PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: WTB 8-Track Radio

Default WTB 8-Track Radio

The 86 has the base AM-FM. I was thinking since I'm changing it I'd like to see if I can find a factory 8-Track deck.

From looking at brochures, it looks like 84 was the first year the 8-Track wasn't shown or mentioned as an option.

Anyone have one they'd part with?

Thanks.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

You'd need the proper trim panel for it. I know the old 2 shaft models were taller than the later base / cassette radio. I've never seen one of the electronic 8 tracks in a Ford. The ones in Lincolns are fairly massive though. All Towncars actually have an adapter plate under the trim to convert from the 8 track stereo cutout to a standard single DIN size radio.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Thanks for the info. Both those photos are from the Ford CV brochures. But yeah I could see the Merc buyer being more willing to spend the $$ on the electronic stereo upgrades.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

You would be my friggin' hero if you put an 8-track in your car. That is badass.

fomoco panthers !

I remember the electronic am/fm/8 track in a Crown Vic. new. That was the most expensive stereo available from Ford. About $500. My Lincoln Versailles had one and sounded very good. I think that was standard on that car.
    The prices of a good used 8 tracks are pretty high now. Even untested junk is selling high. In my opinion, you would be better off with a stock am/fm stereo. Make sure it has the orange lighted dot on the right side of the dial. Mono radios were also available. Some people like them, I don't.
    I will check my stock, If I have a 8 track, I will let you know.

Thanks Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    My Lincoln Versailles had one and sounded very good. I think that was standard on that car.
    I just realized Versailles I saw at the JY before Christmas probably had one, I didnít think to look at stereos then.

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    I just realized Versailles I saw at the JY before Christmas probably had one, I didnít think to look at stereos then.
    Go check it out. It more than likely is in good shape. If you are into Ebay, there is a market for those Versailles parts in excellent condition. I can tell you what parts are in demand.
    You need to buy them right, like half price sale at the jy though.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-10-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Unfortunately that row was crushed in January.

fomoco panthers !

Birdofprey, I checked my stock and I do not have any 8 tracks anymore. I have a bunch of others which I will list in the for sale section.

Thank you for looking.

I picked up a 2 post one like this. The digital quadrasonic one is neat looking but with having the analog clock I think the 2 post one will match the look a little better. Plus I know I finding the correct bezel for the 2 post will be 1000% easier than finding the special one for the tall Quadrasonic 8-Track and in the CV wood grain pattern.

Tom, you're right about how nuts the price is for untested ones.

fomoco panthers !

Make sure the channel selector buttons work smoothly. They get stuck or when pushed in the dial does not move. That would mean having it cleaned or refurbished. More $$.
    Is the one you got a genuine Ford labeled unit ? Many of these were sold as dealer add ons and made by different makers. Some Motorola (same as the Ford unit) or SAS or ? Whatever the dealer could make the most money on. I remember the displays on the show room floor.
    Are the knobs nice with the chrome not flaking off ?

I got this one, I’m sure it’s a dealer one. I don’t think it’s as old as the seller thought (which is good)

The fact he included a testing video is what sold me on it. So many $150-$250 stereos on there that say “untested as is” forget that.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-For...-/372236615270

fomoco panthers !

A Clarion. Made is Japan is good.Those are 1970s connectors.Radio is about 1973 vintage. Pricey however you know it works well.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-12-2018 at 10:25 PM.