABS/NON-ABS... just police and not police
                          My parts catalog at work is funky like that too. I ordered a booster for a ‘92 CV with no ABS. Part number covers CV/GMQ 1992-2000 and TC 1990-2000. However, when you run a ‘00 CV, it gives the Police or Non-Police options. The ‘92 non-ABS booster part number is the one listed for ‘00 Police booster.

Anyway, I’ve got the part on hand. Maybe my friend and I can do it Sunday if there’s time. I’ll get photos under the dash then.

My Cars:

Comment

I am curious what the difference is between ABS and non ABS because they look identical and will physically interchange. I wonder if the only difference is number of diaphragms.

Comment

I think its the bolt spacing on the master cylinder side. The under-dash spacing should be the same on all of them. If not for the fact I don't like the pedal shape, I halfass considered fitting power adjustable pedals to my box, but then I remembered I'm a fatass that doesn't feel motivated to lay under the dashboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X